Pro Strategy Football 2019

Started by Nefaro, September 08, 2018, 08:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: dinsdale on September 14, 2018, 07:11:04 PM
Where it shines is the game, maybe it will be interesting to play a season, but trying to do a career would miss out on the strongest part of the game - 60 minutes of attrition and trying to win the key moments on the field.

In my opinion, I don't think it should have to be one or the other, playing a good individual game or playing a career...think they both should compliment one another.  I absolutely want a strong game play, but with the option to play it over a career in a meaningful way.  I am glad to hear the game playing piece is strong, then all the focus can shift to making the season/career aspect better:)

Pro Strategy Football

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 15, 2018, 03:59:40 AM
Where it shines is the game, maybe it will be interesting to play a season, but trying to do a career would miss out on the strongest part of the game - 60 minutes of attrition and trying to win the key moments on the field.

In my opinion, I don't think it should have to be one or the other, playing a good individual game or playing a career...think they both should compliment one another.  I absolutely want a strong game play, but with the option to play it over a career in a meaningful way.  I am glad to hear the game playing piece is strong, then all the focus can shift to making the season/career aspect better:)

I agree.  One of the career features I added this year, from users' requests, was the ability to interact with every game each week of the season.  You can coach any game, just simulate it, or watch it played live.  Now I generally coach my team only, maybe watch one or two, and sim the others.  Any interesting game, I review their highlights.

Great point about how one aspect should feed the other!

Pro Strategy Football

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 15, 2018, 03:56:50 AM
Quote from: Pro Strategy Football on September 14, 2018, 11:54:11 PM
One last thing.  Are there any games you suggest I purchase this fall, to get a better idea of the management side of things?

From an american football standpoint, Front Office Football is the king of career based games at the moment.  Later this year, OOTP will be releasing an updated version as they now have teamed up together.  If your looking for general concepts regardless of the sports.....typical ones include OOTP, Football Manager, Wolverine Studios Basketball games.  Even Madden and NBA 2k do things reasonably OK, at least from a light perspective.  There is also Football Mogul which is probably the lightest of the bunch, not sure how they handle these things nowadays since I simply refuse to play that one anymore:)  Axis 18 football just came out yesterday and now includes this type of stuff, no idea how good but I bet probably on the lighter side as well.

Thanks very much!

dinsdale

In career games I will never play every game, I mostly sim and play key games. I'm enjoying the actual games in this one, which is why I'm not at all missing the career mode. I think it will be hard to beat Front Office for careers, dealing with players, contracts and the cap is a massive undertaking to get right.

I think its like tactical v strategic war games, I don't think there are any that get both right, but loads that excel in one or the other.

Pro Strategy Football

Quote from: dinsdale on September 15, 2018, 09:05:02 AM

In career games I will never play every game, I mostly sim and play key games. I'm enjoying the actual games in this one, which is why I'm not at all missing the career mode. I think it will be hard to beat Front Office for careers, dealing with players, contracts and the cap is a massive undertaking to get right.

I think its like tactical v strategic war games, I don't think there are any that get both right, but loads that excel in one or the other.

I agree completely.  When I was younger, my brother and I would enjoy "Third Reich" but also "Assault on Malta."

And I know I will never match Front Office for career, so all I can do is try to add enough to make the career part both enjoyable and simple for most users, while also keeping to my coaching roots.  Even my contracts, when I add FA, will be much simpler than FO, and that's ok.  As Clint Eastwood said, "A man has to know his limitations."  :-)

Grim.Reaper

Don't get me wrong guys, if you want to keep it focused on gameplay, that totally is fine if your happy with that and your sales are what you want.  I am just giving one person's perspective and certainly you shouldn't change anything to appease me, I just might not be the target audience which is fine.

Who knows, maybe someday I end up giving it a try.....

Pro Strategy Football

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 15, 2018, 03:38:54 PM
Don't get me wrong guys, if you want to keep it focused on gameplay, that totally is fine if your happy with that and your sales are what you want.  I am just giving one person's perspective and certainly you shouldn't change anything to appease me, I just might not be the target audience which is fine.

Who knows, maybe someday I end up giving it a try.....

Oh, I'll certainly add more career stuff next year, including a light form of free agency.  I just know that I (one guy, working part time on the game) can never have all the management features of Front Office, at least, not by next year.  And by having my gameplay features in the same game, I think it muddies the game a little for folks.  Thanks for your input, honestly!

Pro Strategy Football

Hey, speaking of career, I've thought about adding more of a "role playing" aspect to the game, where as the coach / manager / owner, you have a phase between games each week.  Maybe it's interacting with the media or maybe just some actions with your team, and it can affect your team's morale.  However, that's been too tough to tackle yet, and I don't even know if it's something people would like.  Thoughts?

And if other games already do this, let me know.  Thanks.

CptHowdy

Quote from: Pro Strategy Football on September 15, 2018, 06:27:00 PM
Hey, speaking of career, I've thought about adding more of a "role playing" aspect to the game, where as the coach / manager / owner, you have a phase between games each week.  Maybe it's interacting with the media or maybe just some actions with your team, and it can affect your team's morale.  However, that's been too tough to tackle yet, and I don't even know if it's something people would like.  Thoughts?

morale is over hyped. there have been championship teams where the players hated each other and cases where coaches on those teams hated each other. would be more interested in being able to train up a player during the season. football manager, nba2k series have added social media type feeds where you can read what the fans are saying and such. it personally adds nothing to the game in my view. football manager series also has interviews where if you say the wrong thing it could impact your teams performance. a lot of people skip those by saying no comment or they send an assistant to do it! since your time is limited i would spend it on other things than trying to implement a morale system.

Grim.Reaper

Adding "role playing" element would certainly further enhance the experience as many of the previous games already mentioned have some/all of those elements.  It gives the player yet something else to concentrate on besides the day to day grind.  However, since you do appear to have limited time, thinking those things are less important at the moment then the career basics already discussed.  It took many of those other games a number of iterations before that stuff go fleshed out.  Personally I think morale, team chemistry, personalities, etc. are an important part of team sports (some more than others) even though I am sure some championship teams have figured a way to work around it.  Even if there is proof none of it matters in building a team, it still is very much part of the daily grind of team pro sports and would be great to be represented someday.  Social media/interviews/etc. are also part of the world today although putting them into a game will have to be well done so people just don't want to skip them...often come across as a grind versus adding real value even though they do likely have a place in the game.

Let's get the basics in (i.e. free agency, trading waivers, IR, etc.) and then we can take it from there:)

Pro Strategy Football

Thank you, guys, excellent feedback, and you're right.  With limited time, the RP aspects can wait until a different year.  Have a great day!

Nefaro

I'd personally advise against it.

The long-running Football Manager series (the soccer one) started implementing a bunch of media & morale stuff years ago and the fans have increasingly hated it.  I've only tried a few in the series, but also think it was a bad move and that they should tear that stuff out before it can improve any further.  It's just a terrible and flippant annoyance in FM.  :hide:

The implementation of such ethereal things will never win over many people in these sports management sims IMO.  Can only cause a lot of headache.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on September 19, 2018, 03:07:21 PM

The implementation of such ethereal things will never win over many people in these sports management sims IMO.  Can only cause a lot of headache.

Not sure about that, people in sports sim world often clamor for more control and detail (without sometimes thinking of the impact)....I think people welcome it if done in a good and non-tedious way, along with it being potentially optional.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 19, 2018, 05:13:38 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 19, 2018, 03:07:21 PM

Not sure about that, people in sports sim world often clamor for more control and detail (without sometimes thinking of the impact)....I think people welcome it if done in a good and non-tedious way, along with it being potentially optional.

For every 1 person who's happy about the implementation of individual players' feelings, there will be three who are not. 

I'm sure that attempting to emulate the touchy feelz isn't quite so straightforward as it may seem at times, and is open to too much personal interpretation.

Pro Strategy Football

Well, it's at least another whole version away, because my focus on next year is now configurable leagues, online multiplayer, in-game editor, AND free agency!  (oh, and a few small things that people have suggested, that won't take much time, but will improve the experience)

That's plenty for part time work, LOL!  Thanks, guys.