CS Middle East: High Water Mark (Saasa Ridge, Syria; 12 Oct 1973)

Started by Crossroads, November 04, 2017, 07:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Israeli Phase for Turn #7 Done

Quote from: Crossroads on November 16, 2017, 11:50:15 AM

Time for plotting the friendly artillery for the next turn, with two batteries available this time, and then to review the butchers bill...

And here they are, all in one screenshot.

The four arty fire missions go to the large stack near Tel Shams heights, the obvious retreat hex of theirs next to it, to AAA section, and to the infantry unit a bit more north. Looking at this screenshot, the last one should have obviously gone for the stack of two next to them, as there's a tank-hunter team there (brown unit type bar). Well, next time.

This was a costly turn for my Israelis. Having gone down 60VPs, I clawed back 40VPs of them, plus took the 100VP objective for the first time.

Still, at Minor Loss. Gotta make those remaining Syrians pay come next turn.

Over to Berto!

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #8 - Enter the T-55

Ping, said the email, with latest from Berto in it. The Battle of Tel Shams is about to climax, he wrote.

And so it seems! Durind Syrian Turn #7 replay, I witness my Recon platoon at Tel Shams being swept away, first hit by artillery, then taking fire from a multitude of Syrian positions nearby. Also, the T-55s from the rear make an appearance again, coming forward to fire at my positions.

But now I see them! With my LMG and Engineers at Tel Shamps top, this is what it looks like, with Victory report after a friendly artillery partially scattering (as the Recce was no longer there to spot for them), but partially scoring a couple of hits and retreats as well.

I have Visible Hexes ON, with the Tel Shams top selected. There's still a few basins here and there to hide in, but not many. And there's the Syrian tanks, too!

I am back at 189 points, the infantry losses during the last couple of turns have been particularly cruel!  :(

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on November 19, 2017, 08:13:38 AM

I am back at 189 points, the infantry losses during the last couple of turns have been particularly cruel!  :(

That's a loss of 24 points. Here's the butcher's bill in the beginning of my turn. No new tank losses, but I've now lost already 13 infantry Strength Points instead.  :buck2:

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on November 19, 2017, 08:17:37 AM
That's a loss of 24 points. Here's the butcher's bill in the beginning of my turn. No new tank losses, but I've now lost already 13 infantry Strength Points instead.  :buck2:

Time to fight back, then. I'll get started with my southern pincer again.

First, a recap of what's visible from my vantage point at Tel Shams. Still quite a few reverse slopes full of Syrians I don't see, so need to move forward carefully, and in a systematic manner. Would be especially sweet if I could sneak behind the Syrian tankers there, for a killing rear shot. We're playing with Armored Facing ON, so only a weak rear armor there to protect them.

Forward the Pattons: Syrian infantry at 500 meters, load HE! And so it begins. I score a retreat, so I will push forward to the now vacant Improved Position there.

And so I did, and now have the visuals to hit those tankers in flank instead. I will take the shot while I can. T-55s at 1000 meters, Load SABOT! ... Miss!  ???

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on November 19, 2017, 08:33:47 AM

And so I did, and now have the visuals to hit those tankers in flank instead. I will take the shot while I can. T-55s at 1000 meters, Load SABOT! ... Miss!  ???

The first Patton troop is now out of APs, but that's why it is important to keep enough firepower closely together. I've got another troop moving forward next, ... Load SABOT! Target down! It was just a single T-55, probably an HQ section, but you gotta start somewhere!

Next, I'll start clearing the area, starting with my rear Patton troop which being disrupt, would not be able to move towards enemy. No results, but at least a lot of CRACKs and BOOMs  :)) I'll soon follow with the remaining Patton troops in the south, but first I'll provide some covering fire with my LMGs at the Tel Shams top. They take down an enemy LMG section, and score a couple of hits on their mortars as well. Well done!

I did not use the Engineers there yet, as I want to have them moving forward to that IP at front of them. I am certain Tel Shams top hex is covered with artillery in next turn, better get outta their way!

Finally, beginning to maneuver forward at the south, I don't see any tanks so it should be clear forward...

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on November 19, 2017, 08:54:02 AM

Next, I'll start clearing the area, starting with my rear Patton troop which being disrupt, would not be able to move towards enemy. No results, but at least a lot of CRACKs and BOOMs  :)) I'll soon follow with the remaining Patton troops in the south, but first I'll provide some covering fire with my LMGs at the Tel Shams top. They take down an enemy LMG section, and score a couple of hits on their mortars as well. Well done!

I did not use the Engineers there yet, as I want to have them moving forward to that IP at front of them. I am certain Tel Shams top hex is covered with artillery in next turn, better get outta their way!

Finally, beginning to maneuver forward at the south, I don't see any tanks so it should be clear forward...

Here's the same with 3D view, where I actually did the firing. Lots of empty looking hexes there, I am sure there's more than tumbleweed there...  ???

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on November 19, 2017, 08:59:37 AM

Here's the same with 3D view, where I actually did the firing. Lots of empty looking hexes there, I am sure there's more than tumbleweed there...  ???

Nope. Nothing there it seems. Here's how things look when I've moved my units forward again, using my halftrack as (death-by-)recon units, first entering the hex. So far so good! Time to take out that AAA position, together with the Infantry platoon that's securing the hex. Load HE! Target down! Another target down!

And then, as I move forward, a concealed T-55 platoon of four tanks appear in that hex  :o It Op Fires, and takes down the M3 halftrack platoon in its entirety. Ouch!

Returning fire, I've got quite a few Patton troops in close support, but since some of them are Conserving Ammo, and since I am firing at T-55 platoon at their frontal armor, no hits! Oh man...

Crossroads

Northern Pincer

That's it at south, I wish I'd have more tanks there but I don't so that leaves the Syrian T-55 platoon with all my tanks at their gun sights. I've got plenty of tracks to retaliate though, he can only fire twice...

Up north next, time to deal with the other T-55 platoon there. Four runners strong, I approach it with two Centurion troops covering each other. They are both Conserving Ammo, as the friction is building. I've been moving my HQs around a lot, which causes them to loose contact with their units.

... And of course the T-55 Op Fires, taking out two Centurions with just one volley! I return fire, but only score a retreat. The T-55s are fleeing though, I could now fire at their rear armor. Moving a Patton troop forward next!

... And that too is ambushed by another T-55 platoon that was not visible earlier! This time no hits though, pheew!

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on November 19, 2017, 09:24:20 AM

... And of course the T-55 Op Fires, taking out two Centurions with just one volley! I return fire, but only score a retreat. The T-55s are fleeing though, I could now fire at their rear armor. Moving a Patton troop forward next!

... And that too is ambushed by another T-55 platoon that was not visible earlier! This time no hits though, pheew!

So, two full T-55 troops, in perfect ambushing positions it was. Now they've taken their shots though, time to retaliate  :knuppel2:

I bring the numbers forward, and manage to take out one track from the first and three tracks from the second platoon. But man those T-55s are tough!

Here's how the situation ends in the north. He's got four runners there as well, with plenty of Israeli tanks to fire at. Let us see how they do come next turn. I take care the tanks are facing the hostiles, and that's it for the north as well.

Friendly Artillery plotting next...

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #8 Done

Quote from: Crossroads on November 19, 2017, 09:31:48 AM

Friendly Artillery plotting next...

Here's the overview by the end of Israeli Phase for Turn #8.

I had the full artillery support available this time, so plotted four missions to Tel Shams area, and this time around plotted two missions to Saasa Ridge as well, to positions where there's Syrian infantry at Improved Positions only. All points will count.

I also plotted two Airstrikes this time, to hit those Syrian tankers in the North with one mission, and the 3 tanks at Tel Shams with the other. That leaves me with three airstrikes for the remaining turns.

Strength points tell a grim story, I am down 18 tanks now, with only five Syrian tanks to show for the effort.

The Syrian support units have taken a terrible beating though, so I am doing better with Victory points, moving to Draw for the first time. 262 points, 12 points above the Draw limit.

Berto's Syrian Phase awaits though...

Crossroads

Sending the turn to Berto next.

I make a note about playing with Armor Facing ON in my email. Battling it out with tank platoons facing each other's frontal armor can be quite a slug fest, as it was here. But the second you score a retreat, and a hostile tank platoon retreats leaving their vulnerable rear armor to face the enemy, they are usually toast.

I feel I could have done better here, I had the troops close to each other for fire support, but alas, having C&C issues with my HQs moving about, so lot of them were Conserving Ammo, firing at half strength only.

Oh well, let us hope the Syrians are facing similar issues as well...

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #9 - Mopping Up Tel Shams

This is a nice smaller scenario, so the turns they keep a'comin'. There's the email from Berto, with those Syrians taunting me on their way out of the Tel Shams pocket.

And right so, my noose got into proper positions finally, but the previous turn left me with no APs for Opportunity Fire, having dueled with those mighty T-55s, so I can only watch the more mobile Syrian units taking off.

Before they do, the Syrian tankers fire a few parting shots, causing me to lose two runners I think. But it is the Syrian artillery that does the damage. Again. Next turn, I'll dedicate my Artillery Battalion for a Counter artillery barrage to their approximate location, as in 3D Zoom-out view the shell trajectories are visible. Upper right map corner it is.

A loss of a whopping 36 points during Syrian phase, with a loss of a Engineer platoon leaving me with just the Recce platoon and the third Engineer platoon for my infantry support.

Here's the opening view, with the Syrian escape route marked in red, and the impeding Israeli noose in blue.

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on November 21, 2017, 06:33:34 AM

Before they do, the Syrian tankers fire a few parting shots, causing me to lose two runners I think.

Nope, they knock off one Centurion but that's it. I am down 19 runners though, that's quite a toll. But something to expect for my tank-heavy formation. No infantry to recon the area, and the map is quite a devilish one as I've said a few times.

On a positive side, the Syrians keep bleeding, they've lost 48 infantry steps for instance, let us see if I can add to that.

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on November 21, 2017, 06:38:27 AM

On a positive side, the Syrians keep bleeding, they've lost 48 infantry steps for instance, let us see if I can add to that.

I've reported a few turns now with all the tactical detail, well most of it anyways, so maybe a time to take a higher level view of it.

So here's the situational map, as the mopping up begins. It does not look good for the hapless Syrians, they are completely surrounded.

The Pattons at north will have the honor of firing the first shots, but not before I move my retreated LMG section back to top, to keep the Syrians from retreating there. They take Op Fire moving forward, but luckily, no results. Syrians must be conserving their ammo by now too...

Note that I usually play the boardgame view with Visible Hexes toggled permanently ON, very handy to observing which units has visuals on what targets...

Enter the Pattons! Load HE...

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on November 21, 2017, 06:47:35 AM

So here's the situational map, as the mopping up begins. It does not look good for the hapless Syrians, they are completely surrounded.

... and here's the mopping up mostly done. I continue to have quite a few units in Conserving Ammo status, due to my HQs having been moving about. Therefore the results have not been that optimal, quite a lot of retreats, so to keep Syrians from retreating to a location I don't want them to go, I rotate firing units from opposite directions.

Even my Recce platoon got to join in this time, promptly wiping out an HGM section in front of them.

Come next turn, Tel Shams should be properly secured, finally!  :bd: