Field of Glory: Empires

Started by -budd-, November 20, 2018, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: devoncop on June 05, 2019, 11:31:21 AM
In short there are a lot of nuances within the game that mean the biggest army is definitely not always the best 😉

Actually, given AGEOD's reputation with their Athena engine based games, that is a frightening statement. 

As long as those nuances are well documented and will not require the customer to conduct a full design of experiment with the game to flesh those nuances out I'm ok with this. 

Retracting my earlier day one purchase statement until the community has played the game upon release. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

devoncop

Quote from: W8taminute on June 05, 2019, 02:29:45 PM
Quote from: devoncop on June 05, 2019, 11:31:21 AM
In short there are a lot of nuances within the game that mean the biggest army is definitely not always the best 😉

Actually, given AGEOD's reputation with their Athena engine based games, that is a frightening statement. 

As long as those nuances are well documented and will not require the customer to conduct a full design of experiment with the game to flesh those nuances out I'm ok with this. 

Retracting my earlier day one purchase statement until the community has played the game upon release.

I have tried (and failed) to get my head around the Ageod previous engine on numerous occasions.

This is a very different beast and a totally new engine.

The bonuses etc I mentioned are all clearly laid out in the battle reports in game.

Check out the Dastactic videos on You Tube if you have time.....very clear.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Tripoli

This Developer Diary also briefly describes some of the differences between units and how different unit types and terrain effect combat: http://www.matrixgames.com/news/2856/Field.of.Glory:.Empires.Dev.Diary.#10..Units:.Abilities.and.Modifiers
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

Devoncop beat me to it...AGEOD has virtually nothing to do with this game.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Yes the engine used is not the same as the old Ageod games.

W8taminute

Good to hear guys.  Thanks for the info.   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

al_infierno

I need this game yesterday.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Yskonyn

I hope the manual gets pre released so I can prepare!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

devoncop

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 07, 2019, 03:10:24 PM
I hope the manual gets pre released so I can prepare!

Pah........reading the manual........Sooooooooooo last century ........ :)

Having watched the Dastactic You Tube series I am chomping at the bit !

SirAndrewD

Watched some Let's Plays with the FOG 2 Battle implementation.   I think I want to do the Eric Cartman "Freeze myself until release date" strategy. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

devoncop

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 07, 2019, 04:23:23 PM
Watched some Let's Plays with the FOG 2 Battle implementation.   I think I want to do the Eric Cartman "Freeze myself until release date" strategy.

It is well done but funnily enough I doubt I will utilise it much at all as I love the Empires battle resolution model which plays out in game without utilising FoG2.....there are a lot of nuances to it and it allows the strategic game to player out really smoothly from what I have seen.

SirAndrewD

I imagine I'll only use the FoG2 battles for significant engagements.  I really, really like the FoG2 system and am enamored of the idea of having a campaign map overlay for it, but I also want to use the Empires system when I either don't  have time, or inclination to fight a full battle.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

solops

Quote from: Gusington on June 05, 2019, 05:50:13 PM
Devoncop beat me to it...AGEOD has virtually nothing to do with this game.

Thank God.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 04, 2019, 10:47:20 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on June 04, 2019, 10:10:15 AM
Is the big draw for this game that it's a vehicle for the FoG battles to play or that it's a true strategy game on it's own?
Would you mind 'both' as an answer ?
+1. Without the option to play the battles in FoG2 I would not buy it, but I do not plan on using it for all of my battles, perhaps not even most of them.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

W8taminute

Quote from: solops on June 07, 2019, 05:56:37 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on June 04, 2019, 10:47:20 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on June 04, 2019, 10:10:15 AM
Is the big draw for this game that it's a vehicle for the FoG battles to play or that it's a true strategy game on it's own?
Would you mind 'both' as an answer ?
+1. Without the option to play the battles in FoG2 I would not buy it, but I do not plan on using it for all of my battles, perhaps not even most of them.

Agreed but it's good that we have an option if we want it.  I'm happy with that.