Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe - Post Mortem?

Started by solops, February 01, 2017, 12:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

You can buy many different types of units (including armor, infantry, anti-tank, artillery, AA, and air units) and none of them stack.  I don't recall seeing any combined arms units.

The map scale is appropriate for divisions, but most of the units are armies and corps.   This results in a surprisingly empty Eastern Front.

A decision was apparently made not to use hand drawn maps. The outline of the coast was drawn by an editing program: the positioning of rivers and mountain ranges is pretty good, but there can be considerable distortions (don't look too closely at Greece, Sicily, and Southern Italy). 

In spite of all of this the game can be a lot of fun to play, and has really good flavor chrome. The game attracts a fanatical and loyal fanbase who apparently don't care too much about historicity (apart from complaining about the lack of SS units). 
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Bill Runacre

Just to add that the game comes with its own Editor which enables everyone who desires to create their own mods and even design new maps.

It's pretty easy to use and the second half of the User Manual covers using the Editor.

There are already quite a few mods in progress, including a Napoleonic one called The Rise and Fall of an Empire:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1629

Bill
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

solops

So, no stacking, no multi-hex combat but units ARE differentiated by type (armor, infantry, etc.). That is totally bonkers. I have no interest in this. Whatever it is, and it may be fun, it is not a historical war game to me.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

hairog

I'm working on a mod that simulates a world war with Stalin attacking the west in 1946. A few screen shots.

The West is holding on the Pyrenees Line.

One of the growing number of graphic mods.
One of the greatest "what ifs" in history. Alternate History novel - World War Three 1946 - Stalin Strikes First - available on Amazon.com

Rayfer

hairog....the screenshots are showing up for me, can't open them?

solops

Rat potty! I accidentally bought this game instead of Tigers on the Prowl with my 15 year discount coupon.(face palm). I guess I'll trot it out when I want to play something like Stratego.
How embarrassing.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: solops on February 14, 2017, 11:20:19 AM
Rat potty! I accidentally bought this game instead of Tigers on the Prowl with my 15 year discount coupon.(face palm). I guess I'll trot it out when I want to play something like Stratego.
How embarrassing.

I don't understand why you're crapping on this game so hard. It never pretended to be WitE. It's fun for what it is. Nobody is putting a gun to your head to play it.

solops

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

solops

Quote from: bbmike on February 14, 2017, 08:39:08 PM
Rat potty?
Yes, strong language, I know. I apologize.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: solops on February 14, 2017, 11:20:19 AM
How embarrassing.

I have to ask, how does one "accidentally" buy a game:)

solops

That is really too embarrassing to go into. Let's just say that involves distraction, multi-tasking, indecision, distraction and incompetence.

GJK

Well while we're down this road (are we??) - what are some suggestions for a good great WW2 ETO PC game?  Personally, I'd love it if WiF had an AI or if somebody were to redo Third Reich PC properly.  I'd like to see something at the corps level that promotes good use of breakthrough and pocketing.  I don't want to see "health" bars or a "10" on every unit.  Naval doesn't have to be highly detailed but nor should it be overly abstracted.  Air units should be vital assets and not just used to throw in to a battle for a simple modifier.  I don't want to micro-manage every single replacement nor do I want to build factories and select what it makes.  I also don't want the AI to do everything for me so that I'm basically the "click and move" guy.  I'd *love* to see combat reports with as much or as little detail as I need.  Being able to create or play multiple scenarios is important as well.  Hell, I just described TOAW3 I think.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rayfer

Quote from: GJK on February 14, 2017, 10:07:57 PM
Well while we're down this road (are we??) - what are some suggestions for a good great WW2 ETO PC game?  Personally, I'd love it if WiF had an AI or if somebody were to redo Third Reich PC properly.  I'd like to see something at the corps level that promotes good use of breakthrough and pocketing.  I don't want to see "health" bars or a "10" on every unit.  Naval doesn't have to be highly detailed but nor should it be overly abstracted.  Air units should be vital assets and not just used to throw in to a battle for a simple modifier.  I don't want to micro-manage every single replacement nor do I want to build factories and select what it makes.  I also don't want the AI to do everything for me so that I'm basically the "click and move" guy.  I'd *love* to see combat reports with as much or as little detail as I need.  Being able to create or play multiple scenarios is important as well.  Hell, I just described TOAW3 I think.

GG's War in the West?

Barthheart

Quote from: GJK on February 14, 2017, 10:07:57 PM

My favourite right now is Schwerpunkt Games World War II Europe.

http://schwerpunktgames.com/misc/games/world-war-ii-europe-1939-1945/

All the detail you described.... but... there's always a but... it's still being worked on by Ron Dockal. The entire ETO campaign game is not yet complete. There are a lot of scenarios though and some are quite large. Poland, France 40, North Africa 1940-1943, East Front Blitzkrieg 41. More scenarios coming including the entire theatre.
It's a one man show so progress is slow. The interface is a little quirky at first but the game play is great.
I did a review for here a while ago... here it is... on something called the Front Page (?)... http://grogheads.com/?p=7117