Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

When does she get wet? How long till she gets her first rail-gun?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Not sure when she'll be in the water.

Great series of pics here (including shots with the rail gun mount):

http://blogs.defensenews.com/intercepts/2013/10/latest-pics-of-zumwalt-ddg-1000/

Good article:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/10/the-navys-newest-warship-is-powered-by-linux/

mirth

Ok, just noticed the report that she should be in the water by the end of the month.

Staggerwing

Interesting tidbit:

The Zumwalt-class is only 10 feet shorter than the Graf Spee and 8 feet shorter than the battleship USS Pennsylvania.

Maybe we should think about reviving the idea of 'Dreadnaught' class to describe her.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Centurion40

He needs to change his middle name to Tiberius.
Any time is a good time for pie.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 21, 2013, 08:47:31 PM
Maybe we should think about reviving the idea of 'Dreadnaught' class to describe her.

not enough guns
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

whatever nickname the XO had got changed to Spock.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

GDS_Starfury

actually this is about as close to the concept of the 'arsenal ship' as we're going to see.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 22, 2013, 10:44:56 AM

actually this is about as close to the concept of the 'arsenal ship' as we're going to see.

Those Ohio SSGN conversions are essentially 'arsenal subs'. 154 Tomahawks could ruin anyone's day.

mirth