Favourite Military Quotes.

Started by Zulu1966, February 01, 2013, 06:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airborne Rifles

Another U.S. Grant one: "Oh, I am heartily tired of hearing about what Lee is going to do. Some of you always seem to think he is suddenly going to turn a double somersault, and land in our rear and on both of our flanks at the same time. Go back to your command, and try to think what are we going to do ourselves, instead of what Lee is going to do."

besilarius

"When there is a task that requires brain power, and I have to choose between two different generals.  Generally, I pick the one with the biggest nose."
Napoleon Bonaparte in his correspondence to Eugene de Beauharnais, Viceroy of Italy.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

steve58

I've always been fond of this one...

I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.  -William Tecumseh Sherman
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

TheCommandTent

Quote from: steve58 on February 03, 2013, 01:10:49 PM
I've always been fond of this one...

I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.  -William Tecumseh Sherman

I've always enjoyed that one as well and it's truth has stood the test of time.  :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Con

One from Patton
No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

"You, you, and you... panic. The rest of you, come with me."
- U.S. Marine Corps gunnery sgt.

"Nothing is so good for the morale of the troops as occasionally to see a dead general".
Field Marshal Slim
"It makes no difference which side the general is on".
Unknown British Soldier

Con

Martok

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of
us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time!"

-- USMC Lieutenant General Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

"Nuts!"

-- Brigadier General Anthony C. McAuliffe

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Airborne Rifles

Another from U.S. Grant, probably my favorite historical military fugure:

"No terms except an unconditional and immediate surrender can be accepted. I propose to move immediately upon your works."

Zulu1966

Or Ferdinand Foch at the battle of the Marne ...

My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Longdan

One of my favourites:
"Nous sommes dans un pot de chambre et nous y serons emmerdes!" - Gen Alexandre Ducrot at Sedan 1870.
Literally "We are in a chamber pot and we're going to get shit on!"
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Atilla60

My favorite Schwarzkopf quote:

As far as Saddam Hussein being a great military strategist, he is neither a strategist, nor is he schooled in the operational art, nor is he a tactician, nor is he a general, nor is he a soldier. Other than that he's a great military man. I want you to know that.
- Norman Schwarzkopf
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

mirth

We're soldiers; but we're American soldiers. We've been kickin' ass for 200 years. We're 10 and 1. -John Winger
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

^All with the appropriate avatar update, of course!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Longdan

digni enim sunt interdicunt

Zulu1966

"They've got us surrounded again, the poor b@stards." Creighton Abrahms in the the Ardennes

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

bayonetbrant

"Well sir, it started out as a goat-fuck.  And then we kept adding more goats."

---  me, to the battalion XO during a gunnery at Ft Stewart in 2004.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers