Napoleonic FPS 9 days from steam early access - Holdfast Nations at War

Started by Destraex, September 12, 2017, 04:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Cheimison

An FPS where you can shoot four times a minute. INTENSE!

I like Napoleonic games and history, but an FPS? Geezus. Best class: artilleryman.

Destraex

The forumites are nuts though.
There is one moderator over there who likes to joke with the public about upcoming features and then be serious other times about upcoming features.
I get the impression that the moderators are even younger than the dev team. I must be getting old. :)
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

What's the final verdict on this? Is it worth $14.99? Will there ever be bots or any single player skirmish component?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Hofstadter

I enjoy it, get it during sale though. Right now it's not exactly varied and very simple, but very fun
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Destraex

Cyrano

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Destraex

haha Cyrano... do you happen to have any affiliation with the Highlanders?

Destraex

There were 3 x US servers with full 150 player compliments when I had a quick look today.

Destraex

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 12, 2017, 08:35:01 AM
Quote from: Destraex on September 12, 2017, 08:26:17 AM
The prophecy foretold. I will take a risk on it if it's only $20. This game may be the one that makes the period popular.... ww1 was made popular by BF1... but that thing had ridiculous budget support.

That, and its WWI in name only. Very little else about it is actually WWI appropriate.

Look at Verdun, on the other hand. By all accounts a really good period authentic game, but held back by its sole emphasis on mp online play. Those games will never have a large community that will stick around for years. Definitely lend themselves to a hardcore base of loyal fans, but that is usually not enough for longevity.

I find myself getting increasingly frustrated over MMO or MP only games that I would otherwise
Enjoy. There are people at the Naval Action forums who want to shut down the PVE server to force everyone to PVP. Not realizing that me and 80% of the people on thee would simply not play. I get that an MP game can be easier since there is no AI but I just wonder if some of these MP only games had a SP component they would be more successful. Maybe I'm just a grumbly 45 year old who doesn't want to have to deal with clans Of 19 year old college dorm-mates
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Destraex

Mickek you are correct in a lot of ways. I too am now getting frustrated with all of the young upstarts on the Holdfast servers who just want to play dorm room tom foolery and act the goat. That and the sheer amount of swearing like they think they are army veterans. That is why it is best to get on with some good ole boys who know the drill and are of the same mind as you. It is really frustrating to keep being told by these young guys that nobody wants the game to have any formation mechanics because then the game would not be casual enough. They do not want to be forced into formations by mechanics.... i.e. they just want to run n gun like ww2. They think that making formations viable will ruin the game. What a drag for the only real napoleonic shooter that is up and coming currently. What a shame.