Steam Summer Sale 2018...

Started by steve58, June 12, 2018, 11:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Endless Space 2 is a fantastic game that could probably provide 1000s of hours of play.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

-budd-

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 29, 2018, 12:50:14 AM
Has anyone got Steep? Is it any good? It's only £8 - but still, I'd like to know how it plays. I've seen videos - but I want to know what a gamer thinks.

What about Dying Light? 7 Days to Die? Motorsport Manager?

I can give some info on 7 Days to Die, and my answer would be it depends....let me explain. How do you feel about survival games would be my first question? The game can be tough for new comers to get started, but there are settings to make it more approachable.

Graphics are voxel based but look pretty good when turned up, but its an alpha so FPS drop at higher settings does happen when a bunch of zombies are on screen.
If your going to build bases the resource gathering can be pretty grindy but there is creative mode that you can play and gift yourself the stuff you need. You can play on the stock map or a random generated map or get a map seed from the forums. Every 7th day your going to have to defend yourself and your base from zombies, you cant hide, they always find you, the zombie hordes get bigger each time. They will tear up your base and you'll have to repair it before the next horde, of course you can always take over an existing structure and fortify it. If i remember right there are 4 biomes, wastelands, desert, snow, green, some are harder to survive in then others, especially for new players. You can base above or below ground, but like i said resource gathering takes time[unless your in creative mode]. You can go nomad and just wander the map and bunkering down every 7th day. There are various setting when starting to adjust the game to your liking i.e starting horde size, whether zombies only walk, what you lose on death ect. ect.

If can be fun and a bit tense exploring the map when you first start, especially the towns and cities, sneaking around scrounging for food, water and weapons while avoiding the zombies. Deciding where you'll spend the night each day, you generally don't want to get caught out after dark. usually the nights are for crafting items, cooking food, boiling water, of course you could go out at night but i wouldn't recommend it until your geared up proper.

After almost a 1000 hours into the game i had a lot of fun in single player and multiplayer. Looks like alpha 17 will drop by the end of July, so a restart will be needed. What got old for me was the 7 day horde, the map features and the grind....of course this is after almost a 1000 hours. I not much looking forward to the stuff there focusing on and adding to the game, traps, electricity stuff, vehicles, a copter/plane thing. Some things i am looking forward to improved random gen maps, raiders/bandits, i'd really like them to focus on the zombie AI and map features with more interesting POI's [points of interest]. There's probably more stuff but i haven't been keeping up with it. i'll jump back in when alpha 17 drops.  There are some other survival games that i enjoy more right now, The Forest, Subnautica, Empyrion, P.A.M.E.L.A., Subsistance, the last three are in alpha still but completely playable. The Forest and Subnautica are released and are fantastic survival games, what makes them different from 7DTD is the over arching story/goals which 7DTD doesn't have and the environments are more interesting, especially Subnautica.
Of course this is all IMHO, hope it helps.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Boggit

@Budd

If you're into survival, and like base building check out Rimworld. My daughter got me into it last week and it is unbelievably addictive. :bd:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Ian C

Quote from: Gusington on June 29, 2018, 07:17:42 PM
Endless Space 2 is a fantastic game that could probably provide 1000s of hours of play.

I bought this and all DLC. Blown away by the visuals - absolutely stunning UI and graphics. Other 4x's look like they were made in the 90's compared to this. In my first game and enjoying it.

solops

I absolutely Detested the first Endless Space, particularly (but not limited to) the inability to influence much about the battles or ships. I loved Endless Legends. The makes Endless Space 2 different?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

jamus34

Quote from: Boggit on June 30, 2018, 05:40:42 AM
@Budd

If you're into survival, and like base building check out Rimworld. My daughter got me into it last week and it is unbelievably addictive. :bd:

Haven't played in a while but rimworld is awesome. Frustrating, but awesome.
Insert witty comment here.

-budd-

Quote from: Boggit on June 30, 2018, 05:40:42 AM
@Budd

Yea, been following Rimworld for awhile. Generally the only games i buy full price are from wargame developers i want to support, otherwise I usually wait for a sale. I have to throw up some barriers to my lack of impulse control game buying, because the fact that I already have too many games doesn't seem to deter me. The Rimworld guy said no sale until game is released, I'll be waiting.

OJsDad

Made 3 purchases;

They Are Billions
Oriental Empires
Stellaris: Distant Stars (not on sale)
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Philippe

Oriental Empires is a very nice game.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

-budd-

Picked up:
Commander the Great War
Firewatch
Tastee: Lethal Tactics
Duke Nukem 3d: 20th anniversary edition
Shadow Warrior Classic Redux

Also got the Battle Academy bundle at Fanatical

Tiamak

I now have close to 700 games on my Steam account.  At what point do I seek help?  Steam sale damage so far is limited:-

Bomber Crew
Tank Warfare Tunisia plus DLC
Agents of Mayhem
Just Cause 3

Thinking of buying Cold Waters, but despite the sale its still £20.99  Same with Railway Empire £27.99  Might wait to the winter sale for these.

Has anyone played Into the Breach?  FTL was fun for 10 minutes or so, but nothing more.

airboy

I am weak:
One Deck Dungeon
Darkest Dungeon
Clad in Iron Philippines
Darkensang

SirAndrewD

Freeman Guerrilla Warfare and Clad in Iron Philippines here.  Will probably grab one more before the end of the sale.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Pete Dero

Quote from: Tiamak on June 30, 2018, 09:54:05 PM
I now have close to 700 games on my Steam account.  At what point do I seek help? 

This place might not be the best place to find help.  Sympathy from fellow sufferers is available  ;D.

berto

Purchased:  Clad in Iron: Philippines.

Thinking also to buy:  Commander: The Great War.

Hoping that one or the other will run on Linux (Wine).
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com