Ogre Campaign

Started by Tripoli, October 06, 2017, 07:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

For us children of the 70's, the recent release of a computer version of Steve Jackson's Ogre is a trip down memory lane.  I purchased the original back in  1977 (I believe) for $3.95.  The game was originally ported to the Commodore 64 in 1986, with a massively updated version released on Steam yesterday, containing not only updated graphics, but new maps and a campaign game.    For those not familiar with Ogre, a Wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogre_(game) gives a pretty good run-down of the game.  To summarize, it is a very simple game, set in the lat 21st century with most scenarios featuring a single hulking armoured robotic tank called an Ogre, against a collection of  much weaker infantry, armored and artillery, called "targets."  The object of a scenario is usually a variation of stopping an Ogre from exiting the board, or destroying a high value unit.  The game is both simple, well balanced and quick.  In 1977, these characteristics made it ideal for diversion in study hall, when I really needed to be doing something more productive.  Forty years later, these same characteristics continue to make it an ideal diversion when I really need to be doing something more productive.... ;D

For the first scenario, I have a rogue Ogre tank that is trying to exit the western edge of the map.  Because of a river and some associated boggy ground, it is likely to use one of two bridges to cross:

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Tripoli

Turn 2
As expected, the Ogre (a Mark III version) quickly rampages through several of my units, destroying multiple infantry squads and a few light tanks, and disrupting several heavy tanks and a GEV.  My first task is to slow it down by damaging its tracks.  However, I also want to eliminate its long ranged main gun to help preserve some of my own combat power. Having the infantry close assault the Ogre while it is in the woods gives me a chance to damage its tracks while preserving at least a fraction of my infantry force. (Turn 2 Image below)

In Ogre, the GEVs are critical units for defending against a Ogre.  Unlike other units in Ogre that have a movement and combat phase, GEVs (a type of hovercraft) have movement and combat phases, followed by a second movement phase that allows them to hopefully scoot out of range of the Ogre.  Because of this, they are used like horse archers were used against the Roman Legions: They shoot and scoot, trying to attrite the Ogre and slow it down, while the main body can coalesce around the Ogre and kill it. Here, I've managed to eliminate the Ogre's single long range gun and a few of its 45 tracks before getting the GEVs out of the way.  Unfortunately, the rest of my force will have to deal with the Ogre's payback from its secondary armament.  A few more squads of infantry and a couple of heavy tanks are lost.  (Trun 2 post-GEV image below).

Tripoli

Turn 4

At this point, I've heavily damaged the Ogre's tracks, reducing it from 45 to 19 tracks.  This reduction reduces the Ogres's movement to 2 (it will be 1 when I get it down to 15 tracks).  However, the road gives it a +1 hex bonus.  Unfortunately for me, the Ogre has reached the bridge, and is capable of outrunning the forces behind it.  Only a relatively thin screen of missile tanks and GEV stand between it and the Western edge exit points.  I attempted to destroy the bridge, but apparently either the game has a bug that prevents it, or my buttonology skills were deficient, because the bridge is still standing.

Tripoli

Scenario 1, Turn 5
The Ogre crosses the bridge, but has been reduced to only 3 tracks.  With a road speed of only 2, I am able to catch up and immobilize the Ogre thereby winning the scenario.  I personally believe I should get bonus points for immobilizing it at the end of the bridge, thereby  making my engineers and logisticians an opportunity to prove their professional skills by removing a extremely large, dead robotic hunk of metal from blocking a major LOC. :)

JasonPratt

Wow, that does look nice!

Stagger, I saw the book in stores long ago when it was first released, but never got around to buying it (much less reading it).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Tripoli

Ogre has always been a fun little game.  Doesn't require a lot of time or mental strain.  I tend to play complex wargames (WITP, CMNAO, etc) so the change of pace is nice.  If people are interested, I'll continue this campaign series.

JasonPratt

Is there narrative context to the campaign? -- and/or carryover effects from playing a mission?

BanzaiCat

Cool read, thanks!

I just got the OGRE Reinforcements pack and am hoping there's something campaign-ish in there. There *are* more scenarios, but I'm not sure about the narrative.

Which gives me an idea...(exactly what I don't need right now, lol...)

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 07, 2017, 11:07:54 AM
Is there narrative context to the campaign? -- and/or carryover effects from playing a mission?

I don't think there is a narrative to the campaign, other than ogres are going rouge, and the player needs to stop them.  However, player decisions do not appear to affect the storyline, which merely acts as a linking device to the tactical problems.  My impression is that it is a series of tactical problems, with no carryover effects between scenarios. 

JasonPratt

For this purpose, we need a cat who isn't afraid to banzai!

...to banzai ogres.

...in this game. But also in some related games to which I hope the cat of which I am theoretically speaking returns some day.

FarAway Sooner

Dusting off this old topic simply to state:  Miowaro Tomokato was a stud.

besilarius

Keith Laumer was a great read.  Besides Bolo his Retief stories are a lot of fun.  In fact, they could almost be lifted complete as plots for the Orville.
Bolo, which inspired Ogre, is still available at Baen books.

https://www.baen.com/the-compleat-bolo.html
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.