Field of Glory: Empires

Started by -budd-, November 20, 2018, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoncop

Quote from: Barthheart on July 12, 2019, 12:37:48 PM
So last night I read the first bit of the manual and chapter 17 as suggested in the manual and then jumped into the short 15 turn scenario with Rome.
Poked around at all the areas I owned, recruited a few troops, starting build an archery building then hit next turn.
And got stomped just like W8minute about 2 turns later.... hmmmm. Fun? not really.

So start again. Just recruit as much as I can in Rome for 2 turns to get a larger army that my enemy. Crush his army in battle then siege his capital, which turns out was not his capital, then siege and conquer his actual capital and win the scenario on turn 13.... having done nothing else, including just ignoring all the "decisions" that came up. Hmmmm... Fun? not really.

That first short scenario maybe fairly useless and I hope not representative of the game.

Will take a stab at the campaign this weekend as maybe so out of the way nation or tribe so I can play around a bit without getting stomped....

That scenario is deliberately one dimensional to get folks familiar with the battles side of things.

In a 15 turn scenario buildings are irrelevant as is culture and Decadence....two of the core concepts of the game....as is the economy and trade.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

JasonPratt

Note to self: if Saba takes over the inhabited world in 15 turns, then I don't have to worry about that other crap like a sustainable economy or whatever. (See also: Lenin post-Great War strategy. ;) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

devoncop

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 12, 2019, 01:19:30 PM
Note to self: if Saba takes over the inhabited world in 15 turns, then I don't have to worry about that other crap like a sustainable economy or whatever. (See also: Lenin post-Great War strategy. ;) )

I feel the March of the Sabatean proletariat may take a little longer than 15 years sadly.....

Having said that I was scouting out your culture starting buildings and the Dam Wonder......nice...👍

Don't tell the Judeans about it....Yaitz has big plans for Judea !!😉

Barthheart

Quote from: devoncop on July 12, 2019, 01:12:36 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 12, 2019, 12:37:48 PM
So last night I read the first bit of the manual and chapter 17 as suggested in the manual and then jumped into the short 15 turn scenario with Rome.
Poked around at all the areas I owned, recruited a few troops, starting build an archery building then hit next turn.
And got stomped just like W8minute about 2 turns later.... hmmmm. Fun? not really.

So start again. Just recruit as much as I can in Rome for 2 turns to get a larger army that my enemy. Crush his army in battle then siege his capital, which turns out was not his capital, then siege and conquer his actual capital and win the scenario on turn 13.... having done nothing else, including just ignoring all the "decisions" that came up. Hmmmm... Fun? not really.

That first short scenario maybe fairly useless and I hope not representative of the game.

Will take a stab at the campaign this weekend as maybe so out of the way nation or tribe so I can play around a bit without getting stomped....

That scenario is deliberately one dimensional to get folks familiar with the battles side of things.

In a 15 turn scenario buildings are irrelevant as is culture and Decadence....two of the core concepts of the game....as is the economy and trade.

Alright, good to know, thanks. Maybe they should say that in the scenario description... unless I missed it which is quite possible in my tired state last night.

solops

Until I get acclimated to FoGE I have to remind myself that it is NOT TW-Rome2 and that I did not WANT an RTW2 clone. I suspect that once I master the game system I will find a game deeper and better than the TW system.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

It's amazing how the Slitherine Archon engine can do both grand strategy and turn-based miniatures / squad-level games. This is an engine that evolved around Battle Academy. Can it do RTS too?

Rayfer

Sorry is this was posted earlier but I just discovered a detailed, step by step campaign tutorial in the manual, pages 172-196, taking you through 14 turns of a Rome campaign.  Helps a lot in what to do and why you're doing it.

IronX

glen55

Quote from: jomni on July 12, 2019, 08:52:27 PM
It's amazing how the Slitherine Archon engine can do both grand strategy and turn-based miniatures / squad-level games. This is an engine that evolved around Battle Academy. Can it do RTS too?
Slitherine did that as early as 2003 with Chariots of War. Not even sure that was the first. Of course the tactical mini-game in CoW was crude compared to FOG2, but
OTOH it only took about a minute for a battle, which obviously didn't encompass grog-type realism, but OTOH very short battles work great with a huge strategy game in the TW/FOG genre, which is what it was, and there was even a little bit of tactics and unit differentiation involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariots_of_War
http://www.slitherine.com/products/341/details/Chariots.of.War

I had a great time with Chariots of War. Unfortunately it only runs now on XP.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

jomni

Quote from: glen55 on July 13, 2019, 01:39:30 PM
Quote from: jomni on July 12, 2019, 08:52:27 PM
Slitherine did that as early as 2003 with Chariots of War. Not even sure that was the first. Of course the tactical mini-game in CoW was crude compared to FOG2, but
OTOH it only took about a minute for a battle, which obviously didn't encompass grog-type realism, but OTOH very short battles work great with a huge strategy game in the TW/FOG genre, which is what it was, and there was even a little bit of tactics and unit differentiation involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariots_of_War
http://www.slitherine.com/products/341/details/Chariots.of.War

I had a great time with Chariots of War. Unfortunately it only runs now on XP.

Ok the new Close Combat is also Archon engine. 
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/24/close-combat-the-bloody-first-preview/

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: ArizonaTank on July 12, 2019, 10:30:12 AM
A bit contrarian I know...but a few hours in and the game has not grabbed me yet.  My sizable gut feels that the game is "good" but not "great."

I do love FOG and agree that the FOG battle resolution feature is everything I could want....well maybe I would like some more chrome...in terms of tracking units and generals between the two layers...but that would be picky...

Still the strategic layer just feels "lite" to me. I feel like there is a whole bunch of information being given to me...but not many things I can actually do with it.

Haven't gotten to the "just one more turn" place with it yet.

Sometimes it takes me a while to warm up to a game...and given all of the good feelings everyone else is having...I am guessing I'll get there with more time.

Kind of in the same spot at the moment.....not really feeling it.  No doubt part of it is probably my lack of skill in these types of games but just hasn't even been "fun" yet.  Too much going on at once, can't even hardly advance a turn without wars being declared all over the place....just feel no sense of "building" stuff up or strategy when constantly dealing with wars.  Although all the information might be somewhere within the game, not really connecting with it to make sense of things.  I am basically even playing on the "balanced" level which is the second lowest possible level, there a bunch of even higher levels....can't imagine what it would be like on those.  Would have thought the lower levels being a bit "easier" and less hectic, which it might be compared to the other levels, but if true, I might as well give up now:)  I know there is a ton of resources to try and learn the game (manual, youtube, forums, etc.), but if I have to review all that stuff just to have a good time, likely will lose interest pretty quickly.  Not sure if a tutorial would have made a difference or not, maybe.

I am not given up yet, nor do I necessarily regret my purchase, but unless something clicks soon or at least becomes "fun" to me, likely will be put on the shelf for hopeful possible future improvements/enhancements.  I know there are others here who are in love with the game, which is totally awesome, I just wanted to provide another perspective for others considering.

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 14, 2019, 09:47:44 AM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on July 12, 2019, 10:30:12 AM
A bit contrarian I know...but a few hours in and the game has not grabbed me yet.  My sizable gut feels that the game is "good" but not "great."

I do love FOG and agree that the FOG battle resolution feature is everything I could want....well maybe I would like some more chrome...in terms of tracking units and generals between the two layers...but that would be picky...

Still the strategic layer just feels "lite" to me. I feel like there is a whole bunch of information being given to me...but not many things I can actually do with it.

Haven't gotten to the "just one more turn" place with it yet.

Sometimes it takes me a while to warm up to a game...and given all of the good feelings everyone else is having...I am guessing I'll get there with more time.

Kind of in the same spot at the moment.....not really feeling it.  No doubt part of it is probably my lack of skill in these types of games but just hasn't even been "fun" yet.  Too much going on at once, can't even hardly advance a turn without wars being declared all over the place....just feel no sense of "building" stuff up or strategy when constantly dealing with wars.  Although all the information might be somewhere within the game, not really connecting with it to make sense of things.  I am basically even playing on the "balanced" level which is the second lowest possible level, there a bunch of even higher levels....can't imagine what it would be like on those.  Would have thought the lower levels being a bit "easier" and less hectic, which it might be compared to the other levels, but if true, I might as well give up now:)  I know there is a ton of resources to try and learn the game (manual, youtube, forums, etc.), but if I have to review all that stuff just to have a good time, likely will lose interest pretty quickly.  Not sure if a tutorial would have made a difference or not, maybe.

I am not given up yet, nor do I necessarily regret my purchase, but unless something clicks soon or at least becomes "fun" to me, likely will be put on the shelf for hopeful possible future improvements/enhancements.  I know there are others here who are in love with the game, which is totally awesome, I just wanted to provide another perspective for others considering.

There is a lot to learn with this one.  I have the manual open on my laptop next to my gaming PC as I play.  It was very busy starting out as Rome on the "balanced" level.  I restarted that game three times as I learned lessons the hard way.  Then I loaded the Grand Campaign and selected the Briton tribe (I forget the spelling etc.)  This was a much slower pace as compared to Rome.  It let me explore the building options and generally go at a slower pace while I learned the mechanics.  I now have control of almost the entire island and will eventually launch an invasion of Normandy (or whatever it is called in the game).  I am having a lot of fun with this and looking forward to the next turn like when I played Civ4 back in the day.  I am currently struggling with decadence and earning progress tokens.  (I just recently came to understand the importance of those tokens) 

But long story, short - I would try a smaller, slower civilization off in the corner of the known world until I got the game mechanics down.  Rome starts in the middle of all the sheet at a faster pace.  Also, I think you might be able to switch civilizations while playing??  I read that somewhere but have not tried it yet. 

devoncop

If any of you guys learning the ropes are interested I have just set up a very easy going MP game on the server.

It will start Tuesday morning UK time at the latest and is 1 turn every 24 hours as a minimum. If we get 16 before Tuesday morning it starts straight away. If you have to drop out later don't stress about it as the AI then takes over your country so if you want to try out the MP using this vehicle that is cool.

If you do decide to join remember to select your country from the drop down menu on the left as otherwise you get given the country that is on the top of the list (It starts with Rome but you could get some REALLY tough ones otherwise  :) )

Cheers

ian

IICptMillerII

It's already Sunday!?

Well, I've played enough of the game that I think I understand the basic mechanics and concepts. I've had a lot of fun with it so far, even though the Rome start can be a bit frustrating in the beginning. You tend to get ganged up on by all of your neighbors at once. I've found that in order to survive, you need a decent amount of luck regardless of skill.

I think the mid-game is a bit stagnant. Playing as Rome, once you get all of Italy under your control, I've found it really hard to expand much further. The Alps are extremely difficult to pacify, though the nations/tribes that inhabit them have no problem pumping out large armies into northern Italy. Couple this with the frequency of Roman civil wars once you hit the imperial civilization tier, and things get quite difficult. The pace of the game really ramps up as well, and can feel a bit overwhelming trying to keep up with everything. I think part of this may be due to the 1 turn per year. I wonder if 6 months per turn would slow things down a bit?

That said, I still love this game. The amount of replay value alone here is pretty staggering. It is everything I was hoping it would be and I'm really excited to see it supported and developed further into the future. I'm going to start a Seleucid playthrough later this evening for a change of pace. I also want to play as a quiet nation/tribe at some point soon too. Hope everyone else is learning and enjoying it as well.