The Rise Of ‘First Person’ War And Why So Few Have Noticed It

Started by bayonetbrant, April 20, 2015, 12:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The Rise Of 'First Person' War And Why So Few Have Noticed It

(will have to insert videos later)

QuoteThere's no need to watch that whole video so don't be turned off by its 37 minute length. The only thing I want to talk about here is the bizarre fact that you're watching a battle in the Syrian civil war on a GoPro camera mounted to the front of a tank.

Think about that for a second. Just a few years ago this is something that would be unthinkable. Technologically it simply couldn't have happened but in just the last few years we've moved from first person stunt bike riding, surfing, etc to first person war and people seem entirely comfortable with this.

I'd like to argue that the reason people are so comfortable with this, the reason it seems perhaps even mundane is because of this next video. Again, no reason to watch the whole thing.

People in their 20s and even their 30s have seen fake war from a first person perspective for the better part of a decade with games being so visually realistic now that in a matter of years they'll probably be very difficult to tell from the real thing. My feeling is that this is a kind of 'new normal' and while that may seem like an obvious statement I think it's worth considering that what we seem to have here is life imitating art on the most deadly canvas possible.

Just to try and make my point further, here's a vid clip of GTA5's tank combat which looks a lot like the very top video of real war.
I subscribe to a lot of these "war footage" youtube sites because I pay attention to world events and sometimes even write about them here. I'm sure many others subscribe for similar "I want to be informed" types of reasons but there's also a certain set of people that follow these videos to root for one side or another or simply because they think it's cool. I'm not criticizing them. I think it's understandable but it's also something you could not do prior to existence of tiny HD cameras like the GoPro. And yes, I do have to wonder if this readily available footage makes war seem fun or awesome to people because of how much it looks like the video games they've been playing for years.

This kind of footage is already used as propaganda online and it makes me think of how GoPros are being attached to athletes to give an audience a first person perspective of football or soccer, etc. There's something perverse in that comparison but you probably get my meaning.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a "won't someone think of the children" piece. But I haven't seen anyone talk about this specific phenomenon and I believe it's worth thinking about. Technology in this case is causing cultural change. It is changing how people think about and view warfare and that's worth noticing. TC mark
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Airborne Rifles

Not sure if this relates but...

When I was a platoon leader in Baghdad we would come back inside the wire, drop our gear, and then a large chunk of my platoon would go into their play wood cubbies and fire up their game rigs to play Call of Duty. It always seemed odd to me, since we'd just been doing the real thing a few minutes before.

BanzaiCat

AB, I imagine those guys enjoy what they do, otherwise they wouldn't be in it. That said, CoD probably scratches an itch they have for that, but in a without-consequences manner, blowing $hit up with abandon.  :coolsmiley:

Airborne Rifles

No doubt. They were good soldiers, a really good platoon. I just thought it was ironic that their leisure activity was a video game of their work activity.

BanzaiCat

Yeah, I see your point regarding work versus play. If anyone came up with a game that simulates instructional design, I'd pass on it.

Airborne Rifles

Of course I'm no different. I'm an army officer who plays tactical and operational level wargames. Maybe my former soldiers and myself are in the right line of work?  :)

BanzaiCat

I pretend to be a great strategist just about every week. And pretend to be some kind of semi-interesting broadcaster on a certain podcast, too. That doesn't mean I'm going to quit my day job, anytime soon. So my hat is definitely off to you and your soldiers, AB. :)

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.