Main Menu

MMORPGs

Started by Tpek, March 01, 2019, 08:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 02, 2019, 07:56:39 PM
WoW is a fucking blight on the market, and a lot of MMORPGs would have done a lot better if it wasn't for people's addictions to that bloody game.  It's not even a very good game in my opinion, and certainly shows its age; a lot of more recent MMORPGs do everything a hundred times better than WoW ever did (like Rift, ha).  But the market will only accommodate so many players, and most of them cling stubbornly to WoW.  Like it or not, it has surely held the genre back.

Not sure it is a blight on the market, even in its current state I would take WOW over 98% of Eastern MMO's. Now most of those are a blight on the MMO market.

AchillesLastStand

Was an avid LOTRO played until around 2010, went back after it went FTP and it just isn't the same. The cash shop is a HUGE turn off, if they would have just removed it for the recent Legendary servers I would have played longer than 1 month. I mean you are already paying 15 a month so why not?

May play a bit of WOW classic just to see how it is, as early WOW wasn't bad at all I just preferred EQ2.
ESO is pretty good, probably the king of MMOs currently with GW2 and FF14 close behind.

Been playing Star Wars Galaxies on the Legends private server and it is pretty awesome.

Yskonyn

What I REALLY don't like is that you still have the immersion killing 'all players need to kill the same boss' over and over again.
The story is ok and they tried hard to provide a singleplayer quality rpg experience in a multiplayer environment, but for me it just kills immersion.
That and lots of filler quests are just go to x to kill y amount of z.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

FlickJax

I played loads of WOW for years and LOTRO for a bit,  Warhammer was great too but shortlived, most of the others I only played short term.

But there is room for new ones I think but the single player needs to be improved a lot to bring me back full time to one.

Tpek

@Flick, you are aware of Return of Reckoning (https://www.returnofreckoning.com/) right?

@Achilles, I played a bit of FF14 at launch and came back to it for a month about a year ago, but could never really get into it.

FlickJax

Quote from: Tpek on March 04, 2019, 07:27:44 AM
@Flick, you are aware of Return of Reckoning (https://www.returnofreckoning.com/) right?

@Achilles, I played a bit of FF14 at launch and came back to it for a month about a year ago, but could never really get into it.

I had a lot of problems when they first appeared is it sorted now?

Geezer

RoR is a work in progress.  They have fixed many issues and are heavily modifying the original WAR.  There was some kind of serious falling out within the dev team last year, but I did not follow all that.  I've played it off and on for a while.  Off of it right now.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

acctingman

WoW is still the best solo rpg mmo out there, imo. Yes, it has asshats, but there is a reason it's still going strong after 14+ years.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Steelgrave on March 03, 2019, 02:27:04 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on March 03, 2019, 01:22:54 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 03, 2019, 01:07:31 PM
A few years back, had a great time on dedicated Grogheads server for 7 Days to Die...that is the way to play. 

Quoted For Truth!  :notworthy:

I often wonder if 7DTD will ever be finished. I first picked it up around Beta 4.2 and have some 2k hours under my belt. Every time I fire it back up, it's a different game. A good game or I wouldn't have so many hours invested, but still I wonder what their "end game" will look like.

I don't know, but I have about 350 hours into it...bought it maybe five years ago on sale.  Fun Pimps seem to take two steps forward and one back from time to time...but overall its moving forward and is a great ride. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.