Decisions Decisions

Started by Tuna, October 21, 2017, 12:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuna

Got a 20 dollar Steam card.. torn between

Strategic Command WWII (on sale should I grab it!)

Field of Glory II, looks cool, very tempted.

Making History II.. On paper I love the idea, but I didn't play the first one that long (Maybe I should give that one a shot first)

Or Bomber Crew (looks like mindless fun, plus only 15 bucks I can get the Stars in Shadow DLC on top of that.

bbmike

Easy. Field of Glory II. And I'm really not even into warfare in that period.  8)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Ubercat

I concur with FoG2. I won't be getting it on Steam, however, because I can't pass up the hardcover manual. When I eventually buy it, I'll get it from Matrix and use the provided Steam key to play.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

SirAndrewD

Field of Glory II is amazing and a gift that's going to keep on giving for a long time.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Silent Disapproval Robot

FlickJax

-budd-

Hard choice between SC and FOG2, both quality games. SC just had that community mod pack released and FOG2 already has community stuff released. Don't think you could go wrong either way, depends on what flavor you feel like right now. Both are well supported also.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Father Ted

Very interesting...I'm at the FoG II/Bomber Crew decision-fork also.  I own P&S and think it's a good game, thus I know that FoGII will be be good.  However, isn't it essentially just P&S with different skins?  Bomber Crew, on the other hand, seems to be an interesting new style of gaming for me, so...Sod it, I'll just get them both.

bbmike

^Spoken like a true Groghead.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jomni

Quote from: Father Ted on October 21, 2017, 06:04:07 PM
Very interesting...I'm at the FoG II/Bomber Crew decision-fork also.  I own P&S and think it's a good game, thus I know that FoGII will be be good.  However, isn't it essentially just P&S with different skins?

New shiny skins. But P&S doesn't cover the era so they aren't competitors. If you liked the P&S gameplay and ancient era, then it's a definite buy.

Bardolph

Finally got around to FOGII tonight, bought it a week or so ago. I liked it. I liked it better than Pike and Shot. Not sure why but I did.
Was a wee bit slow to scroll on my computer, didn't think it would be all that graphically intense but scrolling was sticky at times. Rotating was fine though.
Only played the first tutorial scenario but I enjoyed it. Reminded me a little of playing miniatures with DBA, something I spent many hours doing in the past.

I am interested in Strategic Command but some of the reviews worry me a bit. Stuff about scripted reactions that ignore the actual situation etc. Gonna have to go read the thread here about it before the sale is up lol.

Phantom

Another "vote" for FOG2 - there's a need for an up to date ancients game - and lots of content for a modern game too.
Bomber Crew reminds me of B17 - which was great game, mix of sim & RPG/people management - maybe someone will do a mod for Bomber Crew that makes it a little more serious/realistic (showing my age I guess) - though it does look a fun game.

Tuna

Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna go out and get another Steam Card and grab both FOG2 and Bomber Crew!  :bd: