IT reviews. Or is reviewed. Or both. In different ways.

Started by JasonPratt, September 06, 2017, 08:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

My wife and I saw this one last week and it wasn't half bad. We both enjoyed it but found it not really scary and kind of predictable but it was done very well. The Goonies meets Freddy Kruger kind of thing. Good summer movie.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Heard on the radio while passing by yesterday that It is now the top grossing R-rated movie of all time. And looks to catch up with The Sixth Sense.

That seems un-possible?  :o
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 26, 2017, 08:06:43 AM
Heard on the radio while passing by yesterday that It is now the top grossing R-rated movie of all time. And looks to catch up with The Sixth Sense.

That seems un-possible?  :o

it should totally be Deadpool!!!!!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

ghostryder

Quote from: mirth on September 06, 2017, 08:25:41 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on September 06, 2017, 08:16:07 AM
One spoiler from the reviews, which is worth spoiling: like the classic TV miniseries, the writers decided to jettison the... um... way that the kids ultimately escape from the sewers. By become adults. If you've read the book or have read much about it, you'll know what I mean.

Also smart. I'm not sure how you'd work that into a film and it's not a great plot point in the book anyway.

Just wouldn't fly in this PC world of today--although if my memory serves right the scene was tastefully done in the book. In today's world you'd have to write out the girl and make it a group homo scene---only then would it be accepted.

JasonPratt

Quote from: ghostryder on September 29, 2017, 09:33:05 PM
Quote from: mirth on September 06, 2017, 08:25:41 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on September 06, 2017, 08:16:07 AM
One spoiler from the reviews, which is worth spoiling: like the classic TV miniseries, the writers decided to jettison the... um... way that the kids ultimately escape from the sewers. By become adults. If you've read the book or have read much about it, you'll know what I mean.

Also smart. I'm not sure how you'd work that into a film and it's not a great plot point in the book anyway.

Just wouldn't fly in this PC world of today--although if my memory serves right the scene was tastefully tactilely done in the book. In today's world you'd have to write out the girl and make it a group homo scene---only then would it be accepted.

Tastefully, maybe. But he goes into tactile detail, to some extent.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ghostryder

You have to remember King is a far leftist--it's why every religious character in his books is portrayed as a gook---be it carrie's mom or comparing religion to an insurance scam, which he has done in interviews. So it goes without saying in his mind a boy becomes a man only after he gets laid - In the novel Beverly is a fierce independent girl, in the new film, she ends up as just another of Pennywise's victims, hanging in midair in the clown's lair like a pinata until the boys rescue her, reviving her with a kiss like Sleeping Beauty. Sigh. You may perfer it but I don't--it forces her into a damsel in distress - it would be like Ripley in Alien huddled down waiting to be rescued---and changing it is an obvious bend to PC censcorship.

And when you take her character in mind the rewrite is far more sexist than the original. Her strong fierce independance helped the boys become men in that scene--that's how it was written. Now what do you got? A weak girl waiting to be recued by a "man".