Main Menu

Cold Waters

Started by Thomasew, September 28, 2016, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: DennisS on April 14, 2017, 06:38:33 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 29, 2016, 11:07:54 AM
Quote from: Capn Darwin on September 29, 2016, 08:31:28 AM
RSR was awesome. Loved all those Microprose games from back in the day. I hope this game is just as cool.

I played the hell out of those Microprose games on my C64. 

But I'm quite sure Red Storm Rising got more hours than any other.  Probably even more than Sid Meier's Pirates, which I hadn't thought possible up until that point.  Next highest was probably Gunship.  But RSR eventually held the crown.  I also recall picking up the GDW version of Harpoon about the same time.   O0

Still remember that RSR red box, with the red manual and the red floppy disk.  Fond memories of wasting my youth, staring too closely at a tiny tv screen, and turning into a troglodyte albino cave dweller whilst dodging fat little pixel torpedoes.   ;D

How can you forget F-19A, or later, F-117A. I played F-117A through 99 missions, twice.

Oh, yes.  F-19 got a helluva lot of play too.

I still think RSR probably held the lead in sheer hours of gameplay for me, though.  :)

Toonces

I had all of those, but RSR FTW.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

I had all the microprose games too, but somehow I skipped over RSR...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Steelgrave

Blasphemy! Having never hidden underneath a thermal layer, moving ahead quietly while Russian sonar sweeps around you and an Alfa lurks nearby is a hole in your education, JH. 

Nefaro

Quote from: Steelgrave on April 15, 2017, 09:34:29 AM
Blasphemy! Having never hidden underneath a thermal layer, moving ahead quietly while Russian sonar sweeps around you and an Alfa lurks nearby is a hole in your education, JH.

.. or popping noisemakers in a panic, decoying an enemy homing torpedo just long enough to slide inside it's search circle and go dead stop so it can't turn fast enough to get it's nose on you.  Make like a hole in the water while it circles around, pinging, and hope he doesn't shoot another one through your location.   *tension*

:dreamer:

DennisS

For grins and giggles, I once went up top, and launched a full spread of harpoons, and took off at 20+ knots. There were return shots, of course, with the circling torps, but by then, I was well away from acquisition range of them. As I recall, I did MAJOR damage during that fight, but it was scary as all hell, staying on the surface, and going all out for speed. Not for the faint of heart.

Toonces

I actually installed RSR on my laptop about two years ago.  It still holds up somewhat in gameplay.  The graphics, though, were eye-bleeding.  If the graphics were brought to modern standards, there's still a great game in there.

I'm hoping the devs stick more or less to this idea.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jamus34

One of my favorites was firing a torp at long range under the layer perpendicular to the target...have it turn 90* while the wire is intact and then pop it above the layer so whomever you are fighting thinks you're a couple thousand yards in another direction.
Insert witty comment here.

SirAndrewD

This makes my loins moist. 

Red Storm Rising WAS the best of the Microprose classics.  And that's not knocking F-19 or M1 Tank Platoon. 

I spent so many hours on all these games in my youth.  An even slight chance that this game will capture something that Red Storm Rising did on my long hours into weekend nights that I spent as a pimple scarred kid is worth the try.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Nefaro

Quote from: jamus34 on April 15, 2017, 09:25:45 PM
One of my favorites was firing a torp at long range under the layer perpendicular to the target...have it turn 90* while the wire is intact and then pop it above the layer so whomever you are fighting thinks you're a couple thousand yards in another direction.

Definitely.

Pretty much had to angle your fish in, or get a lot of separation from your launch location, because the target would nearly always retaliate with some BOL shot(s) down the initial detection bearing of them.

Despite not being a proper sim like DW, and the faster paced action injected into it, RSR still had some relevance to the strategy of the real thing.  And was damn fun despite the Hollywoodization.  Much easier to learn too.

Nefaro

I wonder.. will this be out before the end of the year?

Top of my wishlist.   :dreamer:

Toonces

How sweet would have been to have this released for the long weekend? :'(

SirAndrewD

Quote from: GJK on September 28, 2016, 06:55:36 PM
I'd like to see the UI, this looks to be an arcade game and not a "sub-sim" ala Silent Hunter.  I never played RSR, was it more more "game" and less sim (i.e., light)?

RSR was a game, not a sim.  I spent a ridiculous amount of time in my youth on 688 Attack Sub and Janes 688i, and no, RSR was nothing like those. 

But what RSR was was insanely FUN.  It wasn't exactly unrealistic, it just didn't make you spend two hours looking at a sonar waterfall to ID a target.  It gave you context, put you into the fight, and made you feel important in a wider war.  Such a great game that it's hard to really explain how good it was in the context of the time.  It was made especially better since I'd read Clancy's Red Storm Rising right as I had got the game as a teenager for Christmas. 

It's good stuff.  It's what Microprose was known for.   If Cold Waters is just a modern reskin, it's an instant classic.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

CJReich46

Never played Red Storm Rising, but I did play Harpoon (both mini and PC). I did play Silent Service.

But I'm intrigued.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

jamus34

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 28, 2017, 12:44:28 AM
Quote from: GJK on September 28, 2016, 06:55:36 PM
I'd like to see the UI, this looks to be an arcade game and not a "sub-sim" ala Silent Hunter.  I never played RSR, was it more more "game" and less sim (i.e., light)?

RSR was a game, not a sim.  I spent a ridiculous amount of time in my youth on 688 Attack Sub and Janes 688i, and no, RSR was nothing like those. 

But what RSR was was insanely FUN. It wasn't exactly unrealistic, it just didn't make you spend two hours looking at a sonar waterfall to ID a target.  It gave you context, put you into the fight, and made you feel important in a wider war.  Such a great game that it's hard to really explain how good it was in the context of the time.  It was made especially better since I'd read Clancy's Red Storm Rising right as I had got the game as a teenager for Christmas. 

It's good stuff.  It's what Microprose was known for.   If Cold Waters is just a modern reskin, it's an instant classic.

See, this is where I loved RSR. You are the captain of a nuclear attack sub. You should not be working stations on your own. You should be in CIC letting all the officers of the other components updating you on what the battle status and current situation is.
Insert witty comment here.