What's Cool in Science This Week?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 09, 2017, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

I prefer the For All Mankind timeline.  :Dreamer:
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

So, the lander apparently landed safely, but not without some problems.

Quote...lifted off on Feb. 15, when a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket sent Odysseus toward the moon. The lander's deep-space trek was short and relatively smooth, though things got a bit sporty toward the end.

Odysseus arrived in lunar orbit yesterday (Feb. 21) as planned. In the home stretch of its touchdown try today, however, the lander's handlers discovered that Odysseus' laser rangefinders, which allow it to determine its altitude and horizontal velocity, weren't working properly. So the team pressed NASA's experimental NDL payload into service for this vital function, pushing the landing try back by two hours to put the new plan into action.

This last-minute workaround — which required the team to design a software patch on the ground and beam it up to Odysseus — did the trick. At 6:11 p.m. EST (2311 GMT) today, Odysseus fired up its main engine for a crucial 11-minute burn that slowed the craft's descent toward the lunar surface. Then, at 6:23 p.m. EST (2353 GMT), Odysseus touched down softly near the rim of the crater Malapert A, about 190 miles (300 kilometers) from the lunar south pole.

Success wasn't immediately apparent, however. It took about 15 tense minutes for the IM-1 team to latch onto Odysseus' signal.

"What we can confirm without a doubt is, our equipment is on the surface of the moon and we are transmitting," mission director Tim Crain said after that milestone moment. "Odysseus has found his new home."

If all goes according to plan, the lander and its payloads will now operate for about seven Earth days on the lunar surface. IM-1 will end when the sun goes down at Malapert A, as Odysseus was not designed to survive the bitter cold of the long lunar night. (It takes the moon more than 27 Earth days to rotate once on its axis, so each lunar night lasts roughly two weeks.)

https://www.space.com/intuitive-machines-odysseus-private-moon-landing-success
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

Ingenuity, the little helicopter that could, took its final flight on Mars last month.  Seems it lost one of its blades.

https://arstechnica.com/space/2024/02/final-images-of-ingenuity-reveal-an-entire-blade-broke-off-the-helicopter/

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

steve58

GDS_Starfury

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd