Main Menu

VR?

Started by Jarhead0331, April 05, 2016, 10:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Quote from: vyshka on July 22, 2017, 03:12:20 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on July 21, 2017, 10:16:14 AM
Holy meatballs! I checked out Onward with a friend today!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/496240/Onward/

This is counter strike 3.0. Don't let the simplistic graphics fool you from screenshots. Indeed, the game is still early access and it shows, but man, whats in already is a superb experience!

Interacting with the weapons, unloading a magazine and reloading a new one, talking into the team radio, taking your PDA from your back, cooking grenades and throwing them are all actual physical actions!
Locomotion is well done, though it does give me motion sickness when I get too active. But then again I am a noob VR player.

Look at these videos to see whats possible;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTfAwLbIkQc&t=325s

https://youtu.be/Ez-p6vNXapg

Definately one of the coolest multiplayer experiences I have had so far.

How is movement handled? With one of the touch thumbsticks? The videos I've seen make it look like it could turn into something really good.

So far I've spent my time in Elite:Dangerous VR, which worth the price of the oculus itself, and played a bit of Robo-recall. I've also been playing around with Google Earth which is pretty cool, and some of the art programs such as Medium, Quill, and Tilt Brush.
What I think could be cool would be if someone could take google earth vr and use it for virtual staff rides.

Come on, Jarhead! Stop acting like you know OUR Rift shizzle; the Touch controllers don't have a touchpad like on the Vive's controllers. 😜😊 They use analog thumbsticks like those found on console controllers and indeed the non-dominant one is used for movement, but there is a subtlety; you can either pan the view with 30 degree increments with the thumbstick on your dominant hand's controller, or you can tilt your non dominant hand to change your lateral view more naturally.
Its a great solution really.
Way better than those 'superior' Vive third-arm things. They are just a bad case of compensational behaviour, really. ✌🏻
And where's the gun fun you promised me? Slacker.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

^yes, yes. Forgot...

The best games to play with "authentic" guns are (1) BAM: Bullets and More, and (2) Hotdogs, Hoseshoes and Hand Grenades. Both of these games make a real effort to simulate close to authentic firearms function. This means you have to properly load, charge slides and bolts, and unload mags and reload when empty. The lists of weapons are constantly growing and include all kinds of pistols, semi-auto and revolver, submachine guns, rifles, shotguns, machine guns and even heavier weaponry like bazookas. The weapons, where appropriate, are totally modular and ere are dozens of attachments and accessories to equip. There are throwable objects like grenades, dynamite, Etc. and even other projectile weapons like bows and arrows, as well. Each game has various maps, shooting ranges, point based games, and other interesting modes to explore the weapons.  It's really cool being able to turn your game room into your own little shooting range.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Zulu1966

Ordered ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And then

:knuppel2: :knuppel2: :knuppel2: :knuppel2: :knuppel2:
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Yskonyn

Another convert!  :notworthy:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Staggerwing

Just got my shipping notice as well. Still have to wait of a good deal on a new gfx card.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Zulu1966

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 29, 2017, 08:46:21 AM
Just got my shipping notice as well. Still have to wait of a good deal on a new gfx card.

Yes - I understand there is a backlog - still am away for a couple of weeks - hopefully will arrive the day am back.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Jarhead0331

I think the Oculus sale was very smart. Its going to get a lot of new players into the VR market.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

I've been running Onward with a few mates yesterday again. Nothing fancy, just us against bots. Still getting comfortable with the various mechanics of reloading, grabbing and using the PDA, using the radio, etc. Not everything is second nature yet.
But man, this really is next gen gaming!
Moving tactically, crouching behind your desk, using it to steady your aim while sitting behind a wall. Its so super immersive! It probably looks hilarious from the eyes of someone else there with you in the room! 😜
I am going to shoot a timelapse of myself for fun in the coming days.

Skoop

I bet the civil war fps (War of Rights) that's in EA would be way better as a VR game like onward.

ArizonaTank

Anyone have experience with vorpx for Rift?  I am wondering if it can make the headset work in games like Rise of Flight or other non-VR sims.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

James Sterrett

VorpX:  You may find you need excellent "VR legs" to make it work.  I've found it a quick trip to motion sickness each time, unfortunately - and note that I get motion sick so infrequently that I don't recognize it until I'm at the point of puking.

For what it's worth, I tried Steel Beasts and Mount & Blade Warband.  Given advice on making them work without making me sick I'd try them again.

In technical terms VorpX seems to work fine; the lesson I've drawn is that games really do need to be coded to work correctly with VR or small inconsistencies will cause big problems.