Main Menu

Recent posts

Current Events / Re: Israel
Last post by W8taminute - Today at 09:29:25 AM
Star can you look up a gentlemen called Hen Mazzig on "X" for me?  Since I don't have an "X" account I couldn't not pull a quote of his from a post he made yesterday that is related to what is happening at Columbia University and at other U.S. college campuses.

His post contains a list of bullet points that ring very true and he end's it with this statement:

"If you were honestly more concerned with advocating for Palestinians than you are hating a specific group of people, you would be disavowing these actions the loudest.  But instead we hear a deafening ___________."
Books & Reading / Re: What are we reading?
Last post by ArizonaTank - Today at 08:51:30 AM
Just starting:
Rogue Heroes: The History of the SAS, Britain's Secret Special Forces Unit That Sabotaged the Nazis and Changed the Nature of War by Ben Macintyre

This book about the origin of the SAS was the basis for a BBC action/drama mini-series a few years ago. But the book is much more about military operations...and while I eventually lost interest watching the BBC mini-series, the book is fascinating.

I highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rogue-Heroes-History-Britains-Sabotaged/dp/1101904186/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&dib_tag=se&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.jTTlfWSwERvcCOpbn2mG8rCGWRKXUnZDAQHL4Kog7oygNtFZH2GTN9jBdgfvftzV4JIDtGvfG-cEonm6BerMV-YZXKJLYbyzE8anPzYIGsHqJWERlibxfDr4oN05g5VsvC5RCoRG-3gVEjUsasK7ThbHlsQpkH-IPQtHqEQ_T4GftFd1yFJAEPL0uPdAQ3OzjuyKqy6ptCMxDfSBXs4g2Z0p9mmv4XcFMULXkZze7IU.AEwrhsjYs4MkZscuQEA0JHv9oGUlgB_LK3Y_lzyT69k&qid=1713966320&sr=8-1
Last post by Gusington - Today at 08:32:40 AM
^Agreed, it's popping up at campuses everywhere like a bad rash. One more item for me to be worried about as my older daughter goes off to college this summer.
Computer Gaming / Re: Victory at Sea: Atlantic a...
Last post by ArizonaTank - Today at 08:22:43 AM
Quote from: rss334 on April 06, 2024, 11:01:48 AMWatching & waiting for more info on VAS Atlantic but have not purchased yet.  All the games below offer something different but I've yet to find one that I feel has everything I want. 

The Great Naval Battles series holds up well, despite it's 'last century' graphics and interface. Also, the price is really good for what you get.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2702080/Great_Naval_Battles_The_Final_Fury/
Music, TV, Movies / Re: Shogun - Hulu / FX Reboot ...
Last post by ArizonaTank - Today at 08:07:09 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on Yesterday at 09:11:32 PMHmm...

Are they going to make season 2?  Compared to the 80s series, this one ended in an odd place.

I agree, it did seem to be left in an oddly open place.

Overall, I thought the series was brilliant!
General Discussion / Re: Pictures of Greatness!
Last post by GDS_Starfury - Today at 07:36:33 AM
Last post by GDS_Starfury - Today at 06:28:07 AM
this bullshit needs to be squashed fast

https://twitter.com/i/status/1783007217479975184
Current Events / Re: Russia's War Against Ukrai...
Last post by FarAway Sooner - Today at 01:31:17 AM
My sense is that the threat of providing nuclear weapons to Poland is a better bargaining chip than it is an actual deployment option. 

The Russians have been threatening NATO with nuclear annihilation for the better part of two years now.  There's no reason that we shouldn't work with our allies to make it clear that we can rattle our sabers as well. 

Unless we were threatening the Russians with the nuclear weapons we have based in the UK.  Then we'd be rattling our sabres.
Computer Gaming / Re: Victory at Sea: Atlantic a...
Last post by GeneralHawk - Today at 12:12:26 AM
Thanks for this summary! Makes it easy to see different strengths and weaknesses of these games.

Quote from: rss334 on April 06, 2024, 11:01:48 AMWatching & waiting for more info on VAS Atlantic but have not purchased yet.  All the games below offer something different but I've yet to find one that I feel has everything I want. 

Task Force Admiral:  Don't know never played

Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts: No airplanes that I know of but most realistic combat + custom ship building / economy based in the Atlantic just like victory at sea.  Multiple Countries

Uboat/Silent Hunter: Obviously subs only - Uboat about boat and crew management a unique game personally I think it is fun

War on the Sea: I'd call it the same as Victory at Sea but less arcady combat focus on pacific
Allied vs Japan.  Not really any simulated economy like Dreadnoughts or the new VAS Atlantic game. Its fun but after a while leaves you wanting a bigger map to play on and more to manage.

Victory at Sea Games (ironclad, pacific, atlantic) - from what I saw the new game is still a little arcady but improves over the prior VAS games which were very arcady.  Of the bunch(on paper) Atlantic has the best economy/resource simulation of them all. Allied vs German.  Atlantic is in EA, but the developer has always been responsive and has a history of improving games.  I guess if your no looking for full realism and interested in watching and/or providing feedback on how the game develops it is a good buy.

Computer Gaming / Re: Sins Of a Solar Empire 2
Last post by solops - Today at 12:10:00 AM
Quote from: Destraex on Yesterday at 11:17:47 PMThat sale will be a while as the game is not even out of early access yet. It'still missing one side iirc.
Ah! Sadness  :(
Well, I have 30+ games I've never played and two or three I cannot quit. I am sure I can keep busy until the game is done!