Polaris Sector - another new space 4x

Started by RedArgo, November 02, 2015, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Matrixgames has created a completely dedicated site for Polaris Sector and its live.  Release tomorrow.

http://polaris.slitherine.com/

...and a new video

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bayonetbrant

You guys know we've run about 6-7 episodes of a visual AAR on the front page for the past 2 months for Polaris, right?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Rayfer

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 21, 2016, 02:28:53 PM
You guys know we've run about 6-7 episodes of a visual AAR on the front page for the past 2 months for Polaris, right?

What front page?  Just kidding.

bbmike

My bank account is going to bit hard this spring.  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

vyshka

Anguille

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

tgb

I didn't put a lot of time into the Beta, but what I saw wasn't particularly impressive.  The approach to research is interesting, but other than that it's just another space-based 4X game in an overcrowded field. It's not bad, but with Stellaris, MOO, Endless Space 2, and perhaps even Distant Worlds 2 on the way I don't really see a reason to get excited.

vyshka

I wish Code Force would give us an update of where things stand with Distant Worlds 2

mikeck

I'm excited not because there is anything new, but because it ha everything I want. Ship design and combat from Stardrive, pausable and adjustable realtime like DW along with espionage and stuff. Nothing new but so many new ones are missing elements like meaningful combat.

For example, I'm disappointed in Moo4 because of the lack of espionage and meaningful combat
Disappoint in Predestination because it is the bases but you end up frantically clicking "next" turn because the time period is too short. Immersion killing
DW, don't like the graphics,
Galactic Civ, too cartoony

So far, stellaris looks great but this one looks good too. Has what I want even if it's not new.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

I guess it also has a fleet logistics system whereby ships require refueling and rearming. Can be done at a colony or you can include tenders and refuelers in the fleet...like DW
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Zulu1966

Quote from: mikeck on March 22, 2016, 01:52:12 PM
I guess it also has a fleet logistics system whereby ships require refueling and rearming. Can be done at a colony or you can include tenders and refuelers in the fleet...like DW

Well - you just made me buy it with that...
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Kushan

Quote from: mikeck on March 22, 2016, 12:49:50 PM
Disappoint in Predestination because it is the bases but you end up frantically clicking "next" turn because the time period is too short. Immersion killing

Sad to say I'm taking the complete opposite view, looks like just another MOO2 clone with absolutely no desire to try and innovate. Its like they went down the check list, humans; check, space elves; check, insectoid/reptile races; check, ship design; check....

Not saying Stellaris will be any better in terms of innovation but from what I've seen I get the impression they've done a better job at creating a "living" galaxy rather then just another space 4x with 8 empires fighting it out.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

mikeck

Fair enough. I'm to the point that I know what I like. If a game has it, I'm in. If it's the same old thing, then that's fine. In this case, there is nothing new, but not enough 4x have all of the elements I like. This one does.

Jarhead0331

^How is ground combat modeled? I know there are Marines, Heavy Infantry, Armor and "military boats" (pretty odd choice, there), but I'm not sure how it all works.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18