Combat Mission status

Started by RyanE, May 27, 2018, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

So when we pushed for Steve to step up and start communicating, I never expected it to be this entertaining.  This thread is not where Steve should have stepped in.  Looking at how many posts and how long they are, he is spending hours arguing with his customers.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/133207-they-meant-september-of-next-year/?page=19

A simple update on not hitting the estimated date would have been good.  Now he is getting pinned to the mat on holding pre-order money with no commitment to deliver.  He went from not having 5 minutes to post an update to a round-the-clock monitoring of that thread.  Just when I think that thread can't devolve any more, it does.

Tuna

Quote from: RyanE on October 16, 2018, 11:56:58 AM
So when we pushed for Steve to step up and start communicating, I never expected it to be this entertaining.  This thread is not where Steve should have stepped in.  Looking at how many posts and how long they are, he is spending hours arguing with his customers.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/133207-they-meant-september-of-next-year/?page=19

A simple update on not hitting the estimated date would have been good.  Now he is getting pinned to the mat on holding pre-order money with no commitment to deliver.  He went from not having 5 minutes to post an update to a round-the-clock monitoring of that thread.  Just when I think that thread can't devolve any more, it does.

What game is the thread about?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Tuna on October 16, 2018, 03:31:31 PM
Quote from: RyanE on October 16, 2018, 11:56:58 AM

What game is the thread about?

Combat Mission Shock Force 2

Tuna

lol. I thought that was out already! A couple weeks ago, people were posting about discounts for CMSF 1 owners, so I thought it was out!  :-X

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Tuna on October 16, 2018, 04:46:19 PM
lol. I thought that was out already! A couple weeks ago, people were posting about discounts for CMSF 1 owners, so I thought it was out!  :-X

if it was out, nobody would post in this thread:). we only post here when we have something to complain about:)

-budd-

I don't really get to worked up about this stuff. I own Red Thunder and the Normandy Big Bundle and haven't really had any issues with upgrading or anything and the one time i did Steve was pretty quick on helping me out. I don't frequent their forums much at all but it certainly sounds as if he doesn't care if he gets and keeps customers. I agree he doesn't owe information about upcoming releases, EXCEPT when you take peoples money on a pre-order, that implies a certain obligation to keep them in the loop and keep them updated.

As a side note, i have the first three games, anyone get those games to use wide screen resolutions? I haven't been able to get them to work on my new laptop. I just cant play in that square box, love me some CMBB.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Michael Dorosh

Ryan, the link you provided opens on another of Steve's f@##%# car analogies. You could at least warn a guy.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: -budd- on October 16, 2018, 08:03:15 PM
I agree he doesn't owe information about upcoming releases, EXCEPT when you take peoples money on a pre-order, that implies a certain obligation to keep them in the loop and keep them updated.

Not sure if "owe" is the right word, but I think there would be nothing wrong with open communication with customers, especially after they missed their own deadline they posted.  He even admitted within the posts that he knew they weren't going to make end of September weeks ago....he absolutely knows this works up his customer base, why not just post a quick message instead of letting your fan base attack each other for 100's of posts?  Every one is entitled to their opinions but his explanation that he doesn't do it because he doesn't think whatever answer he ever gives will be accepted is pretty weak in my opinion.  That's taking the easy way out.  It is what it is at this point, never will change.  Just for the life of me I can't figure out how they are making tons of money where they could care less in losing customers over stupid stuff like this.

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Elvis

The demo has been released.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/133389-cmsf2-demos-released/

Edit: Dang, I have to work on improving the speed of my typing. Beaten to the punch.

Michael Dorosh

Downloaded, no issues, fast download speed and routine install.

Never really was my area of interest so not overwhelmed. Spun a Bradley in one of the demo scenarios around the block. Fire effects are underwhelming.

Michael Dorosh

Hmm, looks like the demo is missing a bmp for a damaged roof skin?

Grim.Reaper

and update on the actual release.....looks like content will be released over multiple releases with the first possibly being at end of october.

We're close to release, but not quite there yet!  The Demos are now out for all to enjoy while we finish things up. Let me explain...

When we set out to remake CMSF1 into CMSF2 we made a decision to release the Base Game and the three Modules all at once.  This allows people to purchase Bundles right away instead of facing the decision to buy sooner, one full priced piece at a time, or wait until we have everything out for a bulk discount.  Since it would suck for you guys to face this choice we opted to release everything at once.

The downside of releasing everything at once is having to rework the content of effectively 4 games at one time.  That's a total of something like 150 battles (stand alone + campaigns) that needed reworking.  As you can imagine it's not just adding the updated style of Briefings, it's about making sure the scenarios are properly balanced with all the game changes from the past 10 years.  Adding FoW fortifications, AI Plan overhauls, touching up maps, etc. and then going through the testing cycle make sure everything works right takes a long time to do.  More than we expected, that's for sure.

OK, OK, OK... I know you're wondering what this all means in terms of a release timeframe.  What we've decided to do is stop making you wait until every single scenario and the 6 campaigns are totally done.  Instead, we're moving towards releasing all the stand alone scenarios, the Base Game campaign (TF Lighting), and the campaign for Marines (Semper Fi!) in one go.  That's a couple hundred hours of entertainment right there, not to mention what QuickBattles adds to the mix.  That should keep you busy while we finish reworking the British and three NATO campaigns :)

I don't think we can get it out the door by the end of October, but we don't want it to be much longer than that.  We released Upgrade 4 at Christmas time last year and we'd rather not do that again for understandable reasons.

I'll give you guys another update at the end of the month.

Thanks for your patience!  This has been a labor of love for sure, with almost equal emphasis on both the labor and the love!

Steve

Yskonyn

Ok now I am getting a tad annoyed; this realisation probably was coming for a long time. Why go into the endless discussions and anologies instead of just biting the bullit and giving a clear and honest sitrep?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

RyanE

You're just realizing that now?  I realized Steve's MO back on the original CMSF release.  A bunch of us were posting the issues we were finding and fighting with the beta team about how things were broken.  It went on for months without Steve or anyone official intervening or communicating.  Meanwhile, Steve was posting in a thread about the STryker brigade with multiple posts a day arguing about Stryker tactics.  Nero fiddle while Rome burned.