Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 06, 2017, 07:23:43 PM
I watched the first few minutes of something called 'Deutschland 83' last night. It's about the East Germans sending a young spy into West Germany to infiltrate the West German Military during Reagan's first term. It looks to be quite interesting for anyone who has an interest in the time period. Subtitle warning for those who find that a buzzkill.

It's a good series.

However, I thought some of the plot points, later on, were too artificially forced.  You'll probably see what I mean eventually.

BanzaiCat

Sir Slash

That does look good BC. Thank you for posting it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

Just finished Generation War. To sum it up, "wow" does it a great injustice.

It's 'only' three episodes, but each is movie-length (about 1.5 hours each). Highly, highly recommend it.

BanzaiCat

Found something else I thought you guys would like.

It's on Netflix, called "Nobel." It's a Norwegian-filmed series about a Norwegian Special Forces soldier in Afghanistan. The intro alone is pretty mind-bending. I wish I could find a trailer for it that's in English, but I can't - which is very weird, considering the series on Netflix is indeed in Norwegian, but it has English sub-titles.

Here's a link to it on Netflix.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80131415

BanzaiCat

Here's another gem of a war movie: Hyena Road, on Netflix.

I've read some describing this as "Canadian Sniper," but I've seen the movie Sniper and don't think the two are comparable. I liked Hyena Road much more than Sniper. Not that Sniper was a bad movie, I just liked this one better.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'd like to see it but for some reason it's not available on Canadian Netflix or Amazon Prime.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 14, 2017, 02:53:38 AM
I'd like to see it but for some reason it's not available on Canadian Netflix or Amazon Prime.

That is so dumb, regional restrictions. I could understand it maybe, say in the UK, but not Canada.  ???

ESPECIALLY when it's a movie about the Canadian Military!

Sir Slash

I'm enjoying "Marco Polo" on Netflix. It takes awhile to get going but once it does, it's not bad. Lots of plot lines to get straight.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Barthheart

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 14, 2017, 02:53:38 AM

It played on CBC Sunday night....

Silent Disapproval Robot

I cut the cable about 5 months ago.  Streaming only for me these days.

ghostryder

I cut cable years ago. I have netflix and amazon--along with a $7.99 sub to cloud TV that offers up One news network, newsmax and the fight network along with the blaze and about 50 other channels I never watch...but the 7.99 is worth it for the news and the fight network which has a lot of MMA. Overall amazon is the best deal. Just this week alone I probably exceeded the $99 yearly fee just on free shipping--where I've ordered a memory foam matress, the bedframe for it and a TV stand. I never tried one before and locally the cheapest was $400. Amazon had them for $150. Another $50 for the platform--and I got a new bed for about $200.

Locally even cheapy matresses and frame were upwards of $500. I'm pretty pleased with the 10" memory foam. pretty comfotable. I was leary as I have a bad back but alas no back problems with it. I don't know how they do it----if i had shipped those boxes themselve they would have exceeded the $200 I paid for it. Even a small box costs $15 to ship--and this stuff was shipping and received in 2 days.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Nefaro on March 01, 2017, 11:46:29 AM
Hrmm.. what's this?   :coolsmiley:

..early tease for Netflix movie Bright...

"Dark" modern fantasy?  Got my attention.

At first I thought "Shadowrun" but without the cyberpunk it sounds more like "Hellboy".

I started watching this late last night. I'm about 30 minutes in and would be more if not for distractions. Anyway, it's pretty good - I'm impressed with Will Smith's acting chops in this one. The setting is nothing like what I thought it would be - I was expecting something related to Shadowrun but apparently people, Orcs, Elves, Fairies, etc. have been living side by side since the dawn of mankind.

undercovergeek

Watched it last nights - 7/10

Elves are posh bad asses and orcs are tough assholes - who knew?

Reminded me of that one with James caan and the aliens