"This is the Chinese navy ... You go!"

Started by mirth, May 21, 2015, 03:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

I'm surprised it took so long for it to be posted here. Really nothing new in this episode...the Chinese are just a bit more ornery than usual.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Yeah, except they've been on a building spree in the South China Sea. Lots of new islands with air strips have been popping up and now it looks they are going to claim sovereign rights over the surrounding areas.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Nefaro

I watched the P-8 patrol video from CNN. 

There was a brief wide angle shot near the beginning with a shitload of vessels around this tiny man-made island.  The Chinese are definitely building a permanent military base in the Spratlys. 

We may well see some shooting between them and the other nations who claim them.

mirth

Quote from: Nefaro on May 21, 2015, 05:08:54 PM
There was a brief wide angle shot near the beginning with a shitload of vessels around this tiny man-made island.  The Chinese are definitely building a permanent military base in the Spratlys. 

They're building more than one.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/look-how-quickly-china-is-building-its-island-bases-out-1691571576

They've been very busy little ChiComm beavers.

Staggerwing

The Chinese play the long game. A bucket of sand here, a patch of coral there... as long as they stay below some kind of outrage threshold eventually they will have assimilated the neighborhood.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

I wonder what their reaction would be if Japan, backed by the U.S. Navy, started building the exact same kind of man-made islands in the very same disputed waters? Actually, since China can't be forced to dismantle the islands and will almost certainly use them in an attempt to extend their territorial waters, that's exactly what I would do if I were Japan or even the Philippines. Better to challenge China now in such a fashion than wait until they can solidify their play.

Centurion40

Quote from: Steelgrave on May 21, 2015, 06:55:32 PM
I wonder what their reaction would be if Japan, backed by the U.S. Navy, started building the exact same kind of man-made islands in the very same disputed waters? Actually, since China can't be forced to dismantle the islands and will almost certainly use them in an attempt to extend their territorial waters, that's exactly what I would do if I were Japan or even the Philippines. Better to challenge China now in such a fashion than wait until they can solidify their play.

The Chinese have a righteous hard-on for the Japanese.  As I understand the situation, they haven't forgiven the Japanese for the rape of Nanking, etc.

Any time is a good time for pie.

Steelgrave

^Yeah, I agree. If I'm Japan however, that's all the more reason to challenge the Chinese right now rather than let them continue to expand.

Gusington

IMHO the Chinese have a right to be royally pissed at the Japanese. So do the Koreans. And the Vietnamese. And the Burmese. And Filipinos. Malays. Aussies. New Zealanders. Brits. French. And us.

That said I would not be excited to go and fight for that man made rock.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

The Chinese have as much reason to be pissed at us ad they do the Japanese. OTOH, Mao murdered more of his own people than Stalin dreamed of. Have a cookie...

Steelgrave

What happened 70 years ago will never be forgotten by anyone...well, except for our college students perhaps. But this is today. China is aggressively seeking to expand their territory in what is recognized by the rest of the world as international waters, or in some cases, territory which lies within the recognized boundaries of another country. Whatever grievances China may have must be settled in some manner other than a territory grab. If WWII taught us anything, perhaps it should be the eventual price of appeasement in the face of naked aggression.....

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Ooh! Ooh! I know that one!

*using best facing-the-class voice* Not so good... ?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

So are we advocating turning a blind eye towards China resolving territorial disputes by bullying other nations? Chinese news reports were crowing about how they "won" the stare down with the USN overflying their bases. We are allies with Japan, Korea and the Phillipines, the very nations China is encroaching upon. Hell, we've made nice with Vietnam even and as I recall we fought a war against them as well.

I can't speak for what Russia is doing against Ukraine except that it is in part a reflection of our weakness. China is a competitor making moves in a long term power expansion, with Japan and the U.S. in their way. We should counter it now so we don't have to fight over it later.