Tell me RPS isn't obsessed?!

Started by Jarhead0331, February 15, 2018, 10:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Asexuality is one of the most misunderstood identities under the LGBTQIA+ umbrella. Among other issues, it's extremely rare to see asexual characters in games or wider media, and when they do appear, they often fall into harmful stereotypes. January's Ace Jam invited developers to go some way to change this by creating games that feature characters on the asexual spectrum, and treat them respectfully.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/15/ace-jam-created-a-space-for-games-with-asexual-characters/#more-516767

Its getting increasingly more difficult for me to enjoy my visits to RPS. I am so disappointed that there are places where gender, sexuality and race are being injected into this hobby. Gaming was a last vestige where I could go to escape all the crap everyone else wants to ram down my throat.

Sure...its very rare for there to be "asexual" characters in games because they make up .000002% of the human population. Why should it be commonplace to see "asexual" characters in games, especially when the vast majority of games have nothing to do with sexuality. If you are asexual and are offended by sexual content, don't play games that have anything to do with sexuality or traditional sexual norms. So frustrating...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 10:08:38 AM
Sure...its very rare for there to be "asexual" characters in games ...

Not quite true.
Most characters in games don't practice sex at all, hence most characters ARE asexual :P

And I think by now the LGBTQA's proper term is the entire ABC (latin, greek, arabic, hebrew, chinese and cyrillic).

bbmike

Wot I Think - RPS has always sucked.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bbmike on February 15, 2018, 11:15:12 AM
Wot I Think - RPS has always sucked.

I've never cared for their reviews and certainly not their editorial content. However, as a source of current news, they are hard to beat. They definitely report across a wide segment of genres. I just wish they'd give the PC stuff a rest.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 11:17:39 AM
I just wish they'd give the PC stuff a rest.

and only talk about console games?!?   :hide:
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Toonces

Some folks just have to find something to be upset about.  Yes, I recognize the irony in that statement.   :knuppel2:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

RommelFox

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2018, 10:08:38 AM

Its getting increasingly more difficult for me to enjoy my visits to RPS. I am so disappointed that there are places where gender, sexuality and race are being injected into this hobby. Gaming was a last vestige where I could go to escape all the crap everyone else wants to ram down my throat.

I'm with you.  I stopped visiting RPS a while ago because of the constant injection of their politics/social prerogatives into their reviews.  I just want to read what the game is like, so I can get an idea if I'll enjoy it or not.  It's a game.  Not a political rally.
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

Gusington

I like them. However I never read their editorials.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

fran

Flare Path on Fridays is entertaining and a good source of upcoming games I'm interested in.

If they do push a certain agenda I tend to skip those articles most of the time.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Cyrano

I like the Flare Path.

Why RPS or any other organ thinks I need their opinion on issues of the kind referenced in the original post is well beyond me.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mirth

Quote from: Cyrano on February 15, 2018, 05:08:01 PM
I like the Flare Path.

Why RPS or any other organ thinks I need their opinion on issues of the kind referenced in the original post is well beyond me.

They were reporting on a new game that covers an unusual subject. It may not be relevant to any of us, but RPS is a site that reports broadly on games and the industry.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Cyrano

Asexuality is one of the most misunderstood identities under the LGBTQIA+ umbrella. Among other issues, it's extremely rare to see asexual characters in games or wider media, and when they do appear, they often fall into harmful stereotypes.

This lede is opinion not news.  The first sentence has little to do with gaming at all.  And all this speaks to JH's concern re: an agenda.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mirth

Quote from: Cyrano on February 15, 2018, 05:28:33 PM
Asexuality is one of the most misunderstood identities under the LGBTQIA+ umbrella. Among other issues, it's extremely rare to see asexual characters in games or wider media, and when they do appear, they often fall into harmful stereotypes.

This lede is opinion not news.  The first sentence has little to do with gaming at all.  And all this speaks to JH's concern re: an agenda.

What is not accurate about the statement? What agenda is the article pushing?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus