Main Menu

iPad3 specs revealed

Started by Shelldrake, March 07, 2012, 03:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on March 08, 2012, 01:26:32 PM
One of my buddies just bought a ASUS Transformer - I anxious to see if it fits the bill and presents the both of best worlds.

Is that the one with the detachable keyboard? I saw that about a month ago in a store and it looked like it might be the right idea.

The keyboard looked tiny, though. There is a point where most folks need a minimal amount of real estate to type by feel, and it looked small.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on March 08, 2012, 03:03:31 PM
Quote from: MIGMaster on March 08, 2012, 02:41:09 PM
What the new iPad doesn't have:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505266_162-57393098/buzz-about-what-new-ipad-i-doesnt-i-have/?tag=cbsnewsSectionContent.10

Siri is trying to kill all iPhone owners, after all. Maybe Apple finally figured that out.

I think what Siri is really killing is Apple's server bandwidth. Almost each Siri interaction has to phone home
to do it's thing. Adding a few million iPads to the load will probably do in the iPhone support so Apple is probably
holding off until the server situation is beefed up. Imagine a whole bunch of lonely people sitting around in their
housing units talking to Siri for hours on end  :o. Apple can always add it later in an update when they feel ready to
take on the extra load.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

And just as the blossom on the new iPad was starting to bloom...

QuoteApple and five large book publishers could be hit with a lawsuit over allegedly teaming up to raise the price of e-books, according a report Thursday.

The U.S. Justice Department has warned Apple, along with Simon & Schuster, Hachette Book Group, Penguin Group, Macmillan, and HarperCollins, that it plans to sue them for antitrust violations, according to the Wall Street Journal, which cited unnamed sources familiar with the inquiry.

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/08/technology/apple-ebook-price/index.htm?hpt=hp_t1

MIGMaster

QuoteAlmost each Siri interaction has to phone home
to do it's thing.

Really ? That's unbelievable - the network traffic would be incredible  :o

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on March 08, 2012, 05:03:42 PM
QuoteAlmost each Siri interaction has to phone home
to do it's thing.

Really ? That's unbelievable - the network traffic would be incredible  :o

Yup. In retrospect probably not the brightest of ideas, though with most things Apple, they get points for creativity. Steve must have been too ill to stop that madness.

Sigma One

I'm not terribly impressed. I'm more than happy with my iPad2 and for all the hoopalah for getting a new Apple product, the new iPad should only be for those that are looking to get an iPad. Heck its probably better to buy a used iPad2 now that people will sell them to put towards an iPad3.

LongBlade

We have an iPad 1. The only reason I can see to upgrade is if you want a camera to use their face time app or whatever. Which works perfectly well on the laptops in our house. Ergo - no need for an upgrade.

Opinions differ, but I am happier with my Fire than my iPad, for reasons expressed in another thread.

Mr. Bigglesworth

I never even looked at any ipads knowing they were going to churn a new model every year at inflated prices. Maybe now its worth looking at the competition's products.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Sigma One

To be honest, I bought my mom a Fire for Christmas and she loves the hell outta it. It's a tad smaller than an iPad but for a fraction of the price and how well it works, it's worth it. My only issue is that it can be difficult using the software, but I blame that on the limited hand time I have had with it.

Ulfang

I have to admit I'm looking at getting a new IPad. I have a ipod touch which I love and gave a Samsung Galaxy Tablet which is ok but The apps are pretty poor compared to the ones I have on my Touch. Obviously the games are nothing compared to a PC or console but I've always fancied one for when I'm lounging on the couch and the Ball n Chain is watching her reality garbage on the telly.
Xfire: Ulfang
Steam/PSN/Xbox: Gavmundo