So. We got a cat. So far I am thoroughly underwhelmed

Started by Huw the Poo, March 30, 2016, 03:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Huw the Poo

I'll tell you a couple of things our little bastard learned very quickly - the sound of the food cupboard being opened, and where we keep the bit of string.  She lets us know she wants to play when she sits right underneath where the string is kept and occasionally meows.

To be fair to her, she loves that bloody string and she'll play with it regardless of who's holding it, even the kids.  After 5-10 minutes she gets bored, and I give her a snack to reward her for being social.

True to form, there's precisely one brand of snack she'll actually eat.  She doesn't even like catnip-based snacks, despite enjoying licking catnip off a toy.  In fact, now I think of it, between snacks and toys and furniture and stuff, probably 95% of the money we've spent on her has been wasted.  Ungrateful shite.

undercovergeek

I can't help but think you have feelings for the little fella

Huw the Poo

I'd sell her for 50p if I thought the kids would let me.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 19, 2018, 03:37:57 AM
I'd sell her for 50p if I thought the kids would let me.

Half a quid sounds like a bit much, guv'nah.

If I wanted something around that could give half a shite about me or my surroundings, well... :)

JasonPratt

It sounds to me like progress is being made!  :bd: :coolsmiley:

Just not fast progress.

Cats are basically an affection-strategy simulator. Some are set on hard-mode, and take a lot of small steps; but when you get there, you can appreciate the achievement that you accomplished something difficult.

(They're also good as a theology illustration: God dealing with us == us dealing with cats.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

So. Cats have been jumping on desks and tables and messing our stuff up for hundreds of years, now.

bbmike

Yeah, but they eat mice and rats for us so we look the other way when they do that.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

bob48

Me too, Stagger.

Cats don't have owners, they have staff.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Labbug

OJsDad

Quote from: bbmike on February 20, 2018, 11:19:53 AM
Yeah, but they eat mice and rats for us so we look the other way when they do that.

I've got a dog that does that.  In fact, he doesn't wait for them to get in the house, he runs a perimeter a couple hundred yards around the house.  When he catches them, he tosses them in the air, bats at them, stomps on them.  Pretty fun to watch. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Sir Slash

I think my cat would be devious enough to work with the rats. You know, "You want ME to get rid of the rats? What's it worth to you"?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.