Jurassic World Evolution

Started by Grim.Reaper, March 30, 2018, 05:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 12, 2018, 01:24:17 PM
Seems like the game is getting pretty positive reviews overall from players and critics (other than RPS). Perhaps it is worth a closer look?

Not for $60 from me:)  I'll wait a few days to see how people's reviews go, need to be sure those people aren't just being overly optimistic to make them feel better about pre-ordering:)

JasonPratt

Generally the (few) Steam negative reviews echo the positive ones: love the game, but it feels and plays like a shallow mobile game. Gameplay is far inferior to Operation Genesis (even without that game's fan patch/update from a few years ago).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

JasonPratt

I was about to say that we need a Turok survival game, but we kind of have one already with ARK.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

solops

Thought I might be the only one who remembered Turok from the 1960's comics.
My son bought this game and really likes it. Says you design and breed your dinos as part of the game, kinda like The Sims3.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Staggerwing

Quote from: solops on June 23, 2018, 06:09:08 PM

There were several Turok video games made in the 90's and 2000's. You can get some on GOG.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

reapagan

Ah, yes Turok son of stone, his faithful sidekick Andar, and of course the ubiquitous "honkers".

JasonPratt

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 23, 2018, 07:40:56 PM
Quote from: solops on June 23, 2018, 06:09:08 PM

There were several Turok video games made in the 90's and 2000's. You can get some on GOG.

Those are based on the gritty rebootquel.

spelk

Meant to mention this when we published it, but I forgot to add it...

I did a sidecast (a supplementary show to the main "Clod of War" podcast) with my Son, talking about Jurassic Park Evolution. I played a fair bit of it on the PS4, but my nipper rinsed it on the PC.. so I throw a load of questions at him, to see if anything that comes back is interesting or useful to potential players.

If you fancy it, have a listen. You can listen to it through Anchor.fm, or it should be hosted on a lot more podcasting platforms, choose from the icons at the top to listen...

https://anchor.fm/clod-of-war/episodes/Sidecast-Jurassic-World-Evolution-Interview-with-Ians-nipper-e1p744

It's nearly 40 minutes of banter though.. almost as long as an episode of the main show.. :)

solops

Anyone playing this? It has been patched a few times. How is it now?

Jarhead0331

Reviews are still lukewarm. I don't think the problems had to do with things that could really be addressed in a patch. Had more to do with fundamental game design decisions.

Anyway, this will be a $20 or less buy for me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 31, 2018, 06:14:43 AM
Reviews are still lukewarm. I don't think the problems had to do with things that could really be addressed in a patch. Had more to do with fundamental game design decisions.

Not enough content.  It also seems that whatever you do the animals will brake out (our your own crew will sabotage the gates).
Removed it from my wishlist some time ago.

Grim.Reaper

+1...although my threshold may be in $10-$15 range, but I don't suspect it will get there soon....

solops

This is all disappointing. I mean...DINOSAURS!! Who does not want a game with cool dinosaurs? My son still likes it and recommends it to me. He likes it but he thinks I might find it a little "light". Apparently so, from the above comments. Too bad I was reeeaally bored last night and bought it. At least I got 35% off. I will probably let it sit until some significant changes or DLC improve the game.
:-(

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 31, 2018, 04:45:09 PM

+1...although my threshold may be in $10-$15 range, but I don't suspect it will get there soon....

Looks like $21.99 in current sale....still not low enough for me to jump in, but getting closer....