Looks like Rising Storm moving on to Vietnam

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 20, 2015, 07:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

demjansk1942

I bought this and I am hoping it will be better than the other titles.

Nefaro

Quote from: demjansk1942 on May 03, 2017, 04:35:28 AM
I bought this and I am hoping it will be better than the other titles.

You didn't like the other RO2 titles?

Surtur

Hi guys,

Full disclosure, we are a distribution platform for tripwire /Full disclosure

I am really loving the game, played in the beta waves. It is great fun. Hit me up if you want to play some games during the weekend, a new beta wave is expected.

Cheers,

Surtur
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

Toonces

Can you expand on how it's different from Rising Storm?  That seems to be a concern of some.  Or how bot play is?

It's an instant buy for me because I love MP RO2, but some folks might appreciate a contrast between the two/three.

Understand if you're under NDA.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Surtur

Hi Toonces,

For the most part I am, but there are some things I could expand upon.

For bots, it is not a priority and botplay won't be available at release. Now the bot code is still in there, so I expect modders to activate it. Generally though, the community really disliked the mods, so the team decided not to invest resources in it. This is first and foremost a multiplayer experience.

For differences compared to the previous Rising Storm, there are many.

First of all, due to the setting, gameplay is very different. More automatic firearms change the pace of the game quite a bit,  actually making it a bit slower paced in my view. The assymetrical gameplay of Rising Storm has been expanded upon. The VC and NVA have a very different fighting style from the US. The VC/NVA can use tunnels to create spawn points for example. wherass the US can spawn from helis. US also has huge oportunities for fire support. Did I mention helis are in? They can be piloted by people, either to fight or deliver troops to the front lines. The VC/NVA can retaliate with traps, tunnels and rocket artillery.

Another change is the addition of a smaller, faster tactical mode for 16 players. We expect this will be popular with competitive games.

The squad system has been made less rigid. You don't have to have specific roles within the squad if you don't want to. Special classes are limited per side, not per squad.

Then we have the graphic updates, while initial screenshots did not show it. A number of improvements were made during the course of the beta, switching to a newer DirectX.

There are many more changes and additions, and more will be made public soon, someone even spoke of an open beta  ^-^

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Surtur

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

No SP = No buy. If I wanted to play a mp only game, I'd be playing Squad. ARMA III Unsung Vietnam will continue to supply my Vietnam fix. It's spectacular.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

^ Did you ever try SP in Rising Storm or RO2?  It was horrible.  I can understand why they wouldn't prioritize it.

Completely understand if you're not into MP, but you are missing out on a seriously fun experience.  If you get two good teams duking it out and can be pretty intense.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Surtur

Quote from: Destraex on May 05, 2017, 06:05:53 AM
"we expect" surtur?
Are you a dev?

Not a dev, my company helps Tripwire with distribution for all their games.

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on May 05, 2017, 06:32:22 AM
^ Did you ever try SP in Rising Storm or RO2?  It was horrible.  I can understand why they wouldn't prioritize it.

Completely understand if you're not into MP, but you are missing out on a seriously fun experience.  If you get two good teams duking it out and can be pretty intense.

I've enjoyed the MP in the past RO2s.

This one looks even better.   :notworthy:

jomni

For those who pre-purchased, game is now downoadable.

Father Ted

So I've spent some time with this and it's pretty much what I hoped it'd be - RO2 reskinned for Vietnam.  The graphics have been given a welcome buff so that everything is a whole lot more colourful, bright and crisp.  The sound also is top notch - both weapons and soundtrack, though I still find the triggered voice-acting irritating.

I've not experienced all the game-modes, but the basic one has an interesting dynamic in that at the end of each round the teams are swapped and the map is played again, so you are "forced" to play both sides.  This is, I think, a good thing due to the asymmetric design of the game - players won't get het up about one side or the other being OP if they get exposed to both sides.

Bottom line: I'd recommend this if you fancy being in a Kubrick/Stone movie, but don't mind "dying" over and over...

jomni

There is the squad tunnel for the Communist. This becomes an extra spawn point even behind enemy lines.
The US can spawn on helicopters (piloted) and can land behind enemy lines too but can be shot down.

Destraex

Probably the hardest competitive shooter I have played to date. Most of the time you never see your enemy and I would say most of the player base has been playing for ages in closed beta waves previous to this one. It's a recipe for some really hard game play. Add to that a city map and it's over in seconds. You seem to have to level up to get better cosmetic kit like peace helmets etc.

Some of the sounds are placeholders still I think. A lot of the weapons still sound generic. They don't sound bad, just generic. I believe the voices are also generic at this stage... placeholders?

All in all I can see myself, like in Verdun. Coming back to this time and again. Getting shot time and again, then quitting for a time. However if I had a squad worth a damn, that was serious enough and experienced enough on each map, I can see that the game could become a LOT easier. This AINT hollywood, there are no heroes here, you need a proper unit with proper tactics.

What these games always struggle with imho opinion is campers who just snipe the whole game in the same positions. In a real war the battle commonly moves before snipers can get in the perfect position where targets are guaranteed. Or they wait for days to get a target. In games like this due to the small scope, camping and sniping is almost always rewarded.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

jomni

Quote from: Destraex on May 13, 2017, 08:08:46 PM
What these games always struggle with imho opinion is campers who just snipe the whole game in the same positions. In a real war the battle commonly moves before snipers can get in the perfect position where targets are guaranteed. Or they wait for days to get a target. In games like this due to the small scope, camping and sniping is almost always rewarded.

Why is it not a valid tactic?