IE 11 Update Issues with Grogheads

Started by ArizonaTank, July 24, 2015, 10:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Microsoft autopatch recently updated me to IE 11.  Now I can't get to Grogheads:  getting the message: 

This page can't be displayed
Turn on TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2 in Advanced settings and try connecting to https://www.grogheads.com  again. If this error persists, contact your site administrator

Even after making the settings changes, I still can't get to the site.  Site works in Chrome still of course.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Barthheart

That's weird... I've been using IE 11 for a long time and it works fine for me..... ???

Staggerwing

In a few days Win 10 comes out and brings a replacement for IE. AT, did you reserve your free copy of the upgrade?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grim.Reaper

That's strange you would get that kind of error on this site since TLS is more about sites you connect securely (i.e. using HTTPS)...wasn't aware that was used at this site but maybe just never noticed.

One thing you might want to look at is on the advanced tab in IE settings.  If SSL 2 or 3 is turned on, you'll want to turn those off and keep all the TLS settings enabled.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 25, 2015, 06:16:36 AM
In a few days Win 10 comes out and brings a replacement for IE. AT, did you reserve your free copy of the upgrade?

Thanks for the thought.  But I am really upgrade gun-shy.  Was burned in the move to Win8.  I'll wait a bit for 10. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 25, 2015, 07:27:35 AM
That's strange you would get that kind of error on this site since TLS is more about sites you connect securely (i.e. using HTTPS)...wasn't aware that was used at this site but maybe just never noticed.

One thing you might want to look at is on the advanced tab in IE settings.  If SSL 2 or 3 is turned on, you'll want to turn those off and keep all the TLS settings enabled.

Thanks for the advice.  Tried that, but no change.  Very strange, that Grogheads is the only site I am having trouble with.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: ArizonaTank on July 26, 2015, 07:28:29 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 25, 2015, 07:27:35 AM

Thanks for the advice.  Tried that, but no change.  Very strange, that Grogheads is the only site I am having trouble with.

Very strange indeed....is it all pages with GH or just some?  Meaning could you possibly still get to the forums or the front page, or is it everything at GH?

Grim.Reaper

Just noticed in your message above you have the link to GH as "https://www.grogheads.com/"......my link to GH is actually "http://www.grogheads.com/"  (HTTP not HTTPS).  When I use the HTTPS address I also get the same message as you...but when I use the HTTP address like I always do, it works fine.  I bet if you do that then all will be good.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 26, 2015, 09:32:33 AM
Just noticed in your message above you have the link to GH as "https://www.grogheads.com/"......my link to GH is actually "http://www.grogheads.com/"  (HTTP not HTTPS).  When I use the HTTPS address I also get the same message as you...but when I use the HTTP address like I always do, it works fine.  I bet if you do that then all will be good.

Yes, that solved it.  Thanks!!!
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: ArizonaTank on July 26, 2015, 05:03:10 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 26, 2015, 09:32:33 AM

Yes, that solved it.  Thanks!!!

Good to hear...

Boggit

Quote from: ArizonaTank on July 26, 2015, 07:25:09 AM

Thanks for the thought.  But I am really upgrade gun-shy.  Was burned in the move to Win8.  I'll wait a bit for 10.
I'm using Win7, and glad I didn't upgrade to Win8. I've reserved my copy of Win10, but am nervous about how it will react to all my games.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Boggit on July 27, 2015, 08:21:35 AM

I'm using Win7, and glad I didn't upgrade to Win8. I've reserved my copy of Win10, but am nervous about how it will react to all my games.

My guess is that all your typical games will still work with win10, from what I have read seems like the core operating system is the same, plus it will have a compatibility mode that can be used if any problems.  I plan to upgrade the first day available since I love shiny new things:)

Staggerwing

I'm going to upgrade my laptop first (a cheap Asus) and then see what older games run on it. If all goes well I may move on to my gaming PC and hope I can transfer the license to a new rig I hope to build this winter. If the license is not transferable at least I'll have spent some time with Win10 to know if I want it on the new box.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

Quote from: Boggit on July 27, 2015, 08:21:35 AM

I was worried too about reserving WIN 10 and then I realized I don't actually play 90% of the games I've purchased.  So as long as it doesn't mess up Tiller, Matrix, or Ageod games I'll be good on the wargaming front and I'm just going to assume that the magical game program known as Steam takes care of the rest. 

bayonetbrant

43 years and counting and every upgrade to my dining room table is still fully compatible with all of my boxed games!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers