Commands & Colors: Ancients Releasing by end of August

Started by Grim.Reaper, August 22, 2018, 08:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlickJax

Looks like a tablet game :(  like the styling to a degree but not the scale.

jomni

Nefaro

Bardolph

Quote from: Philippe on September 12, 2018, 08:37:20 AM
This looks pretty simplistic compared to FOG II.

I must say that I've found pretty much everything Hexwar does fairly disappointing.  GMT hasn't figured out that when you do a port you're very likely to end up with the worst of both worlds.

A shame, because there are a lot of GMT games that I would love to see in digital form, but they need to be redesigned, and with Hexwar that isn't going to happen.

This. CC:A is a great boardgame. I won't touch this port with someone else's ten foot pole.

HoodedHorseJoe

I do wonder who GMT talk to when they try to shop around for digital partners. In fairness, there can't be many candidates for them to choose... they renewed their deal with Playdek after HexWar was already announced as the developers of CC:A, so maybe from now one they'll try PD. I'd love to see what Slitherine/Matrix do with a license like this - I guess it depends which dev team they give it too as some are definitely better than others.

I don't think the Lordz, for example, were perhaps the best team to give Check your 6! too... but maybe the OoB guys, or Shenandoah?

Beyond that though... I mean who would you guys pick to develop this? HexWar have sort-of built a reputation on cheap digital wargames and some semi-decent license ports, but they're the kind of company where "you get what you pay for" springs to mind. If you wanted to have someone put some real effort in... Nomad Games now have the Quartermaster General license, and have a proven record with many FFG licenses. Maybe they could give it a shot.

Not sure who else you'd turn too beyond that.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

MengJiao

Quote from: WargamerJoe on September 13, 2018, 03:29:49 AM
I do wonder who GMT talk to when they try to shop around for digital partners. In fairness, there can't be many candidates for them to choose... they renewed their deal with Playdek after HexWar was already announced as the developers of CC:A, so maybe from now one they'll try PD. I'd love to see what Slitherine/Matrix do with a license like this - I guess it depends which dev team they give it too as some are definitely better than others.

I don't think the Lordz, for example, were perhaps the best team to give Check your 6! too... but maybe the OoB guys, or Shenandoah?

Beyond that though... I mean who would you guys pick to develop this? HexWar have sort-of built a reputation on cheap digital wargames and some semi-decent license ports, but they're the kind of company where "you get what you pay for" springs to mind. If you wanted to have someone put some real effort in... Nomad Games now have the Quartermaster General license, and have a proven record with many FFG licenses. Maybe they could give it a shot.

Not sure who else you'd turn too beyond that.

Yep, this is an odd problem.  Except for Vassal (which is great -- and apparently games can be reworked a bit to function better on vassal) -- I'm not sure any board-to-computer transfers have worked well.  I don't think FG2 compares well with the boardgame Hoplite for example (though its not a direct transfer, there seems to be some loss of focus in going from a board game about a period to a more generalized representation.