Karl König - grandfather's pictures of WW2

Started by Keunert, October 06, 2012, 10:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keunert

Hi guys,

my dad just gave me all the pictures that my granddad took during the war. I will post some of them. I enjoyed reading Deniss's war related stories and
maybe some of you will be interested to hear the little i know of my grandfather's story.

Karl König was born 1905 in Lustenau, Austrias west, besides Switzerland and Germany. He grow up as a son of a chimney sweeper. He went to a trade school during WWI and became a salesman.
Some of his cousins and one uncle left war torn Austria during the 20's and settled down in the US. He married my grandmother during the 30's. they rented a restaurant from 1938 on. In 1940,
the year my father was born, he got enlisted in the Wehrmacht. He became a Funker (radio operator) in the Luftwaffe and took part in Fall Gelb. I have pictures from France dating from September 1940.

In 1942 he was part of Case Blue, there are pictures from Voronezh. Later in 1942 he recieved quite severe wounds to his eyes and was sent back to Austria for surgery. Sometime in 1943 he was stationed in
Greece where he stayed until they fled back to Austria thorugh Yugoslavia in complete disorder. Almost at home he was caught by Allied troops and sent to a prisoner camp where he stayed for some months.
This was the moment my grandmother, having two babies by that time, got the first sign of life from him in months.

He later became a social democrat, worked in the insurance business and talked only reluctantly about his war experiences. One thing worth noting, was he explaining to my dad, that the Nazi regime's atrocities
were obvious to everyone that belonged to the Wehrmacht. He told that witnessing fully loaded trains at stations with the sound of people crying and dying was unavoidable. He once visited a veteran's meeting
and felt uncomfortable there.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

MIGMaster

I take it he went back to Austria after he was in the US for a while?

Keunert

No he never left Austria, only some of his relatives. Looking through his family pictures i found it interesting to see that it would have been possible that cousins of his were fighting for the US in the same war.
Oscar Wilde

Windigo

Keunert

Here is a picture of him during 1940. The Luftwaffe emblem indicates that he could be a Flieger or a Funker. But i am not sure about it. Any help welcome!

Oscar Wilde

Windigo

LongBlade

Quote from: Keunert on October 06, 2012, 10:49:31 AM
Here is a picture of him during 1940. The Luftwaffe emblem indicates that he could be a Flieger or a Funker. But i am not sure about it. Any help welcome!

damn how can i directly show a flickr pic?

Not sure, but here's the link. Folks can just click it to view the image.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88127351@N05/8059680595
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Keunert

Him sitting on a Char D2 in France. The tanks seems to have no damage. According to Wiki this tank suffered more from technical failures than from Pz III - maybe that was the case with this one too.
My grandfather in the middle, Hitler to his right.

Doing another Holmes reveals that this is most likely tank number 2013 (number on front) Austerlitz, destroyed on May 27, 1940, near Dury les Amiens, east of Dieppe, commanded by Capitaine Berthelot:
http://www.chars-francais.net/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=548

Oscar Wilde

Windigo

Keunert

The same tank from a different angle. Again no signs of damage. Another picture supporting the cliché of the French fighting spirit.
Oscar Wilde

Windigo

Keunert

the notes on the back of the pictures:

Russian refugees fighting head louses, August 1942

Oscar Wilde

Windigo

Keunert

Another picture of an abandoned french tank, a Char B1. There is 'Rivoli' and '490' written on it. A quick google comes up with this:

Rivoli was abandoned June 5.th 1940, north of Beauvais (100-120 km north of Paris) because of engine damage. The tanks was commanded by Lieutenant Gazelle and was part of the,  47e BCC, 1ère compagnie.
heres a link with a combat report: http://www.chars-francais.net/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=371

Oscar Wilde

Windigo

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

Keunert

A French Bloch MB.200B4

September 1942, captured russian armored train at Voronezh:

13.7.1942, Russian prisoners at Kursk

August 1942, russian refugees

In Greece, a visit to the Akropolis

A He-111 (i think) at the airfield he worked from 1943 on

Oscar Wilde

Windigo

Steelgrave

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

steve58

Keunert - looks like you've got a treasure trove of photos.  Thanks for sharing!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)