Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 21, 2015, 12:32:00 PM
What was the status of Germany and Japan after WWII? They were not set up a permanent US territory.

Quote from: JasonPrattunlike West Germany or Japan post-WW2 there is no solid political and cultural infrastructure to promote for handing back over once stability has been achieved

This is a huge problem. It was a huge problem in Iraq, too -- and we're seeing the results of that problem playing out now.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Boggit

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 21, 2015, 03:51:58 PM
The UK did, but theres not much you can do when the weeping masses huddle over a picture of a dead boy on the beach like its the first and last infant tragedy in the world
And who later turns out to be the son of a trafficker who lived safely in Turkey for 3 years - the hypocrite! (It's sad about the boy, but it illustrates how the media are manipulating what is shown!).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3233802/Second-passenger-claims-Aylan-Kurdi-s-father-driving-boat-son-died-working-people-smugglers.html
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-depth/europes-migrant-crisis/migrant-crisis-father-of-dead-toddler-a-people-smuggler/story-fnws9k7b-1227523338355?sv=5b4a6377bbe3617094aa9e0253e3bbbf
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

Here's an idea...how about we round up and ship off The Media to the Mid East and then put the migrants in their place. Everyone wins.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on September 22, 2015, 06:17:34 PM
Here's an idea...how about we round up and ship off The Media to the Mid East and then put the migrants in their place. Everyone wins.

I think we have winner!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

I should be Viceroy of the EU. I would make everything more gooder. Like dissolving the EU, for starters.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

What would you replace it with? The Holy Roman Empire 2.0?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jejo68

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 22, 2015, 09:28:01 PM
why would it need to be replaced. The European countries has existed for 1000 of years before EU and would exist for another 1000 year after.

Just go back to a pure trade agreement and be done with the confederate states of germany we see today.

Boggit

Quote from: jejo68 on September 23, 2015, 12:32:33 AM
why would it need to be replaced. The European countries has existed for 1000 of years before EU and would exist for another 1000 year after.

Just go back to a pure trade agreement and be done with the confederate states of germany we see today.
+1000! And then some... O0

The whole EU institution now is just one Federalist mission creep, with the EU remaining as unaccountable as ever. Why anyone should obey their rules baffles me, after all they have no democratic legitimacy, and the European Parliament is not a real Parliament, but a rubber stamping office with little, if any, debate on the "laws" they pass. I cannot wait for our referendum to leave the EU, although if we vote to leave then no doubt they'll keep doing referenda like in France and Ireland until they get the result they want. It's not surprising that the Russian dissident Vladimir Bukhovsky likens the EU Commission to the Soviet Politburo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G81S4XtEBXw
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: Gusington on September 22, 2015, 09:22:25 PM
I should be Viceroy of the EU. I would make everything more gooder. Like dissolving the EU, for starters.
You should go for it! Even if you were completely incompetent (which I know you're not) you'd still look like an inspired genius compared to the blinkered muppets "running" :2funny: the EU. O0

jejo68

Quote from: Boggit on September 23, 2015, 06:09:50 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 22, 2015, 09:22:25 PM
You should go for it! Even if you were completely incompetent (which I know you're not) you'd still look like an inspired genius compared to the blinkered muppets "running" :2funny: the EU. O0

Here in Denmark the EU has long been affectionally known as EUSSR, but lately people are starting to call it confederate state of germany.

Gusington

I usually don't agree with Jejo but when I do it's usually about the EU. Maybe the nations of Europe really have learned from past mistakes and don't need a 'higher authority' to keep them from destroying each other. Sorry for the OT.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

panzerde

There's a lot to say for the Habsburgs. Most of it isn't good, but there's a lot to say...

I have it on good authority that there are talks going on within the US Government now about the US doing it's "fair share" in regard to the refugees and airlifting some number of them here.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Gusington

Does "fair share" = more than 10,000?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

A chicken in every pot!
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

panzerde

Quote from: Gusington on September 23, 2015, 07:16:07 PM
Does "fair share" = more than 10,000?

Not entirely sure. The information I have came from a briefing to a large Federal agency that might be called on to build some facilities to house the "fair share." So, sounds like more than a family or two.

I have the impression that this was more planning than execution at this point.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres