GOG.com - Close Combat Series

Started by CJReich46, February 06, 2018, 04:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 10, 2018, 03:02:28 PM
CC3, the game that started my internet gaming life.    :smitten:

Was it Panthers in the Fog that ended it?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

sandman2575

How well do the newest of the CC bunch -- Gateway to Caen and Panthers in the Fog -- hold up these days?  I'm someone who generally can't enjoy outdated games, no matter how terrific they were back in the day -- hence GOG.com is a site I almost never visit. Do Gateway and Panthers feel like games that were developed in the 90s?

Somehow, I've never played this series. Maybe I've just been waiting for The Bloody First to come out before diving in, but who knows when or if that will see the light of day.

Apocalypse 31

My biggest gripe with PiTF and GtC is that the AI seem to have gotten worse since CC:V.

It's at the point where the AI cannot mount an offensive, and usually just ends up scattered across the map.

Tuna

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 10, 2018, 03:02:28 PM
CC3, the game that started my internet gaming life.    :smitten:

For me, it was CC2 on the Microsoft Zone, then on to Fighter Ace! Of course, around then started the Steel Panthers PBEMing.

BanzaiCat

I spent WAY too much time playing CC3 to death back in the day. Loved that I could rename the squads/units and carry them from battle to battle. It was great fun going from 1941 to 1945, upgrading as you go along, getting new units, watching old ones die miserably on the steppes or in some nameless tractor factory...

One thing I didn't much like was doing so well initially that you get to assault the Kremlin. If you win, well, that pretty much means you get to capture Moscow, which seems to be a turning point in the war. Maybe not, though. I could see how things turn against Germany and they lose Moscow and eventually things take a different course.

I haven't even looked at the Matrix version - maybe they have something more ahistorical there?

BradS62

Having just purchased my first PC, CC3 and Panzer Elite were my first games. Coming from cardboard counters late 70s, to playing CC Russian Front against human opponents at the then MS Gaming Zone- holy shit what a blast! Sweaty palms and heart-thumping action as my opponent fires smoke and assaults my position on a hill, gaming heaven. Now I yearn to pull out my old ASL rules binder. Board games, dice, and IFT charts, keep calling me.

jomni

Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 11, 2018, 11:44:28 AM
I spent WAY too much time playing CC3 to death back in the day. Loved that I could rename the squads/units and carry them from battle to battle. It was great fun going from 1941 to 1945, upgrading as you go along, getting new units, watching old ones die miserably on the steppes or in some nameless tractor factory...

One thing I didn't much like was doing so well initially that you get to assault the Kremlin. If you win, well, that pretty much means you get to capture Moscow, which seems to be a turning point in the war. Maybe not, though. I could see how things turn against Germany and they lose Moscow and eventually things take a different course.

I haven't even looked at the Matrix version - maybe they have something more ahistorical there?

Play WITE and you'll feel the same.  The Russians just won't quit even if you take their cities.

MIGMaster

I was happy to see the originals being released. I still have a copy of the version they did for the marines as a training tool around here somewhere??? I always thought the Russian front game was the best!!

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: sandman2575 on February 10, 2018, 03:39:29 PM
How well do the newest of the CC bunch -- Gateway to Caen and Panthers in the Fog -- hold up these days?  I'm someone who generally can't enjoy outdated games, no matter how terrific they were back in the day -- hence GOG.com is a site I almost never visit. Do Gateway and Panthers feel like games that were developed in the 90s?

For me they didn't hold up at all. I loved CC back in the day, CC3 (Eastern Front) was probably the high point. The Battle of the Bulge title that came after had a tedious campaign model where you played back and forth over the same maps right where the action was most crucial, to the point it got boring to play rapidly.

I just find it tedious now, because the units move slowly and the LOS is not intuitive. Particularly for different levels - it's hard to figure out hull down positions, what can see what up at elevation. A true 3D display would make things interesting, but they tried twice to use the engine for that - GI Combat, and Eric Young's Squad Assault - and they were a mixed bag.

Combat Mission probably still delivers the best bang for the buck at this scale, though there are some newer titles getting a lot of discussion in the wargaming groups on Facebook that look promising.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: sandman2575 on February 10, 2018, 03:39:29 PM
Somehow, I've never played this series. Maybe I've just been waiting for The Bloody First to come out before diving in, but who knows when or if that will see the light of day.

I see on the Matrix site that this attempt at a 3-D version was promised in 2014. I'd love to see it personally, but that kind of delay seems problematic...

Gusington

So I should look in to Cross of Iron instead of CC3?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tuna

Remember Panzer Genera 3D, think i still have the disk in the cellar.

mirth

Quote from: Tuna on February 14, 2018, 03:50:27 PM

I still have my copy. Somehow it was never as much fun as PG II.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Tuna

Quote from: mirth on February 14, 2018, 04:03:04 PM
Quote from: Tuna on February 14, 2018, 03:50:27 PM

I still have my copy. Somehow it was never as much fun as PG II.

No, but my kids liked it when they were younger.

Sir Slash

So did I way back in the '90's on my very first Big Boy computer with a 32 in. monitor about the size of a Volkswagen.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.