Pro Strategy Football 2019

Started by Nefaro, September 08, 2018, 08:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

While it still doesn't have financial/contract negotiations or free agency, it does have the draft, draft trades, and the essentials for running a Career NFL mode. 

Plus, the in-game "Expert Mode" play calling is not only good but fairly easy to use and filled with informational Help button initiated windows.  It also keeps track of all the usual GM-sim stats, of course.

Also has actual 8-bit style graphics displaying the outcome of each play.  Rather reminiscent of older games.  I dig it because it's better than the others which don't have actual motion in their replays. 

While it still needs to fill some areas, my first impression of this year's version is quite good!   :bd:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/913340/Pro_Strategy_Football_2019/

Has mods for adding the NFL Logos, jerseys, fields, etc..

Image pack:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iRPhcy0U5ZhU89rpKC4j_G_q_XDe428l/view

Current season players file (the .CSV file), and other NFL image packs (less custom fields in this one, though):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HfsHZoeqP97V15GktYN21sIpbyMNeYbw

You have to drop the image folder into the ->

C:\Users\"YOUR USER NAME"\AppData\Local\psf2019\images

.. folder.  Specifically drop the unzipped "max2019" folder in there.  Plus drop the .CSV player file in the same appdata folder as the default ones (if you want to use the current season roster mod). 

Next you have to run the game and choose "Manage Leagues" on the main screen.  Click on the default 'League' entry, click 'Edit', click 'League', click on the entry space labelled "Images Folder:" and type in the folder name of that image pack ( max2019 ) and hit your ENTER key.  The press "Dismiss" and click on "Save As" (NOT "Save"!) and give this new custom NFL-appropriate league a recognizable name since you'll be choosing it every time you start a new one.

While it's highlighted in the League list, you can also choose to "Import CSV" to add that current NFL player list .CSV from the big zip pack if you want.

In-game league editor has (i)nfo button for pop ups telling you where to put which file/folder in your specific case. 

Note:  You'll need to have Windows folder options set to "show hidden files and folders" in order to see Users/NAME/AppData folder.  Do that by:

Windows 7 -> 

Open your file browser
    choose 'Organize'-> Folder and Search Options -> View
    check the circle labelled  "show hidden files, folders, and drives" then press OK.

Windows 10 ->

Open File Explorer from the taskbar.
    Select View > Options > Change folder and search options.
    Select the View tab and, in Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives and OK.

Grim.Reaper

no go for me until free agency and contracts added.  doesn't make much sense how playing a career can be good without them since you can only improve by using the draft which is not realistic....i consider those things essential.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 08, 2018, 08:30:34 PM
no go for me until free agency and contracts added.  doesn't make much sense how playing a career can be good without them since you can only improve by using the draft which is not realistic....i consider those things essential.

Definitely needed.

I've mostly been enjoying it for the in-game play calling, relatively quick pace & easy UI.  Surely the new game shine will wear off at some point and it will start feeling repetitive, and I'll move on hoping next year's version will add some of those things.   For $20 I'm getting some value.

It caught me at the right time as I had been shockingly considering picking up the new Football Manager Mogul.  But that damn thing continues to go without needed feature additions year after year.  *sigh*  I also don't have a lot of faith in FOF's interface getting much easier to use anytime soon, despite their upcoming partnering with the OOTP engine and liking some of the (obviously work-in-progress) feature additions from the last version.  It's nice to have one with a GUI & assistant AI that I'm not constantly fighting against to do my intent.

Grim.Reaper

Axis Football coming out on the 14th......boasts these new editions.....

New in Axis Football 2018

Massive Franchise Mode overhaul (see Franchise Mode below)
Penalties
50+ new formations
1000+ new plays
Stylized playbooks
New player movement controls and animations
Six new stadiums
New uniforms
Four new teams
Defensive hot routes
Improved stat tracking
Improved player attribute system
Improved gameplay and AI

Franchise Mode Features
Player contracts
Trades
Injuries
Practice squads
Free agency
Retiring players
Weekly and yearly awards
Dynamic, tiered league structure featuring playoffs, promotions, and relegations
New GUI design for ease of use
Unlimited seasons
16 week seasons
Player progressions based on performance, age, potential, and playtime
End of season drafts
Season-long team stats
Individual league leader stats
Franchise stats
Depth chart control
Play, coach, spectate, or simulate your matches
League and team schedule viewer
Spectate other matches

Game Modes
Player vs AI
Coach Mode: Call the plays and watch the action
Spectator Mode: Watch a simulated game between the AI
Local Player vs Player
Franchise Mode
Modable Features
Team names, colors, logos and rosters
Full player attributes
Player portraits
Uniforms
On-field logos and endzone graphics
Cheerleader uniforms
Crowd graphics and clothing

Grim.Reaper

Well, after reading more on Axis Football, looks like that will be a pass for me as well....they implemented some kind of tier/relegation season structure, similar to what the Premiere League has...no standard format for a normal NFL season!  Why do developers overthink this stuff and try and come up with something cute.....at least make this stuff optional.  Looks like the wait for OOTP's version continues, only shot we have for some realistic american football.

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 08, 2018, 10:44:10 PM

Penalties
50+ new formations
1000+ new plays
Stylized playbooks
Six new stadiums
New uniforms
Four new teams
Defensive hot routes
Improved stat tracking
Improved gameplay and AI

Franchise Mode Features
Player contracts
Trades
Injuries
Practice squads
Free agency
Retiring players
Weekly and yearly awards
Dynamic, tiered league structure featuring playoffs, promotions, and relegations
Unlimited seasons
16 week seasons
End of season drafts
Season-long team stats
Franchise stats
Depth chart control
Spectate other matches

Game Modes
Player vs AI
Local Player vs Player
Franchise Mode
Modable Features
Full player attributes
Player portraits
Uniforms
Cheerleader uniforms

DennisS

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 09, 2018, 07:50:27 AM
Well, after reading more on Axis Football, looks like that will be a pass for me as well....they implemented some kind of tier/relegation season structure, similar to what the Premiere League has...no standard format for a normal NFL season!  Why do developers overthink this stuff and try and come up with something cute.....at least make this stuff optional.  Looks like the wait for OOTP's version continues, only shot we have for some realistic american football.

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 08, 2018, 10:44:10 PM

Penalties
50+ new formations
1000+ new plays
Stylized playbooks
Six new stadiums
New uniforms
Four new teams
Defensive hot routes
Improved stat tracking
Improved gameplay and AI

Franchise Mode Features
Player contracts
Trades
Injuries
Practice squads
Free agency
Retiring players
Weekly and yearly awards
Unlimited seasons
16 week seasons
End of season drafts
Season-long team stats
Franchise stats
Depth chart control
Spectate other matches

Game Modes
Player vs AI
Local Player vs Player
Franchise Mode
Modable Features
Full player attributes
Player portraits
Uniforms
Cheerleader uniforms

I am familiar with Axis Football. It's been around for a long time, generating mediocre games for year after year. His initial game was on Canadian football, and had very little resemblance to American football. Then, a very curious number of weird design moves made it even LESS like football. Relegation mode? Really?

This is the worst simulation of American football that exists. Seriously.

dinsdale

It might be good for playing historic seasons before free agency.

Anyone know if you can cut players or trade them? Or does every draftee stay on their team until retirement?

Grim.Reaper

i believe you can only trade draft picks....really doesn't seem to be a way to change your roster besides the draft....just not my cup of tea.  don't believe you can play historic seasons either.

just not my thing, but others can enjoy:)

Nefaro

Quote from: dinsdale on September 09, 2018, 04:17:32 PM

It might be good for playing historic seasons before free agency.

Anyone know if you can cut players or trade them? Or does every draftee stay on their team until retirement?

You have to cut players after the draft since it still has roster limits.

As mentioned, you can only trade draft picks at the moment.

I'm not sure how long players stay with a team since there's no contract negotiation.  Dunno if it's a set number of seasons for each draftee or randomized.  *shrug*  Their stats do change over time due to experience and age, however.

Grim.Reaper

i was reading comments from the developer in another forum and they indicated not sure if and when they will include things like free agency.....all they would say is depends on the sales of the game and how much ask from the community.  if they do it, said would be a light version and may not include salary stuff.  in the same post a person asked about having ability to export stats to excel and the developer said that would be near the top of next years version list.  so that kind of shows me i don't think we will see that kind of stuff in the future....not sure it matters since sometime this season ootp plans to release their first version and it should cover the basics.....i hope.

Nefaro

I had doubts as to whether the single guy who's been occasionally putting out a FOF release over the years would have all his stuff ported over into the new OOTP engine, and the inevitable bugs squashed, in the months since the partnership was announced.  I'm happy to see him move to a more modern UI but I'm not optimistic the first release will be this year.  If it is, I'll be wary of how it's performing after such a big switch in such a short time. 

I hope it all turns out gold, but not gonna expect it to be peachy.   He needs to get through that hump, however, as that old FOF UI was getting pretty painful.

dinsdale

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 09, 2018, 11:32:46 PM
i was reading comments from the developer in another forum and they indicated not sure if and when they will include things like free agency.....all they would say is depends on the sales of the game and how much ask from the community.  if they do it, said would be a light version and may not include salary stuff.  in the same post a person asked about having ability to export stats to excel and the developer said that would be near the top of next years version list.  so that kind of shows me i don't think we will see that kind of stuff in the future....not sure it matters since sometime this season ootp plans to release their first version and it should cover the basics.....i hope.

I can sort of understand free agency. To do it you also need to do the salary cap, then you have to develop an AI will behave rationally. To go from 0 to that would be some work.

If there were trades I think it might be ok, it could be fun to play the 80's and early 90's.

But as it stands I'm not sure what the game is trying to achieve. Enthralled draft picks doesn't seem compelling enough to play a career game.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on September 10, 2018, 11:55:45 AM
I had doubts as to whether the single guy who's been occasionally putting out a FOF release over the years would have all his stuff ported over into the new OOTP engine, and the inevitable bugs squashed, in the months since the partnership was announced.  I'm happy to see him move to a more modern UI but I'm not optimistic the first release will be this year.  If it is, I'll be wary of how it's performing after such a big switch in such a short time. 

I hope it all turns out gold, but not gonna expect it to be peachy.   He needs to get through that hump, however, as that old FOF UI was getting pretty painful.

In a post in August they said a few months away....so still thinking it will be this year.....the developer has always released later in the year so not really uncommon for him....someone posted recent versions released....who knows, but I holdout hope....even if it has issues, still likely the only and best option out there.

FOF 7.0: 12/13/2013
FOF 7.1: 11/21/2014
FOF 7.2: 12/8/2015
FOF 8.0: 11/23/2016
FOF 8.1: 10/24/2017

Pro Strategy Football

Hi, folks!  I hope you don't mind me introducing myself and giving a little background on my Pro Strategy Football game, so maybe you'll understand my thinking a little more.

My name is Kerry Batts, and I created the original football game (which because Tom Landry Strategy Football) as a Master's project, and then worked with Coach Tom Landry on the coaching and simulation side of things.  Many years later, I decided to revive the game, if for no other reason than so my brother and I could play each other.

As background, my brother and I grew up playing strategy board games like Third Reich and also sports games like Paydirt, Strat-o-matic, etc, and as a result, I've always been more about trying to outcoach my opponent.  In fact, my top priority for next year is to implement online multiplayer (which was in the original Tom Landry game), so folks who do enjoy coaching can have that same challenge.

Along the way, I've added some career features each year, but I'll be completely honest - I know I'll never compete with the hardcore, fully management-oriented games, so I keep my niche as coaching (which is quite good).  However, as I said, I keep adding some career stuff each year, using people's feedback.

Oh, the other thing I should point out is that I work on the game part time, which plays a role in how much I can implement each year.

The game offers three modes - exhibition play (pick any two teams and either just simulate them, watch them play live, or coach); single season play; and career play.  In career play, your players do age, you can coach or watch any games each week, there's a full draft, players get cut, and there's preseason training camp.  And you can change your team's game plan (overall coaching approach) at any time.

As for free agency, what I'm considering adding next year - but only if people even want this light version - is free agency with contracts, but not salaries.  That's just too much to do with my other priorities.  If I add this light version and people like it, that opens up salaries for the following year.  However, if no one wants FA without salaries, then the whole thing would have to wait.

My top priorities for next year are:
1) online multiplayer (coaching)
2) fully configurable leagues, so you can have college leagues, high school, past NFL, anything you want
3) configurable rules
4) in-game league editor
5) ability to edit and create schedules (pretty essential with configurable leagues)
6) * free agency light, if people are interested

From what I've read here, it doesn't sound like PSF is a good fit for most of you, and I sincerely would prefer you find a game that you love.  But I did at least want to explain why my game is the way it is, on the off-chance any of you enjoy coaching like I do.

Either way, thanks much for discussing my game, and best of luck to all of you!

thanks,
Kerry

Lowenstaat

Thanks for sharing your plans, Kerry. I've been playing your game on and off over the years since I picked up a CD copy of Tom Landry Strategy Football Deluxe years ago. I still play your 2016 version of Pro Strategy Football on PC and occasionally play around with the 2018 version on my phone when I travel. I've never tried multiplayer, but I am very excited to read your comments about adding in game league customization and fully configurable leagues at all levels of football. I look forward to seeing those features in future releases.
"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."