More undead pirates in the carribbean again... woo hoo ho and a bottle of hum

Started by JasonPratt, October 05, 2016, 08:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I pretty much love the first Pirates of the Caribbean, which could have been terrible and turned out to be genius.

I like the rest of the trilogy and even part 4.

So when I say I'm filled with meh concerning the recent teaser trailer reveal that another PotC is coming -- and one apparently scored without Zimmer's (or maybe we should say Badelt's) iconic themes...

...this is why.

The more horrorish vibe is, I guess, kind of appreciated for being a little different, but (a) I don't really think it fits the series; and (b) I don't trust that the trailer's tone will be evocative of the movie anyway.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

You gotta love the way those wind-powered sailing ships just pass right through the narrowest of openings. Just like they had engines or something.  ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

I liked #1

#2 was OK, but got a little silly toward the end

#3 was crap

#4 was mostly good, but the encounter w/ the cannibal tribe was pretty stupid

We'll see what happens here

And Black Sails is pretty damned good
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

...I cannot for the life of me remember a cannibal tribe in #4. I remember hot cannibal mermaids, but I thought that was one of the better sequences. (If also more than a little stupid on some points, like them being driven toward shore by a ship shooting fire on the water's surface, like they couldn't just swim beneath it.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

bayonetbrant

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 05, 2016, 10:47:52 AM
...I cannot for the life of me remember a cannibal tribe in #4. I remember hot cannibal mermaids, but I thought that was one of the better sequences. (If also more than a little stupid on some points, like them being driven toward shore by a ship shooting fire on the water's surface, like they couldn't just swim beneath it.)

However they ended up in the giant wicker balls climbing the cliffs. 
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

That was the second film -- and yes, silly Caribbean cannibals were involved.

Nefaro

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 05, 2016, 09:46:30 AM
may I recommend binge watching Black Sails.  O0

I think Black Sails got better each season.  Was a bit 'meh' with the first one.  Second kinda caught me here & there.  Watched third season pretty much straight through.

At this rate, 4th season may be pretty good.

Sir Slash

I gave up on Black Sails when the guys started kissing each other. Not my cup of Grog.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 07, 2016, 12:52:15 PM
I gave up on Black Sails when the guys started kissing each other. Not my cup of Grog.

Sounds like a certain old Robert Crumb comic strip...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

oh they're well past that now and going for lesbian prostitute sex.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

I had no idea pirates had so much fun. I guess that's where the 'Ho' comes from in "Yo Ho Ho. A Pirate's life for me".  ;D

Nefaro

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 07, 2016, 07:15:30 PM

oh they're well past that now and going for lesbian prostitute sex.

Yep.

Haven't seen the dudes smooching since.  Now it's the wimins rubbing donuts, or a threesome.

None of the first, and little of the latter, in the third season.   

Glad they mostly got away from nub-bumpin filler and started pushing the story more.

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 05, 2016, 09:46:30 AM
may I recommend binge watching Black Sails.  O0

Just because I kind of appreciate the more horrorish vibe of undead pirates as an attempt to change things up a bit, doesn't mean I much appreciate pirates and all that they entail in real damn life.  :buck2: (I'm not even very fond of the PotC glorifying pirate modes of life. That I like the films anyway as much as I do, is a testament to them getting enough around that for me to be entertained. That I like the One Piece anime more depends largely on the heroes not really acting like pirates at all, and frequent reminders that REAL PIRATES ARE FREAKING MONSTERS! -- which the hero, being functionally retarded, can't understand, he thinks piracy is about friendship and following your dreams.  :2funny:)

JasonPratt

Undead pirate thread: ARRIISSEEE!

Some time ago there was a Jack Sparrow origin game, which was loosely regarded as canon; we're apparently going to get the cinematic canon origin now. In flashbacks.

The final adventure! -- ...begins?

So... the start of a new trilogy? I knew the producers were angling for one, and I can sure understand #4 not really starting it.

While this is a much more informative and generally better trailer than what has come before, I'm still pretty meh about it. For one thing, the main villain is a pirate hunter who is still trying to be a pirate hunter except an eeeeeeeviilllll pirate hunter. Which seems like the series glorifying piracy again.  ::)