Main Menu

World of Warships

Started by Kushan, June 06, 2015, 11:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

Quote from: MengJiao on February 10, 2019, 07:08:06 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 10, 2019, 05:06:33 AM
The second wasn't so bad, but that first clip is disgusting.  That's exactly what I'm talking about.  If I'm in a cruiser I should want to get close to a destroyer so that my secondary guns can do their thing.  The wiki says there is a minimum range for torpedoes but I've yet to bloody find it.

I generally try to stay far from DDs no matter what.  If I'm under 3-4 kilometers from them I should be working hard to avoid torps and/or have my own torps about to blow him up.   I only fight the robots so things might be different in PvP, but I find DDs to be the most dangerous of foes and I try to kill them first and work hard to get them before they get me -- i don't think Ive ever seen a minimum range have any effect and generally, the closer you are to a DD the more likely they are to hit you with some torps.  I generally tend to play DDs myself so I tend to fire torps from any reasonable range BUT really close seems to work really well especially against bigger ships.

Always turn directly away from DD's. Extend away, and live to fight another day.

DennisS

I am not a great WOWS player. I have a lot of experience, and that helps.

I deleted my main account, and started over on steam. I am all the way up to seven different tier 3 cruisers, going pretty strong.

I am playing with other humans vs. the AI. Yeah yeah...Across 73 missions, I am averaging 3.18, as far as game placements, after the match. I want to consistently average in the top three, prior to playing against humans, if I ever do.

Funny....the humans I am playing with are vastly worse than the seasoned crew from the non-steam players. We have gotten our ass beat, BAD, by the AI, on more than one occasions. One match, in my Tenyru, I had three torp kills, and 68k damage, and found myself getting shelled by four ships. What? WHAT? I was the only human left, against five ships. I got another one before I got sunk...but dayyum! Four kills, 85k damage, and we lose!

MengJiao

Quote from: DennisS on February 17, 2019, 06:21:12 PM
I am not a great WOWS player. I have a lot of experience, and that helps.

I deleted my main account, and started over on steam. I am all the way up to seven different tier 3 cruisers, going pretty strong.

I am playing with other humans vs. the AI. Yeah yeah...Across 73 missions, I am averaging 3.18, as far as game placements, after the match. I want to consistently average in the top three, prior to playing against humans, if I ever do.

Funny....the humans I am playing with are vastly worse than the seasoned crew from the non-steam players. We have gotten our ass beat, BAD, by the AI, on more than one occasions. One match, in my Tenyru, I had three torp kills, and 68k damage, and found myself getting shelled by four ships. What? WHAT? I was the only human left, against five ships. I got another one before I got sunk...but dayyum! Four kills, 85k damage, and we lose!

Trying carriers:

Gusington

I like it. Which one is it? And is it sailing in...the Adriatic? That's a weird pic.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on March 07, 2019, 09:10:11 AM
I like it. Which one is it? And is it sailing in...the Adriatic? That's a weird pic.

"Phillipines" (a port choice-- just an image) -- ship is the Hosho -- the first keel-up carrier (1922, I think, but sporting planes from about 1933)

Sir Slash

Nice! She looks like a, 'Ho' for 'sho'. So, how do carriers work in this game?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 07, 2019, 11:22:00 AM
Nice! She looks like a, 'Ho' for 'sho'. So, how do carriers work in this game?

They have completely redone the carriers.  I never did any carrier stuff cuz there were no Royal Navy Carriers -- weird Russian view of the world it seems.  So now the Hermes (the first one 1924), the Furious (wonderfully weird ship), the Implacable and the Audacious are due to be playable soon.
I considered the Langley, but she is quite slow.  The Hosho is at least slightly speedy...which one uses to hide behind rocks (along with the Bismarck occasionally).  As For playing them.  I ran the Hosho 4 times and got 2 torpedo hits, 8-10 rocket hits and some bomb hits...so except for comic relief they will probably not be played by me too often.  The AI on the other hand will probably be pretty deadly with them so I guess that is a good thing since I only play against the Robots.

DennisS

I have only seen one CV driver that had ANY idea on what they're doing. A carrier gets replaced with a BB for the AI team. This is a disaster...as it is VERY rare for a carrier driver to do anywhere near the damage they need to, to make up the difference in tonnage. My win rate, in the non-steam version, was 96% or higher...now, it is 92%, and I routinely am in the top three on the team.

I am strongly considering playing humans vs. humans...non-steam, it was very, very difficult, as I am way too aggressive. Might be different now vs. weaker human opponents.

MengJiao

Quote from: DennisS on March 07, 2019, 12:30:30 PM
I have only seen one CV driver that had ANY idea on what they're doing. A carrier gets replaced with a BB for the AI team. This is a disaster...as it is VERY rare for a carrier driver to do anywhere near the damage they need to, to make up the difference in tonnage. My win rate, in the non-steam version, was 96% or higher...now, it is 92%, and I routinely am in the top three on the team.

I am strongly considering playing humans vs. humans...non-steam, it was very, very difficult, as I am way too aggressive. Might be different now vs. weaker human opponents.

In the war against the Robots, I think the carriers have improved the interest of the game since they give the Robots some tricky advantages -- which is good cuz I only fight Robots.  So 1)
The humans have a carrier and this usually means they are lacking the firepower of at least one good ship -- which gives the Robots a much better chance.  I've seen many groups of humans get beaten by the Robots lately even as the humans say apologetically they only fight the Robots to make points. 2) Also humans seem less cooperative lately -- maybe due to being beaten 10% of the time by the Robots -- which is upsetting for some people apparently.  Or maybe its a new bunch of players or maybe better Robot logic.
3) What's going to be really interesting is when (I think in a few weeks), the Robots get carriers -- now you know they are probably going to do much better than the average human with carriers -- AND nobody can complain about fighter cover since carriers no longer have control over fighters (as I understand it).  Anyway, should be fun and I'm liking the whole carrier thing more and more.

Gusington

So once you launch the aircraft you have no control over them?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on March 07, 2019, 12:56:51 PM
So once you launch the aircraft you have no control over them?

Not fighters -- which is good since almost all anyone would say to carriers was "where is the fighter cover?"  The attack planes (usually the first to launch since they are a bit faster and have a better chance at hitting things smaller than a battleship) spot well.  So you know things may go badly if the carrier launches no planes right away to scout.  You can control attack planes with rockets, dive bombers and torpedo planes.

I took a shot of the Langley and some planes after I was dead in a battle we lost to the Robots:

Gusington

Every one of these shots you post is like a painting!!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on March 07, 2019, 02:30:27 PM
Every one of these shots you post is like a painting!!

Like most games, this one has some good lighting moments...but mostly its pretty murky and I don't take those images.