Apple Slowing Down Older iPhone?

Started by OJsDad, December 22, 2017, 10:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

airboy

Quote from: OJsDad on December 22, 2017, 10:34:08 PM
Apple is being sued after it admitted to slowing down older iPhones -

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/22/apple-sued-after-it-admits-to-slowing-down-older-iphones.html

I've been reading about this in the WSJ.  Apple claims that older Iphones had batteries that were going bad and they were afraid without slowing them down there would be a catastrophic failure and loss of data.  After the uproar, Apple decided to lower battery prices and suggest people replace the battery in older I-phones.

I've never used apple products, but I got the sense that Apple was trying to tie repair/battery replacement into a very high cost solution to "encourage" people to buy newer Iphones.  Then the slowdown, then the reversal on battery cost which they had tied down.

Is this what happened?

Staggerwing

Actually, I have an iPhone 6+ and had indeed been having issues with it suddenly shutting off for no reason. Recently I noticed that many things were taking a few seconds longer than normal but I have not had a crash in that time either. I think that what happened is not so much Apple trying to scam folks into new phones but them trying to protect their image of quality hardware IE: iPhones may slow down when they age but can still hold their value by running the latest iOS. Where Apple really screwed the pooch is how they implemented it. Not telling anyone and not allowing folks to opt in or out is their true sin here.

And the patch didn't even come with a free U2 album.  :( ::)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

trailrunner

Quote from: airboy on December 31, 2017, 01:36:27 PM
I've never used apple products, but I got the sense that Apple was trying to tie repair/battery replacement into a very high cost solution to "encourage" people to buy newer Iphones.  Then the slowdown, then the reversal on battery cost which they had tied down.

When the battery on my iPhone 5C died last year, Apple would have charged me about $79 (I think) to replace it.  It was over three years old and well used, so I got a lot of use out of the original battery.

I didn't want to drive to the Apple store, so instead I went to a mall close to my house and went to a fix-it kiosk.  I think they charged me $60.  That's pretty close to what Apple was charging.

I have a lot of Apple products, but I'm not an Apple fanboy.  In this case I don't think they are necessarily doing anything nefarious.

jamus34

My issue is just with the way Apple handled it.

Everyone knows (or should know) that batteries degrade with both use and age.

Apple decided to start throttling it's older phones.

The problem is they were not clear that they were doing it and the reasons why in addition to not giving the user / owner an option. They could have easily sent out a communication that "Hey, older phones will have issues retaining battery life so we are slowing them down; if you want to opt out please go to settings but note a reduced battery life will be resultant"

Also the fact that before this came out they would not replace batteries unless they failed some arbitrary test is BS. If I am willing to pay the asking price, you should replace AND set the phone back to factory performance settings.

There's the right way, the wrong way and the shoot yourself in the foot way to do things...Guess which one Apple decided to go with.
Insert witty comment here.