Chivarly Medieval Warfare - October 16th

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 06, 2012, 05:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

I've only bothered to play the tutorial section so far, but am not impressed.

Maybe if indeed we can unlock new weapons&armour it might be interesting, but otherwise I like War of the Roses more, however flawed it may be.

LongBlade

Quote from: PanzersEast on October 22, 2012, 08:25:28 AM
I purchased Chivalry and here are a couple of my quick observations (Long time M & B player).

Jumping - serisouly needs to be taken out.  A knight in full armor jumping around really takes away from the game and removes the "strategy".

First Person View - my favorite view, however it is flawed.  The up close and personal view and the brutality witnessed of the game makes it very fun, however your fov is at a disadvantage from those who use 3rd person view and I finally had to go to third person which when I did, I did a lot better in combat.

Fight Strategy - This can be done from those who want to square off 1 on 1, however you get backstabbed or face off 1 vs 2..3.. a lot, especially on larger servers so it just goes out the window.  There are many who just swing wildly and you tend to start doing the same.  Team work is hit on miss, depending on server.  This can be a plus or minus....

Brutality - The game is very brutal and gives you the feel of medieval combat.  The sounds are great and the combat can be real intense.  Seeing guys dismembered, arrows to the throat.....

Gameplay Options - Maps - Gameplay options are pretty good.  I mainly played the team objectives servers and they were a lot of fun.  I know it is hit or miss on these, but at least they keep guys pushing for an objective and it seems to really help.  We really need more maps and I know we will get more, but there needs to be more as they started to get the "this one again" feeling.

Balance - The balance seems to be pretty good.  I did not play the archer, but did play the others.  I did not see anything overpowering on the battle field. Most guys died as much or more than they killed.

Customization - As far as units go, you can select from a good array of weapons, however you cannot customize your armor (looks etc..).  The leveling system is "ok" to unlock other weapons, but not my favorite. I want more weapon choices, FLAIL anyone ;-)

I have had fun, but the jumping, first person flaw disappoints me... but overall it is an "ok" purchase.

PE

I wish I had the time and money to dig into Chivalry. I think I'd like it.

Thanks for the analysis, PE. That's good stuff. Please keep sharing this as it's helpful in figuring out what to play and how to prioritize it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Toonces

There was a good comparison video between WotR and Chivalry that I watched last weekend.  It didn't really help me choose one over the other; they both have plusses and minuses. 

I think I'm giving the slightest of edges to WotR, but I'm sure in time I will end up buying both.  I mean, why not?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

I'm having fun with Chivalry in small doses.  I've still only played the single-player against the bots.  They handle some of the maps better than others.  but when you get some good combat going, it is definitely quite fun.  WotR seems like the more polished game over-all though and I'm tempted to get it. So far, I've managed to successfully hold back.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

PanzersEast

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 22, 2012, 12:55:28 PM
I'm having fun with Chivalry in small doses.  I've still only played the single-player against the bots.  They handle some of the maps better than others.  but when you get some good combat going, it is definitely quite fun.  WotR seems like the more polished game over-all though and I'm tempted to get it. So far, I've managed to successfully hold back.

The best map Single Player is the Arena Map (kick someone into the spikes... epic)... that one if very fun.  I am also tempted to get WoTR.  I still feel 3rd person has the advantage unless you use archers.  I did notice that there are some servers that lock to 1st person view only.

The handeling of the weapons feel right, a great sword feels and swings like one.  I love how the game says aim for their head.... yea right, easier said then done and man are those Men-at-Arms pesky. 

PE

Jarhead0331

I've tried playing Chivalry in the 3rd person mode and I just can't get used to it after playing so much in 1st person.  I agree, situational awareness is better in 3rd person, but I just can't aim and hit a target to save my life when not in 1st person.

I actually have not tried the arena map yet!  I've enjoyed the Stonehill village one with objective based play.  So far I've managed to pillage the village and kill all the filthy peasants, use the battering ram to break into the castle, and take control over the castle's great hall.  But, I have been unable to find the king to kill him.  I'll have to keep working on that.  Don't know where the cowardly bastage is hiding!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bob48

^If he has any sense, the bugger will be miles away by now ;D
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bob48 on October 23, 2012, 07:03:05 AM
^If he has any sense, the bugger will be miles away by now ;D

He is probably hiding in R&P at the wargamer, where nobody will EVER find him.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

jomni

PanzersEast

Quote from: jomni on October 25, 2012, 09:02:25 AM
So what's the verdict?  This or WotR?

Have not played WotR, however I have enjoyed Chivalry... but, I think it may not be worth the 24.99 price tag.  Maybe 14.99 would be a better price as it is getting harder to hold my interest, but I will play some here and there.

PE

PanzersEast

After spending a little more time with it.... I have been liking it less lately and regret paying full price...

PE

Pete Dero

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free

The promised closed beta testing for Mirage: Arcane Warfare is now underway. Torn Banner Studios celebrates the news with a beta launch trailer and a beta walkthrough trailer. They also announce that preorders will get underway shortly on Steam, and to celebrate, they will make Chivalry: Medieval Warfare free today on Steam, allowing everyone 24 hours to download the new game's predecessor for free. Finally, they also announce the melee combat game now carries a May 23rd release date, which is a delay, since it was announced for release last year.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/219640/

Philippe

I took advantage of the free download.  I'm seriously thinking that I paid too much and may uninstall it later tonight.

Just to clarify:  it took my glacially slow internet connection a couple of hours for the download.  The thing is occupying a chunk of space on my hard drive.  I moved around one of the siege sets and it really wasn't that realistic looking.  Then I started looking for historical single player scenarios, or any scenarios for that matter.  There weren't any.

I'm inclined to stick with Mount and Blade and will probably uninstall later tonight.  If others feel the same as I do, that's really bad news for their business model.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Raied

Guys check this game out: Mordhau, it is based on Chivalry but done with another indie delveloper, it will be more realistic plus cavalry will be added.
here is there kick starter page, I backed it up, I was very disappointed by the direction that chivalry took, so I hope Mordhau will be the savour of first person melee genre.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/430135984/mordhau/description