Undercovergeek v Con - CMBS PBEM - Con can read if he wants to

Started by undercovergeek, March 23, 2015, 10:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

We're a few turns in after the set up. My brief is that the forces i have on the map are an advance scout platoon checking the way ahead for a larger force due to be transiting through the area. Depending on how successful first contact is, the large group will either be moving swiftly from west to east down the railway tracks and exiting the map, or they will be reinforcements helping out the recon group.

This is the map

So, i have to occupy the Weather Station, the bridge and the loading area (where the large force will enter). I get bonus points for 'touching' the field edge, the woods and the animal farm - i have a sniper just for the job.

And this is the goal - to get everyone off the map out of this exit point whilst leaving Con and his Russian forces a smoking ruin

The plan then is to have Recon Vehicle 4 head in this direction, unseen in the shot is a small ridge that hides me from Cons forces which i assume start life at the red village to the North. I may be wrong, if thats so im just showing my flank to a Russian force  :-\. This vehicle will take care of the loading area and should get there below the ridge and hidden by the tree line around the field

Recon vehicle 2 is heading straight to the cover provided by the raised railroad tracks, and then tracking that ridge into the trees to cover the railway bridge

Recon 3 is heading to the tree line to disembark the sniper team and it will attempt to make its way across the railway and into the field edge

and lastly Recon 1, heading for the Weather Station - an enemy you say? in the woods? youre right - and so surprised were the crew by its appearance that they bogged the vehicle in wet mud, we're not going forwards, we're not going backwards and we're right in the eye of the enemy. The squad inside is ordered to get the hell out and head for the trees, i give the Stryker small reverse and forward plots to see if we can roll out of the mud. Its the recon platoon inside that has spotted the enemy, not the Stryker team - i dont know if theyll catch on and open fire next turn

Here he is, i dont know if thats a turret or a shield, can he see me? If theres no turret he has to back up in forest ground, it might give me enough time to bail out and free from the bog, if the the bog breaks the orders are to reverse behind the trees, on a similar path to the recon team

JasonPratt

"A smoking ruin. I like that part." -- Alejandro Murieta (paraphrased), The Mask of Zorro
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jomni

Nice screens. Looks like you loaded up mods.  Love the muddy textures.  I have recently just loaded up kieme's (I assume you use them) textures myself.

undercovergeek

i only downloaded the mods this morning - theyre vanilla shots

jomni

undercovergeek

At the start of the next turn the enemy recon vehicle hasnt moved at all - i dont think he can see me

After a painful pause of 5 seconds (that i ordered) the hatch finally drops and the unit disembarks and heads for the trees, as they pass the end of the tree line they can still see the vehicle and the AT guy has one rocket. Bad news, theres still two on the Stryker so if he misses he'll have to go back, possibly under fire and get them. Badderer news - the Stryker gives up the ghost and is officially immobilised in the middle of this field!

They get to their cover safely, next turn im going to order them to slowly enter the forest back towards the end of the tree line and see if the AT guy can take a shot

Out on the left, the HQ and sniper team's Stryker comes over the top of this rise and.............

Con must have started much further forward than i thought. Anyway, this recon vehicle receives Stryker to the face, the first volley penetrated the vehicle and i wondered what the damage would be, but i see now an infantry icon so theyve obviously exited the vehicle in a panic or out of neccesity

And on closer inspection heres one of the blighters

Not concerned with which direction theyre heading anymore the immobile Stryker's gunner, in the final seconds of the turn, catches sight of the enemy recon in the woods

undercovergeek

...........and finally opens fire.

Most of the first 2 volleys hit the trees, but enough get through, and with shots of 'we got him', from the gunner, im hoping its knocked out, i dont see anyone bail though, so it may have been empty of troops

Over on the left the enemy recon vehicle takes a few more hits and bursts into flames, I reversed the Stryker back behind the tree line in case there was any follow up vehicles, and the gunner has clear sight to the unlucky crew and infantry - im beginning to think, like me Con may have a recon force and were both tasked with reconning the same targets - sneaky

This guy needs to duck

Boyz In the Wood - tired after their mad dash and then crawl through the forest only to be denied their target, the recon unit will go back to the Stryker to top up on ammo and AT rockets and then head towards the Weather station - i can only assume Con is already there - ill need to tread lightly

Sir Slash

The Ukraine is really lovely this time of year isn't it?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

undercovergeek

As long as there's seasonal flaming Russians I'm ok

JasonPratt

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 25, 2015, 10:26:09 AM
As long as there's seasonal flaming Russians I'm ok

Quoting that on the other thread.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

undercovergeek

It all goes quiet..............

On the right the recon team arrive at the bridge and occupy the zone. They dismount and the Stryker sits back in the trees to provide any needed covering fire

I have an eerie feeling that Con is just on the horizon in that tree line

Sniper team on the left side of the central wooded area, about 100m from the destroyed recon vehicle hit by the immobile Stryker, theyll edge round the forest keeping an eye on the railway line anyone supporting the weather station

The LT, on his own at the back - his Stryker has been sent to fill the gap the immobile one cant - provide cover for the recon unit heading towards the weather station. Besides which, hes busy........

.........calling in a drone to spy on the weather station - not sure how successful this will be - well see

On the left, the team heading for the loading area. It occurs to me there is an unconfirmed squad of enemy who exited the burning recon vehicle, presumably with RPG support of some kind and now a set of undefended scout targets for Con to visit - this Stryker will drop off the team and head back to the corn field to check for bodies, or incoming rockets of doom

JasonPratt

JasonPratt

I just realized I should probably add here, since you aren't checking Con's thread where I said this already, but this duo-AAR is my favorite thing for the month of April already, and it isn't even already April.  O0  O:-)

undercovergeek

The sniper team makes its way past the destroyed recon vehicle, no bodies - crew and/or infantry out here somewhere - being vewwwwwy quiet

I see red people - at the far end of the fields on the left hand side the recon team spot the enemy, so does their Stryker - whilst i want to slow down this advance, i dont want to open fire yet, lets see who else is coming

In the opposite wood, the Strker slowly makes its way towards the weather station - if he doesnt go through the wood he shows his flank to a suspected enemy position, and I need him........

.........to support these guys as they advance on the weather station - also quietly tip toeing throu the woods

With a flourish of bugles, the cavalry arrives, 2 mortars, another sniper team and small stryker company

So the plan..............

undercovergeek

The s*** hits the fan for the recon boys out left -

they heard these vehicles coming all the way towards them but could not see them until the last minute - Con drove these guys hard assuming i wasnt there

a few yards to their left

and a few yards to their right

a few seconds before this shot the AT guy hit the vehicle to the left in the wheels and it ground to a halt - i dont think either can see my guys, the AT guy is reloading. However on the far side of the hit vehicle is their Stryker - he cant actually see the recon vehicle yet so has a hunt order to just nudge through the trees - i assume he cant see me either

Back up is on its way with 2 more behind the camera

Over on the right flank an arty drop is ordered on the tree line directly opposite, a lateral dispersal all across the front, i want to drop also on the forest line further in the distance to the left but cant see all of it for a good solution. The XO team is inbound to get a better view

And heres the XO and other mortar vehicles arriving to also pound the forest

In the middle the sniper team find the crew of the damaged recon vehicle and in the background the rear of the weather station

On the other side of the same wood, the team from the broken Stryker heading to the front of the weather station hear footsteps and immediately halt and turn left

Whilst their support vehicle breaches the wood and covers the front of the weather station