What were the earliest video games you played?

Started by Greybriar, August 18, 2018, 12:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

In order:

First game I ever played on a computer.

Tomahawk ZX Spectrum

I loved this and spent hundreds of hours on it.

Amiga F-19 Stealth Fighter

Early 90's. This was addictive.
The Amazing Spider-Man (Gameboy)

Mortal Kombat (Game Boy)

Star Wars: Tie Fighter

Metalgear Solid (PS1) - just simply a brilliant game.

Parasite Eve 2- (PS1)

Medal of Honor (PS1) I loved this game.

Medal of Honor: Underground (PS1) IMO it topped the first one.

Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins (PS1) - had a lot of fun with this.

Pete Dero

Ian C

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 20, 2018, 06:54:42 AM
Video not showing.

Fix : N00bs Guide to Embedding Youtube Vids in Posts  http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=4814.0

Well hell. Whatever happened to the days we could just paste the link onto the post and use the Youtube icon to link it? I thought this stuff was meant to be practical.

BanzaiCat

My first computer (that was mine and not the family's) was a TRS-80 model III. 16K of RAM and no floppy drive, so anything I ran on it had to be entered as BASIC code and played in one sitting. Once the power was off, no more game.

The big day was when my grandfather, on my birthday, sprung for a 5.25" floppy drive (!!!) AND doubled the RAM to 32K. I could save programs! That saved a buttload of typing.

I still remember the mainframes that we used in high school Basic Programming, my freshman year (1983-84). We had an Apple II computer hooked up to a TV in there and occasionally guys would be playing adventure games. Wish I could remember the one I first saw on it - a picture in color was displayed, you'd type in your command, and the picture would change (such as moving a rug, which I remember clearly, but nothing else unfortunately). As for the mainframe, I remember all of us budding hax0rs trying to figure out ways of f*cking with each other through it and finding new and creative ways to make it crash.

Yeah, a real wild bunch.  8)

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Ian C on August 20, 2018, 06:48:58 AM
Early 90's. This was addictive.
The Amazing Spider-Man (Gameboy)

That game was eminently frustrating as hell. I still remember saving up for that Gameboy ($120 at the time, IIRC) and had bought a handful of games for it, this being one of them, over the next couple of years. I still have the Gameboy somewhere I think, but I haven't seen my Spider-man cartridge for a long time.

Gusington

I have your Spider Man Gameboy cartridge and a copy of your Move the Rug simulator.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I remember standing in Sears drooling on the floor watching F-15 Strike Eagle playing on a IBM screen. And that was back when I didn't drool all the time like I do now. And the very first Silent Service....  :dreamer:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I played that very first Silent Service on my C64.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

There was another sub sim I played first, can't remember the name, set in the Pacific. I loved it. Kampgruppe was ugly as Grandpa's butt but great to play. The very first Might & Magic captured me and wouldn't let go until I found the Secret of The Inner Sanctum.  :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Kvothe

Possibly Ant Attack or Space Invaders - both on the ZX Spectrum 28K

Anguille

I am not sure because it was at a friends house. I think it was:

We played this a lot.

steve58

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 21, 2018, 09:22:34 AM
I remember standing in Sears drooling on the floor watching F-15 Strike Eagle playing on a IBM screen. And that was back when I didn't drool all the time like I do now. And the very first Silent Service....  :dreamer:

The thing I seem to remember most about F-15 Strike Eagle was the targets/carrier...just a plain ol triangle on the ground/sea ???  Gotta love those old time graphics.

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bob48

I'd forgotten about Ant Attack - we had it on the C64 and played it for hour upon hour!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Cyrano

A horse-racing simulator on the VAX mainframe at the University of Bloomington.

Then they told me they had a Star Trek game.

It was over.

I found out later they amended their policies to prohibit non-students from using the machines.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806