Free hardback of Churchill's American Civil War commentary!

Started by JasonPratt, December 05, 2018, 09:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Earlier this year, I discovered that my Mom had inherited a ton (possibly not exaggerated) of history books from one of her favorite uncles (or cousins or something), many of which I have kept for myself, and among them being volumes 2 through 4 of Winston Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples, which was finished in 1939 just before the Nazis invaded Poland. (And which was probably written with certain political purposes in mind, to be honest. ;) )

Unfortunately, I was disappointed to find that I couldn't find Volume 1 in those many, many boxes.

Fortunately, the internet is a thing nowadays, and if I looked around I could probably even find a free electronic copy somewhere -- but for sake of completeness I was also able to find and order a used hardback printing of the same edition (so they'll all look part of the set properly) at a very reasonable price.

Unfortunately, the seller sent me volume 4 instead of volume 1.

Fortunately, I was able to get an instant refund.

Unfortunately, the seller couldn't simply make good on an exchange. In fact Amazon told me not to even bother sending it back.

Fortunately, I was able to find another copy of the edition, which is now on the way from elsewhere.

Unfortunately, it costs a little more.

Fortunately, I can afford it. It's the difference between $7 and $20. Whatever that is.

Unfortunately, my talents such as they are do not lie in math. And also, thanks to my allergies, all frogurt must be judged as cursed.  :'(

{inhale}

FORTUNATELY! -- I have an extra copy of volume four, with a beat up dust-jacket but otherwise perfectly readable shape, which I'm willing to send out to a fellow Grog for free! This volume covers the 1800s up through the early 1900s, and so features Churchill's commentary on the American Civil War. (About a third of the book generally is dedicated to the ACW and American history during the period.)

But naturally he also comments on the Victorian and Edwardian periods, up at least as far as Disraeli, including the South African conflicts and the Crimean War (the casualties of which rivaled the ACW, and which between them revealed the coming lethality of industrialized warfare.) He does NOT cover WW1 or much of anything past the opening of the 1900s. Not sure why not, but it might be due to a habit, set aside during my lifetime, that it is improper for historical surveys to chew over events in the most recent few decades as they require time for information and context to be sourced, gathered, and processed. But that is only a guess.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll make arrangements to mail it onward. (Post your mailing address by p-mail of course, for security's sake.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!