Star Wars Battlefront II - PC

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 12, 2017, 05:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER

Sir Andrew 
does the MP battles feel good also
did the developers had found the right balance between an arcade and a more "realistic" one shot kills approach,
(i hope its not tooo arcade)
and is first person view/cockpit view available in all situation (i guess not when operating a lightsaber-whirling hero, which is total understandable)   
is there a bit of destructible/degrading environment like in Battlefield 1?
is there a bit of difference between cover an concealment ?

does at least the Rebels side is able to duck ( to avoid the contested word kneel  ^-^ ) or even can get prone
i could understand that Stormtroopers never do that cause of their doctrine and SOPs, but IIRC i saw Rebels kneeling in corridors and going prone in the movies

i am on the fence  O0

Destraex

Quote from: Moreb on November 13, 2017, 11:22:40 AM
Dogfight sequence then.  Is there a reason to split hairs?

No, just showing people why I got my hopes up 1% higher than they should have been and started asking about it. :P
People that know me here will know I don't consider it splitting hairs, I don't think a lot of wargamers would. Well those that argue about brass buttons on uniforms being incorrectly placed anyways.
Nothing personal, just the way I roll.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Silent Disapproval Robot

SirAndrewD

Quote from: MikeGER on November 14, 2017, 03:04:02 AM
does the MP battles feel good also
did the developers had found the right balance between an arcade and a more "realistic" one shot kills approach,
and is first person view/cockpit view available in all situation (i guess not when operating a lightsaber-whirling hero, which is total understandable)   
is there a bit of destructible/degrading environment like in Battlefield 1?
is there a bit of difference between cover an concealment ?

does at least the Rebels side is able to duck ( to avoid the contested word kneel  ^-^ ) or even can get prone
i could understand that Stormtroopers never do that cause of their doctrine and SOPs, but IIRC i saw Rebels kneeling in corridors and going prone in the movies

Yeah, the MP feels very good.   Battles progress via phases and have a very Star Wars feel.  Weapons all feel like they do something different, and playing the objective is massively more rewarded than racking up kills.

Time to kill I feel is pretty decent.  It's absolutely not one shot one kill, but that's fine as it discourages COD style run and gun play.  Both you and the enemy can take some damage before going down, and this is why you should stick to squads and play the objective. 

First person and cockpit view is available on all the ships and classes, with the exception of some of the heroes.   It's a mixed bag on if you will want to use the cockpit on all the ships.  On some it's good, others an improvement on third person, and yet others it's actually a major handicap. 

The environment is not freely destructible, but it will take cosmetic blaster damage as the battle goes on.  There is also some scripted destruction as the battle moves between phases.

There's no specific cover mechanic, but there is suppression by heavy weapons.  You can kneel, and it's actually useful when you're using a shield as it provides full cover against incoming fire while crouched.  Still, the game is meant to be fought Star Wars style, in the open and with daring feats of heroism that generally results in death. 

All the maps do have a lot of good terrain to hide behind though.

If you're on the fence check out some lets plays on Youtube, they're pretty representative of what you'll get.  Also pay attention to all the info about the loot crate system.  It's nefarious, greedy and draconian and does absolutely drag the product down.  Some are boycotting the game because of the progression system, and in honesty, I don't blame them.  The trend this game is following is troubling and very bad for both gamers and gaming.  I just found the game too much fun personally to pass on it completely. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JudgeDredd

When you talk about loot boxes and progression, you're talking about MP, right?
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 14, 2017, 02:04:24 PM
When you talk about loot boxes and progression, you're talking about MP, right?

Yes.  They're not tied to the single player campaign at all. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Well finished my third and final mission available in the early access....mostly a space battle and was entertaining....now just need to wait until the final release to continue the campaign.

MikeGER

Sir Andrew,  THX for the detailed headup  :)

JudgeDredd

mmmm....the more I read about this game and it's loot boxes, the more I'm thinking perhaps I shouldn't signal to EA that their model is ok.

They wouldn't really affect me. If I do play online, it would be in and out here and there - but - by buying, regardless of whether I'm affected by loot boxes or not, I'm telling EA it's ok to shovel this stuff out. And that could affect me in the future.

I am really torn on whether to support this or not... :pullhair: :pullhair:
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 16, 2017, 02:05:32 PM
mmmm....the more I read about this game and it's loot boxes, the more I'm thinking perhaps I shouldn't signal to EA that their model is ok.

They wouldn't really affect me. If I do play online, it would be in and out here and there - but - by buying, regardless of whether I'm affected by loot boxes or not, I'm telling EA it's ok to shovel this stuff out. And that could affect me in the future.

over thinking:)

if you like the material, go for it....

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 16, 2017, 02:14:55 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 16, 2017, 02:05:32 PM

over thinking:)

if you like the material, go for it....
I know

But there is another game from another development team that at least deserves money and support.

Well - I'll see. I'll most likely be in tomorrow - I'm not buying TOAW IV anyway until I can get the postage cheaper.
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

The way I looked at it, my money to buy the game was for DICE, as they did what they didn't do in 2015 and made a really good Star Wars game. 

My decision to spend $0 on loot crates is my decision not to support EA, who I'm quite sure is almost wholly responsible for the system being grafted on to the game anyway. 

As it is, I've managed to earn enough credits from the Campaign and matches to afford crates and heroes without issue.  I got lucky and got several good cards on my fighter that has it at level 16, which is higher than most people in matches.  It hasn't kept me from being killed and hasn't vaulted me to #1 any more regularly than when my fighter was level 0.   If you don't spend money on the game, it's not going to put you in a hole, at least not after EA lowered the cost of heroes.

JudgeDredd

I suppose I'm not supporting their model if I don't buy loot crates, which I wouldn't.
Alba gu' brath

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus