Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Admiral

Quote from: Toonces on May 25, 2019, 10:18:54 AM
The F-16 is for pilots that couldn't qual on the carrier.

F-14 > F-18 >>> F-16

8)
Funny you'd say that - found just 2 days ago a review of both F-18 and F-16 by a Navy jockey on an exchange program.

http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3477

Verdict from a Hornet rider - fly a F-16 to seduce your future wife, fly a F-18 to keep her and go camping with the kids.

Nefaro

Quote from: The_Admiral on May 25, 2019, 09:52:15 PM

F-14 > F-18 >>> F-16

8)
Funny you'd say that - found just 2 days ago a review of both F-18 and F-16 by a Navy jockey on an exchange program.

http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3477

Verdict from a Hornet rider - fly a F-16 to seduce your future wife, fly a F-18 to keep her and go camping with the kids.

So the Viper is the hot-rod energy fighter in that match-up.  I'll be happy with that since I've formed a serious habit of taking it vertical in pvp dogfights.  <:-)

I could be wrong, but I got the subtle impression that CW Lemoine, who served flying both, somewhat preferred the 16 to the 18, after watching a few of his vids in the DCS F-18. 

Channel-> https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlemoine/videos

mikeck

F-16 is sexy armed with 2 AAMs and nothing else. Not sure how sext it is compared to the F-18 when combat loaded with 4 AAMs, external fuel tanks, ECM pods and targetting pods. Realistic combat load, I'm taking the F-18. But I'm not a pilot or an aviator
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MengJiao

F-14 > F-18 >>> F-16

8)

I can barely fly the Mig-19:

Skoop

Then the f16 is for you, the more modern and western the jet, the easier it is to fly.  Those 60s/70s era soviet jets are some of the most difficult to fly.  That was my take away from the mig 21, huge workload on the pilot to fly and fight.  Hard to spot a target when your heads stuck looking down at dozens of dials and gages.

Jarhead0331

I am absolutely loving the Harrier right now. I'm finding it to be the easiest to pick-up, learn and retain of all the high-fidelity modules I've spent any significant time with. Its systems are a nice combination of digital and analog and the systems are advanced, but not too advanced. I've been spending very long sessions in VR bombing the hell out of shit in the desert. Just awesome stuff there...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

But the real question is: can you transition from fwd flight into a stable hover or not?   >:D
If you can, you da man!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 31, 2019, 02:22:32 PM
But the real question is: can you transition from fwd flight into a stable hover or not?   >:D
If you can, you da man!

My present insurer will not permit me to attempt such maneuvers anymore under threat of cancellation of policy. I racked up way too many claims in a one week period.

Received my first Purple Heart yesterday. Was rolling in on a platoon of BTR-80s and apparently caught some small arms fire. Please send donations in lieu of flowers.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 31, 2019, 11:22:42 AM
I am absolutely loving the Harrier right now. I'm finding it to be the easiest to pick-up, learn and retain of all the high-fidelity modules I've spent any significant time with. Its systems are a nice combination of digital and analog and the systems are advanced, but not too advanced. I've been spending very long sessions in VR bombing the hell out of shit in the desert. Just awesome stuff there...

Sold! This will be my first DCS. I watched videos on the Mirage 2000 hoping a basic fourth GEN fighter would be a good one.  Figured not a particularly advanced radar but great flight characteristics. Christ there's like 20 different steps to start the damn engines! and apparently the Radar is finicky... needs to be slewed onto the target and half the time drops locks. I would have no idea if I was doing something wrong or not

I'll give the hairier a shot. Am I correct in that there is no radar and the hairier so there's no medium range air to air missile's correct? Only aim-9s? So I would mostly be doing attack runs correct?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on May 31, 2019, 03:59:39 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 31, 2019, 11:22:42 AM

Sold! This will be my first DCS. I watched videos on the Mirage 2000 hoping a basic fourth GEN fighter would be a good one.  Figured not a particularly advanced radar but great flight characteristics. Christ there's like 20 different steps to start the damn engines! and apparently the Radar is finicky... needs to be slewed onto the target and half the time drops locks. I would have no idea if I was doing something wrong or not

I'll give the hairier a shot. Am I correct in that there is no radar and the hairier so there's no medium range air to air missile's correct? Only aim-9s? So I would mostly be doing attack runs correct?

Correct. Only 3 air-to-air modes - gun, and sidewinder SEAM and Boresight modes.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

I just saw a YouTube video on the carrier and the guy was saying it is the hardest DCS aircraft to fly by far! Do you find that to be the case? I mean it's not a high-performance fighter so I guess if you're trying to treat it like an F-15 or something but is it hard just to fly around in the thing or do you think he's just talking about hovering?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on May 31, 2019, 04:18:03 PM
I just saw a YouTube video on the carrier and the guy was saying it is the hardest DCS aircraft to fly by far! Do you find that to be the case? I mean it's not a high-performance fighter so I guess if you're trying to treat it like an F-15 or something but is it hard just to fly around in the thing or do you think he's just talking about hovering?

He must be talking about VTOL, otherwise, he is a moron. I have all the major modules and I find the Harrier hits a sweet spot. Cold start is reasonable, although INS alignment is complicated, and possibly bugged, this can be skipped in the settings options. I learned to use guns, rockets, bombs in CCIP and Auto modes, as well as IR guided Mavericks in single sitting. Mastering these systems in some other aircraft took much longer. I also mastered general flight and navigation very quickly in the Harrier. I have not touched some of the other ground combat systems, like the Litening TPOD, but from what I know its not particularly complicated.

Pro-tip...do not use the tutorial missions to learn. I found them to be way overly complicated and thorough and much longer than necessary. Watch the Grim Reapers tutorials on youtube and you'll be good to go. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

Yskonyn

Quote from: mikeck on June 01, 2019, 07:59:45 AM
10-4

The correct themed term would be 'Roger' or 'Sierra Hotel!'
:)

This guy knows his shit btw:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLml_c09ciucvv3CIsWImCEqY5XIdbfPxu
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

^Yes. Red Kite is another great youtuber. My concern with his AV8B tutorials is that most of them are over a year old. The Harrier has come a long way since then. Many of the Grim Reapers tutorials are only 4 months old. For the most part, they are more current.

Mikeck...how are you making out?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog