I know your name is FRIDAY

Started by MetalDog, November 22, 2019, 06:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on November 23, 2019, 08:16:29 PM
Spend time at Ft. Jackson in the summer if you'd like the thrill of living in abject shittiness.

Lived a few miles down the road from Ft. Jackson while getting my Ph.D.  After a while I could discern the difference between artillery and thunder.

Columbia, SC is horrible in the summer.

IICptMillerII

Quote from: Moreb on November 23, 2019, 07:48:55 PM
Quote from: Dammit Carl! on November 23, 2019, 08:26:06 AM
Dang pretty place there.  Always had a soft spot for Missouri after spending some time at Ft. Lost in The Woods.

Lost in the woods. Hilarious. I've heard that place is hell only 2 times a year; All Winter and All Summer.

We used to float The Big Piney near there and I remember well the sounds of artillery exploding in the distance.

Nah its not so bad. People hate it more because they're there during basic/AIT more than anything else.

By the way, it was most likely the combat engineers blowing stuff up that you were hearing instead of artillery. FLW is where the Army trains all of its combat engineers.

Moreb

Quote from: IICptMillerII on November 23, 2019, 09:56:31 PM
Dang pretty place there.  Always had a soft spot for Missouri after spending some time at Ft. Lost in The Woods.

Lost in the woods. Hilarious. I've heard that place is hell only 2 times a year; All Winter and All Summer.

We used to float The Big Piney near there and I remember well the sounds of artillery exploding in the distance.

Nah its not so bad. People hate it more because they're there during basic/AIT more than anything else.

By the way, it was most likely the combat engineers blowing stuff up that you were hearing instead of artillery. FLW is where the Army trains all of its combat engineers.

I did not know this. Very cool. I haven't floated it but once since I was a kid. If we float now it is either on the close Meramec or my favorite, Jacks Fork and Current rivers.
When dongles fly? - mirth

MetalDog

Quote from: Gusington on November 23, 2019, 01:54:47 PM
I like that the Dog of Metal is not so hot for The Eagles. Me neither.

\m/ \m/ \m/ \m/
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Moreb

I'm not sure how anyone can not love the Eagles. They are as American as orange sherbet. Or even apple pie.

My wife thought she saw a dead bald eagle today on the side of the road. She was so upset. On the return trip we noticed it was a skin off a tire with a white grocery bag attached. Time for new contacts I think.

sheesh
When dongles fly? - mirth

Dammit Carl!

Essayons!

(Was in a combat engineer unit or an engineer slot or in a civil engineering outfit my whole time in uniform, so I'm biased)

airboy

When I was there they had an artillery range and did a lot of practice.  One of my fellow grad students was a National Guard officer in arty and did his practice there.  It was way too regular for anything other than arty.  We did hear occasional loud "booms" which is probably the engineers of which you spoke of.

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on November 23, 2019, 08:16:29 PM
Spend time at Ft. Jackson in the summer if you'd like the thrill of living in abject shittiness.

Basic training, Tank Hill, Fort Jackson, summer of 1983.  I can look back on it with some nostalgia now but at the time it was a pretty miserable experience .......... 

IICptMillerII

QuoteWhen I was there they had an artillery range and did a lot of practice.  One of my fellow grad students was a National Guard officer in arty and did his practice there.  It was way too regular for anything other than arty.  We did hear occasional loud "booms" which is probably the engineers of which you spoke of.

Interesting. That must have been well before my time. Now all arty training is done at Ft Sill, OK. FLW is mostly combat engineers, military police, and chemical warfare training now, along with a few other things.