Main Menu

The Art of Conflict 5.0

Started by PopeFrancis, December 04, 2019, 05:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeFrancis

I'd like to see all the people on the team to consider themselves "owners" and I'm going to insist that it be free to the players. 

I guess the main thing to do first is design the development processes and protocols, the goals of the project, with a lot of discussion on the design for midcourse goals and to explicitly state what code modules will be needed.  And then build the tools we're going to need.  For example, I'd like to see us develop an editor that we can use to build scenarios with because there may be people who would rather build scenarios and AI scripts rather than write computer code.  I like the idea of using XML files because I want us to use plain english where it's possible to do that to avoid any confusion down the road. 

We're going to need at least one scenario for development and testing.  And I anticipate the need for several files for various things like: city names, equipment types, terrain types, etc.

I'd like to establish a repository for all the files we build.  One place where we can go to get the latest source code, data file, whatever.  For now we can just attach files to our posts. 

We're going to have to decide exactly what we're going to build.  A statement of the goal for the project.  I'd like to see the player be able to find whatever information he/she needs for decision making instead of having to rely on third-party programs.  [ WITP-AE has "WitpTracker" as an optional addon for the information the game doesn't supply to the player. ]  At one time I developed a "CSV_reader" program to list all the details for all the attacks for a turn for the TOAW game engine but it never took off because it did almost nothing at all.  A report about the attacks during that turn....big deal.

I hate that I have to jump through hoops to post something on this forum.  A catch'me and a secret question just to post something.  Really?
there's two things that everyone needs to know:
(1) 90% of the human race lives near the coast.
(2)  human beings can't breathe under water.

DoctorQuest

Let me try posting here.

No issues. Are you signed in to the forum all the time?
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

If the issues continue send me or JH a message.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

tomlowshang

Hi PopeFrancis, just checking in. Unlike you I have the same user name everywhere. ;D   I expect the anti-bot stuff will go away once we have more posts.

I'm going to get the TOAW veterans take the lead on the design since I've only played for about a year.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: tomlowshang on December 04, 2019, 06:48:46 PM
I expect the anti-bot stuff will go away once we have more posts.

When the Robot revolt begins, it won't be because the Grogs were asleep at the wheel. 

We're the last line of defense from mankind becoming slaves to the machines, and don't you forget it.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

there should be no question that must be answered in order to post, only in order to register and that, is an unfortunate necessity. Have never heard anyone complain that it is too onerous in the past. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

76mm

76mm checking in here.  Let's start by creating a roster of interested people with names, e-mails, relevant skills and what you'd like to work on?  To avoid spam bots, let's avoiding posting that data in this thread...you can send the info to me and I'll compile the roster.

Also, sooner rather than later we'll need another github account, and some kind of forum would be nice.  I have a spare NAS that I think I can use to set up a forum, although it might take me awhile because I've never set one up before.  Unless someone has a better idea?

Has anyone started to develop an outline of issues to be fleshed out?

76mm

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 04, 2019, 07:24:40 PM
there should be no question that must be answered in order to post, only in order to register
Actually ffter registering, to post I have to type in the CAPTCHA and then answer various dumb questions...

PopeFrancis

Here's what I see when I try to post something.  Anybody know how to make the attached picture full size?

tomlowshang

Quote from: PopeFrancis on December 04, 2019, 07:56:18 PM
Here's what I see when I try to post something.
The questions go away after three posts. Don't sweat it. Anti-spam measure are very common on forums these days.

PopeFrancis

Oh.  Okay.  This is my 4th post and they aren't there now.  That's a good thing.  I sent a PM to the moderator for no reason it turn out.  Sorry dude.

PopeFrancis

QuoteI have a spare NAS that I think I can use to set up a forum, although it might take me awhile because I've never set one up before.  Unless someone has a better idea?
WTF is an NAS? 

Is this too "naval" to use as a splash screen?

tomlowshang

Quote from: PopeFrancis on December 04, 2019, 05:50:52 PM
I like the idea of using XML files because I want us to use plain english where it's possible to do that to avoid any confusion down the road. 
I'm going register a nay for XML. While it is plain text, the mark up makes it hard to read and edit by hand, which will be necessary until an editor exists. JSON or YAML are better choices from a manual editing stand point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAML

PopeFrancis

Quote from: tomlowshang on December 04, 2019, 08:18:47 PM
Quote from: PopeFrancis on December 04, 2019, 05:50:52 PM
I like the idea of using XML files because I want us to use plain english where it's possible to do that to avoid any confusion down the road. 
I'm going register a nay for XML. While it is plain text, the mark up makes it hard to read and edit by hand, which will be necessary until an editor exists. JSON or YAML are better choices from a manual editing stand point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAML
I agree that it's confusing.   I've never used JSON or YAML before.  I trust your opinion.

76mm