Battlefleet Gothic Armada II

Started by Gusington, January 24, 2018, 02:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Labbug

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada II is available on Steam 1/24/19.

Jarhead0331

The last phase of the beta is open now. I like it...the strategic game is better this time around. Moving fleets around to capture and hold sectors, which provide unique bonuses and perks, resource collection and fleet customization. As far as the tactical battles go, they feel similar, but there are strategic points to capture. Holding these locations earns you points and the side that collects the most points can win the battle without destroying the enemy fleet. I'm not sure if I like this, or not. 

One thing I don't like so far is the maps. They are a bit..."busy"...if you will. Too many astronomical features and objects really distract from the ships themselves.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I have the original but never played it. With II coming out now should I even bother playing the first? This sequel looks better to me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

There is definitely a lot more going on in the sequel. Its certainly bigger, but I'm not sure if the gameplay is fundamentally better....too early to tell.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Geezer

I also have the original but only put about 5 hours into it before deciding I didn't care for it.  Will probably wait on this one for more comments here and reviews before deciding if enough improved to make me want it.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Gusington

Thanks JH and Geezer. I almost want to buy II right now because it sounds TWish, in a good way.

Hopefully I will be able to hold out...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

I'm not holding out.  Going to give the beta a spin right now.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on January 20, 2019, 10:41:00 PM
Post impressions!

Spent most of the night looking at the Blood Moon through my Orion, but I've had a bit to give it a run. 

Seems more fun than the first, that I played little of, on first impression.  Impressive selection of fleets.  Imperial Battleships seems really beefy.  Lots and lots of options, too much to wrap my head around in just a few minutes.

Had a few crashes at start but running smoothly now.  Very pretty. 

I'll add some more later after I get to run through a mission or two.  Just shooting up stuff with ships so far. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

Thank you. I like me some beefy battleships.

I think I owe it to my wallet to play at least one campaign through of the original before buying the sequel.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Of course, I just noticed the special offer of 25% off for owners of the original game. Which brings the price down to a reasonable 29.99. Hard to resist that.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on January 21, 2019, 10:18:30 AM
Of course, I just noticed the special offer of 25% off for owners of the original game. Which brings the price down to a reasonable 29.99. Hard to resist that.

That's why I jumped at it.  I put in very little time with the first game, but I did own it. 

I actually played around with both last night to refresh myself and compare. 

I like the UI and the overall feel of the battles more in the new one.  Things seem to move slower and more methodically, with the ability to pause giving a lot more consideration for tactics. 

Campaign in the new one also seems to offer a lot more, but I didn't get to spend a lot of time with it and you can't save in the Beta, so I'm not going to really delve into that until later.

Not sure how I feel about the point capping system in battles.  AI seems to go whole hog for the cap and spread themselves out pretty badly.  I'd say so far the tactical AI is kind of poor, but that's just a first impression. 

One complaint I had about the first seems to be in the second.  Some battles just devolve into a slog of ships turning and offering broadsides until one goes down.  Not much else happening with out extreme micro.   

SirAndrewD

Also of note, for 40k fans, the story in Armada 2 is a lot more "relevant" than the story from the first game. 

It takes place during the 13th Black Crusade, rather than the much older Gothic War.  The Prologue of the game covers the story of the Fall of Cadia, and seeing it in all of its horror is pretty cool if you're into the lore. 

JasonPratt

So, strictly speaking, it's no longer a "Gothic" Armada? ^-^
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I like my armada's as Gothic as possible.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd