Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghostryder

hopefully not for a while. I'm playing with hyperlanes only now and have changed all my created empires to use it. I even use a mod to lower the number to make even more focused choke points. right now with doom stacks it can challenging. When the patch comes with the command limits we're know if the A.I. can combine fleets as it'll have to to put up a fight.

They released another update. the only bug I noticed in my games was when I was moving pops from planet to planet---many times you couldn't see any at all or you'd see just the top of their heads---seems that was fixed.

1.9.1 beta has been out for a few days now and looks good. It hasn't introduced any new critical issues and contains a number of desirable bug fixes, so I've rolled it out live as the official version now. Make sure you're opted out of any beta versions, and you'll get the update automatically. You may need to restart Steam to force it to check for updates.

Here's a list of the fixes:

- fixed broken tile graphics in colonization and resettlement screens
- fixed issue where the humanoid frontier outpost model was incorrectly swapped with the mammalian one
- reverted a previous GUI fix that caused anomaly windows to display blank or cut off
- fixed issue with human preset and custom empires not spawning at all, as well as the Space Platypus, because that's a travesty
- fixed off-center turret positions on military stations
- fixed the Technocrat VO name not displaying properly in the voice selection screen in Spanish and Russian
- fixed some low-repro possible crashes
- fixed the Plantoids Species Pack being rendered with remarkable brevity in the launcher as simply "Plantoid"
- fixed a crash that happened when you shift-select a fleet and a spaceport, then try to click on the spaceport in the list of selected items

We'll be taking a bit of a break for the holidays and to continue work on the future stuff mentioned in our dev diaries. Stellaris has made great strides in 2017, and we're just getting started: 2018 is going to be massive. Stay tuned.

Share:                

Martok

Dev Diary #98 is out, discussing the Fleet Manager screen.  It looks to be a massive quality-of-life improvement, and will be included in the Cherrayh (2.0) update. 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-98-fleet-manager.1060624/

Fleet design/templates, streamlined reinforcement mechanics, and Home Bases.  Yes please! 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Kushan

The Ground Combat Rework dev diary is out.

Personally I was hoping they would just patch ground combat out. Can't say I feel strongly one way or the other with these changes.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Jarhead0331

^cut completely? That's just crazy talk. One of the elements that makes a good 4x standout in my view is having a fully featured ground combat element. Planetary invasion is and should be a major part of the game with only minimal abstraction. It's one of the things that makes MOO3 such a classic. A really well developed and robust treatment of army creation, logistics, tactics, etc.

Don't mind most of these changes, but not thrilled to see that assault armies will automatically be deployed from planet to space. This makes them unnecessarily vulnerable and exposed and may impose energy costs for fleet maintenance. This is a foolish illogical decision. Players should be able to keep armies on the ground until they are ready to be deployed and organized.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ghostryder

I agree with JH that ground combat should be a big part but sadly in Stellaris it's just icons and abstract....miles away from MOO and galaxies away from Emperor of the Fading Suns. So they're changing how the icons get there and work...uh....wohooo?  Not for me. I was hoping for a bit more.

bboyer66

Think I am finally going to pull the trigger on buying Stellaris, just for this mod.

ghostryder

I play the mod often and can say it's immense. Features in it such as the races changing unions as the eras pass go to show the mod's depth. However on the downside being an alpha newcomers will have some difficulty as there is little in game help and no context help when hovering over things at all. For example your see different buildings added....say you have your default science building and then your see several others...and your read the discription and it'll say something like...."these new highrises represent a better living condition"....and your like..."uh okay. do i build just one? Or do i replace all the default ones with this?" you don't know and nowhere in any help window will you find out. you may even have to search the rather Looooong single FAQ in hopes of enlightenment or you may just give up looking and be left clueless.

I never did find the answer myself--and that just illustrates the frustration of playing the mod...there's so many add ons and changes and so little nothing to explain it all that learning the mod, which is about to evolve yet again with the hyperlanes changes inbound...is a big mountain to climb.

Having said that the vid above is quite old and the mod has progressed a lot since then. for example the Borg are now playable. Also 'Q' will pop up as an ingame tutorial...and he's fully voiced. But as mentioned, there's an awful lot he fails to explain and it can be frustrating trying to find answers.

Martok

I was underwhelmed and disappointed by the most recent dev diary.  I was really hoping for more. 

Either streamline things better (having separate armies for defense and invasion drives me crazy), and/or give us more meaningful options for ground combat & army organization.  I find the changes they're making are half-assed measures that will satisfy no one. 

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 22, 2017, 07:00:09 AM
Don't mind most of these changes, but not thrilled to see that assault armies will automatically be deployed from planet to space. This makes them unnecessarily vulnerable and exposed and may impose energy costs for fleet maintenance. This is a foolish illogical decision. Players should be able to keep armies on the ground until they are ready to be deployed and organized.
Entirely agree, Jarhead.  Not a fan of this decision. 

Quote from: bboyer66 on December 22, 2017, 08:43:52 AM
Think I am finally going to pull the trigger on buying Stellaris, just for this mod.

I'm super-excited about the New Horizons mod as well, although I've been forcing myself to hold off on playing it til it's more mature. 

The mod team just released a major update "Victory is Life".  As one can guess, it focuses heavily on The Dominion, although it includes numerous other additions/improvements as well. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

Odin Gaming posted his personal top 10 mods for Stellaris.  he also provides a matrix for which are compatible with each other.

https://www.odingaming.com/2018/01/08/top-10-stellaris-mods-2017/
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

I played a lot of Stellaris this weekend.

Has anyone determined whether the AI cheats? Its hard for me to believe that the AI empires can expand so rapidly AND maintain fleets that are overwhelming in power to mine, without cheating. I just cannot manage to do both. There is never enough energy or minerals, no matter what I do. Eventually, I always end up bumping up against an empire that controls substantial territory with large fleets in operation. They get pissed about my expansion and because my fleets are so weak, almost always end up declaring war. At that point, I pretty much have to bend over and just take it like a Vulcan.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

OJsDad

Hmm, I think your the only one with that problem JH.

J/K, I've run into that problem at times. I'm pretty aggressive on expanding, so I'm not sure if that what helps me at times or not. 

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 08, 2018, 12:33:32 PM
I played a lot of Stellaris this weekend.

Has anyone determined whether the AI cheats? Its hard for me to believe that the AI empires can expand so rapidly AND maintain fleets that are overwhelming in power to mine, without cheating. I just cannot manage to do both. There is never enough energy or minerals, no matter what I do. Eventually, I always end up bumping up against an empire that controls substantial territory with large fleets in operation. They get pissed about my expansion and because my fleets are so weak, almost always end up declaring war. At that point, I pretty much have to bend over and just take it like a Vulcan.

Are you not making friends with the locals?

jamus34

Are you playing with advanced AI starts?

I'm not sure if it's cheating but the RNG gods might place a hyper expansive race on its own where it grows like an algae bloom in a Mississippi summer.
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

I am specifically not playing with advanced AI starts.

I have a very aggressive expansion policy, as well. However, there is simply no way I can afford to continue buying colony ships and frontier outposts while also building and maintaining a strong navy. Many of the AI empires do not seem to have this problem.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog