New Punisher Series

Started by mirth, April 29, 2016, 11:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hancock

Halfway through Season 2.  Netflix may have accomplished the best adaption to TV of a Marvel superhero to date.  This Matt Murdock has it nailed, not to mention my wife needs a cold shower after every show............

But then again, I'm into the superhero thing....Electra anyone??

"Colonel, I do not care to die, but I pray to God I may never leave this field."

Sir Slash

She looks angry. And I think I like it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: Hancock on May 01, 2016, 09:22:23 PM
Halfway through Season 2.  Netflix may have accomplished the best adaption to TV of a Marvel superhero to date.  This Matt Murdock has it nailed, not to mention my wife needs a cold shower after every show............

Yes indeed!

*slight spoiler*

I almost jumped for joy when Matt told his buddy, "I don't have to ask your permission to do this" after another (much shorter) tantrum.   

Felt that should've been done in the first season, before the excessive whiny bits from Foggy & Co.  The writers obviously recognized what the weakest part of the first season was and toned it down in the second.  Then ramped up the ultra-violence to eleven.   Excellent.  O0

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

LOVED the Punisher on Daredevil. :dreamer:   Hope this one's done half as well. But, of course, there can't just be bad guys. There HAS to be a big government conspiracy with our guys behind it. Boooo!
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 19, 2017, 12:03:51 PM
LOVED the Punisher on Daredevil. :dreamer:   Hope this one's done half as well. But, of course, there can't just be bad guys. There HAS to be a big government conspiracy with our guys behind it. Boooo!

Oh come on. The shady government types make the best bad guys.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

Yeah like Migsy, 40Cent, Breezy and myself.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

Maybe. Remember, we're shady.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 19, 2017, 12:03:51 PM

Agreed.

That bad guy trope has been so overused.  #:-)

Hopefully the rest of the show isn't.  If they can continue the character's intensity from Daredevil S2, I'll be happy.

Sir Slash

Being the Punisher should be easy. Just follow DD around and kill all the bad guys he leaves laying around unconscious.

SirAndrewD

Meh, we'll see where it goes but this doesn't do it for me. 

The Punisher isn't someone that has any kind of resolution or tangible target that can ever give him closure.  Part of the point of his character was that his loss was random and not targeted.  He could never get fulfilled vengeance for what happened to him, so he became an open ended "punisher" of what he considered evil. 

The previews don't really fit much with what the Punisher is.  It seems an attempt to give him more of a heroic status and put him against deep evil conspiracies that directly were the cause of his loss.  It takes away some of the moral ambiguity, and it really seems to misunderstand the character of Frank the way the 2nd Season of Daredevil didn't. 

If Frank ever felt like he'd gotten revenge for his family's murder, he'd eat a bullet.  He's not in it for redemption. 

Again, we'll see, but this series doesn't seem to have its finger on the nihilistic pulse that is what I like about the Punisher.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JudgeDredd

Just watched the first episode. If that's the taster of what's to follow, this is going to be a kick-ass series!  :smitten:
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

It's out??? I thought there were still a few days left...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd