Epic Dr Who Marathon

Started by mirth, May 24, 2018, 03:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

They're also totally available (at last) on Prime with a bit of an extra Britbox subscription (like $2.50 a month I think).

(Note by totally I mean the ones with surviving copies of course. I haven't checked whether the official animated remakes of some episodes are included.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

That's cool. I prefer the classic Doctor.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

GDS_Starfury

while I do agree about Baker, the modern Doctors have petty much all crushed the role.
Tennant, and more so Smith, made it far more global.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

SirAndrewD

Capaldi was amazing.  I've been watching Dr. Who since the 80's and won't watch his last episode.  I am leaving on it with him as the Doctor from now on. 

But yes, Baker was best.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

As someone who grew up with Baker (whose tenure started around the time I started watching TV and also around the time our local PBS station started importing Doctor Who), I was surprised and pleased at the quality of the Third Doctor shows once I started back-watching them a few years ago. Second Doctor exceeded expectations rather well, too. In many ways the iconic Classic Who starts with Two's run immediately: as a younger actor he's more easily in charge of the adventures.

I was surprised (and a tad disappointed in not being able to share) to learn this weekend that my brother has watched all the Modern Who eps up to where they've been released on Prime. (I don't think final Capaldi season is out on Prime yet per se. Almost the only reason I'd watch that is to see Missy again.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Pertwee was very good, but no one tops Tom Baker.

GDS_Starfury

if Capaldi had been given as many seasons he would have surpassed Baker.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 27, 2018, 10:01:26 PM

He had the ability, yes. 

He improved every year. 

When his tenure ended, he made statements that he left by choice, and the BBC said the same, but there were a lot of rumors inside that Capaldi was essentially fired by the new show runner who had another actress in mind for the role and had the backing of the BBC. 

It wouldn't be the first time the BBC had put up smoke and mirrors about the departure of a Doctor (Colin Baker, Chris Eccelston).

That's part of the reason I feel no desire to go past Capaldi.   I felt strongly that he was the one that should get to live in the role for a while and make it his. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

If you had been given as many seasons, you'd have been remembered as the Goat Doctor.

bbmike

Nah.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

GDS_Starfury

all of the modern Doctors have had just 3 season.  whats been annoying is how the episode count has dropped so much.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers