Main Menu

Stellar Monarch

Started by solops, February 27, 2017, 04:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

After running through a couple of games of Stars in Shadow I started a game of Stellar Monarch (formerly Pocket Space Empires). It is a bit odd, compared to most games today, and it is a bit overwhelming when you first start it, but the more I play it, the better I like it. The game has changed a lot in the last 6 months. It is kind of retro in design. There are no snazzy graphics or animations. The UI takes getting used to, partially because you don't do the kinds of things in this game that you do in most others. It is all planning, personnel management, internal politics and data analysis, with just a bit of admiralling to keep it fun. I like this kind of stuff. I am an organizer, planner and manager. If you like mainly moving fleets and seeing ships zap things, this will NOT float your boat. I have not played much, so I cannot say much about the AI, other than it is pis--ng me off right now. This game will only appeal to certain types. It will never be a big seller. I like it.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

BTW, you DO get to move fleets, but beyond that, control is minimal. I find that I control a lot of policy, diplomacy, R&D and personnel decisions and influence everything else. The internal political parties and loyalty stuff is interesting.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

There are several threads discussing this game. Not sure why the game didn't really grab much attention. It wasn't for lack of effort.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16422.0
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Kushan

Looks like a game that might run pretty well on my Surface Pro. I have every intention of picking it up at some point but my gaming schedule along with the rest of my life is rather busy right now.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

solops

I ran searches for both  Stellar Monarch and Pocket Space Empires before starting this thread, but somehow missed that one. My biggest challenge so far in playing is figuring out what happens "there" if I push "here." So far common sense seems to be working. Given the data available in reports, there are a HUGE number of working parts moving behind the green curtain. I suspect there is no way we'll ever know how they all mesh mathematically, and maybe that is as it should be. But, I'd still like a little bit more info on all of it. As I mentioned above, if you are someone who needs to see graphical moving feedback on all of this stuff happening, then this game is not for you. You get a list of reports each turn detailing battles (which you can go to), diplomatic events, R&D results and other major events, some of which you can then influence. Every 10 years you have an Imperial Court meeting in which you get to decide on a lot of major policy things, like whether to try to influence the  Dept of Commerce (or whatever) to be more loyal or to be more competent, launching investigations into corruption among the planetary governors, etc.. Fleet movements and makeup can be managed every turn, but the auto-pilot can take care of it as well.

solops

Quote from: Kushan on February 27, 2017, 08:56:06 AM
Looks like a game that might run pretty well on my Surface Pro. I have every intention of picking it up at some point but my gaming schedule along with the rest of my life is rather busy right now.

I would think so. Graphical requirements are minimal. It crunches a lot of numbers. It would probably run on my Kindle HDX Fire, if there was a version for it. The UI is pretty simple and is almost totally mouse based. I cannot recall doing any keyboard input at the moment, but there are shortcuts available.

solops

As I have played longer the game has become more about fleets ops, what goes where. There is no real tactical side. My original feeling of being overwhelmed by the internal politics and economics has abated. A lot of time is spent in angst over the next tech breakthrough. I am liking this more and more. The big question is still the AI. It gives me fits from time to time, then I go on a roll and wonder if (1) I am great, (2) the AI is terrible or (3) something horrible is going on and the other boot is about to connect to my backside...which has happened once in the early game. The jury is still out on the AI. The dev seems to be invested in making it all better and has plans. For a one-man show, this game is pretty neat.

solops

I have played for four days and finished four games in normal sized galaxies.  This game reminds me of a modernized and expanded version of the Apple IIe version of Reach for the Stars. I like it greatly and I am one difficulty level away from winning at the highest level. When the Parasites awoke and attacked at the same time as I had a rebellion I really lost some ground. If one of the major civilized races had come after me in a big way things would have collapsed. The rebellions are really well done. I hate them.

FarAway Sooner

Solops, you sound like a man hungering to write a quick AAR for us.

I hear a good AAR can get you all sorts of favorable headlines on this mythical place called a front page, but I'd have to see that for myself to actually believe it!

<:-)

solops

Maybe....if I start a new game rather than go to TW-Warhammer I will give it a try.

Staggerwing

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 07, 2017, 12:03:38 PM
Solops, you sound like a man hungering to write a quick AAR for us.

I hear a good AAR can get you all sorts of favorable headlines on this mythical place called a front page, but I'd have to see that for myself to actually believe it!

<:-)

LOL!

Let me throw out a lazy link (for the game, not the Mythical Front PageTM) for those who would like to have a peak: http://store.steampowered.com/app/446000/

(And, in the interest of fairness, here is one to that Mythical Front PageTM known this week, at least, as the Front Page of Ultimate Mystery: http://grogheads.com)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

solops

Stellar Monarch just got patch 1.28. This guy really supports his game!

Jarhead0331

The thing that irritated me about the early access period was that each patch cut more features than they added. I was really bummed out when generals and armies were cut out. I never came back to it after that.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

solops

I like this game and play it from time-to-time when I need a quick space fix. It is up to patch 1.31 and the developer has a DLC in the works:

-------------------------------------------
SILVER LEMUR GAMES:
I'm working on the first expansion for Stellar Monarch

A long, long time ago I promised that one day I will make an expansion for Stellar Monarch. This day is near, in a few days I'm starting to work on it.

Actually, I have it like half done already since between releasing new versions of the base game I was testing various concepts. I plan to release it somewhere this year.

BASIC INFORMATION:
* name of the expansion: Stellar Monarch: The Age of Technology
* planned release date: December 2019

ABOUT THE BASE GAME:
Stellar Monarch is a grand strategy 4X where you are the emperor not a logistics officer. It focuses on the grand scale of things with no micromanagement. There are rebels, assassins, court factions, disloyal admirals. In addition to traditional 4X mechanics you also deal with internal affairs of the empire.

ABOUT THE EXPANSION:
The expansion Stellar Monarch: The Age of Technology focuses on technology and science. It will have an improved research mechanic (optional random and hidden technologies, additional technologies, etc), terraforming mechanic, new alien races and an option to construct a fearsome mobile star fortress. Possibly other minor things will be added as well.
What exactly will be in the expansion is determined also by the final tests, so some of the planned features might be removed in the final version if those prove to be not fun during tests.

There will be also an option to disable the expansion for people who prefer to play without it and most likely an option to enable only some of the features of the expansion, so everyone can customize the gameplay to his/her own taste, especially for the most game changing features.

MAJOR FEATURES:
1) Research mechanic improved (hidden technologies option, random technologies option, additional/alternative technologies)
2) Terraformation mechanic
3) Ability to construct Star Fortress, a fearsome mobile station
4) New alien races (probably around 3 new races)
5) Smaller features (new planet type, maybe a new Scientific Glorious Achievement, etc)

Jarhead0331

...aaaaaaand he is already talking about removing planned features. lol

Weird.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog