Main Menu

Wars of Succession

Started by Hofstadter, July 07, 2016, 05:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 15, 2018, 06:33:15 PM
Quote from: mikeck on June 15, 2018, 02:52:44 PM
I think I'm games like Wars of Napoleon and End all Wars, they are pushing the engine too hard. The AI simply cannot properly use diplomacy or grand strategy. Limit it to recruiting, building armies and moving them operationally and it's great. But I think most realize that.

I would just say that if you have any interest in operational 18th century warfare and don't dislike the AGEOD system, you should check this one out

And, meanwhile, ships go sailing under an early-18th-century Sun:

And more meanwhile, I may have set the AI to a too-thoughtful setting;  Prince Eugene was busy in Italy besieging Modena.  Not really sure why.  It was a bit suicidal since No supplies had reached him in a year or so and Tessy had taken all that had been sent his way.  No he seems to have vanished along with the Imperial Army.  Perhaps he offered himself the honors of war and teleported himself to Wien.  Last time he vanished, he turned up in the Alps -- but this time (unless Venice has joined the Grand Alliance) I can't see where he could have gone.

PS.  Maybe he is in Mantua?

mikeck

Sounds odd, although on occasion, Athena (The AGEOD engine) does something weird; like sending Stonewall Jackson up to attack Pittsburg Pennsylvania in February 1862 whereupon he withers sans supplies. But all in all, she's pretty good. In my games as France, Prince Eugene gives me fits down there. I generally avoid a fight with him. I consolidate forces and try to wear him down. One time, I used my Navy to land a Small Force off the northeastern Adriatic. Used it to move north and cut his supply. Worked well although after a huge battle that tore up his force, his defeat was likely a foregon conclusion.

I'm glad someone else is playing this besides me. I mean C'mon! How many games cover 18th century warfare operationally?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on June 18, 2018, 10:19:47 PM
Sounds odd, although on occasion, Athena (The AGEOD engine) does something weird; like sending Stonewall Jackson up to attack Pittsburg Pennsylvania in February 1862 whereupon he withers sans supplies. But all in all, she's pretty good. In my games as France, Prince Eugene gives me fits down there. I generally avoid a fight with him. I consolidate forces and try to wear him down. One time, I used my Navy to land a Small Force off the northeastern Adriatic. Used it to move north and cut his supply. Worked well although after a huge battle that tore up his force, his defeat was likely a foregon conclusion.

I'm glad someone else is playing this besides me. I mean C'mon! How many games cover 18th century warfare operationally?

I also landed in the Northeastern Adriatic.  You can get through to the Hungarians and Bavarians maybe that way.  I'm not sure what went wrong with Eugene.  His supply was cut (again shades of the confederates going to Pittsburg and having no supplies) and now he is hopelessly beseiged in Mantova.  There's just no room for him on this map to manoeuvre.  If I play the Grand Alliance, I'm going to get Eugene out of there and ambush the Bourbons elsewhere.
   Meanwhile its June 1703 and Marlborough is beseiging Antwerp while his allies swarm over the Spanish Netherlands, so life is still hard for the Bourbons.
   It's a pretty neat game.  Every turn gives you lots of pretty tricky decisions to make -- usually for situations that won't unfold for another few turns so there's a lot of layers of suspense.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 18, 2018, 11:26:49 PM
Quote from: mikeck on June 18, 2018, 10:19:47 PM

I also landed in the Northeastern Adriatic.  You can get through to the Hungarians and Bavarians maybe that way.  I'm not sure what went wrong with Eugene.  His supply was cut (again shades of the confederates going to Pittsburg and having no supplies) and now he is hopelessly beseiged in Mantova.  There's just no room for him on this map to manoeuvre.  If I play the Grand Alliance, I'm going to get Eugene out of there and ambush the Bourbons elsewhere.
   Meanwhile its June 1703 and Marlborough is beseiging Antwerp while his allies swarm over the Spanish Netherlands, so life is still hard for the Bourbons.
   It's a pretty neat game.  Every turn gives you lots of pretty tricky decisions to make -- usually for situations that won't unfold for another few turns so there's a lot of layers of suspense.

So the drama of Prince Eugene Continues.  It is August 1703.  The British slipped in a force to Eugene (sailing up the river...at that point Eugene still controlled the "Coastal" guns on the river) so Eugene had a combat power of about 500 and he attacked the besiegers who had a power of about 1500.  To my horror, despite my mass infantry attack, the Bourbons lost the battle.  However the results of the defeat are that Eugene has a combat power of about 100 and the besiegers have nearly 800 plus the fort guns and the harbor guns and the magazines.  So I guess Eugene is holding out in the citadel with his winnings.   Meanwhile, if the Bourbons take Graz with their French expeditionary force, they are within a few moves of Wien from three sides (West Bavaria, East Hungaria and south the expeditionary force).  Up North the Grand alliance has 3 sieges going and the Bourbons will only be able to lift two of those if they are lucky.

Nefaro

I want to pick this up sometime as it covers one of the most interesting periods.  But not gonna do it until I'm ready to start playing as soon as I get it.  Have trained myself better lately.  :arr:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 16, 2018, 04:32:43 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on June 15, 2018, 06:33:15 PM
Quote from: mikeck on June 15, 2018, 02:52:44 PM
I think I'm games like Wars of Napoleon and End all Wars, they are pushing the engine too hard. The AI simply cannot properly use diplomacy or grand strategy. Limit it to recruiting, building armies and moving them operationally and it's great. But I think most realize that.

I would just say that if you have any interest in operational 18th century warfare and don't dislike the AGEOD system, you should check this one out

And, meanwhile, ships go sailing under an early-18th-century Sun:

And the war has been on for 9 months.  It is now early 1702 and all that has happened is that Prince Eugene scared the Bourbons in Italy and vanished and I (as a cunning Bourboneer) launched a winter raid with the Archbishop of Cologne's army under Westerloo -- who can command French people and Germans! --  Westerloo's little army reached Koblentz and was about to perish of bad food, glanders and the icy cold of the Lower Rhine -- I belatedly assembled some rescue forces -- but all might have been lost except that the garrison of Koblentz accepted the Honors of War and Westerloo and company were able to get out of the cold and recover:

My saving Westerloo story inspired me to go back to this game.  Sorta like Crusader Kings III but around 600 years later and more involved with taking cities and such.

twitter3

I managed to finish the Northern Wars scenario as the Swedish and it did not go too badly. Very good game!

MengJiao

Quote from: twitter3 on September 08, 2020, 09:18:07 AM
I managed to finish the Northern Wars scenario as the Swedish and it did not go too badly. Very good game!

Yes.  It's pretty good.  I'm starting over with the Italy in 1701 scenario...which is small and introductory.